Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack for Android users

TOPIC: Sync Issue After Installing VPN Client

Sync Issue After Installing VPN Client 4 years 10 months ago #27333

• rbrose
  • Fresh Boarder
I recently started using a VPN client on my home computer. When it is connected, my device will no longer sync with my computer. Even when I try via USB, it does not find the device. If I disconnect, it all works. The VPN client splits the local traffic from the internet traffic, so my computer ethernet card still holds an IP in the same subnet as my device. Anyone got this working or will I just need to keep disconnecting when I want to sync? Let me know if I need to give any other info.

Thanks
Rick
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sync Issue After Installing VPN Client 3 years 9 months ago #37853

• rouget
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Rick,

I have the same issue as well.

Were you able to resolve this issue?

rbrose wrote:
I recently started using a VPN client on my home computer. When it is connected, my device will no longer sync with my computer. Even when I try via USB, it does not find the device. If I disconnect, it all works. The VPN client splits the local traffic from the internet traffic, so my computer ethernet card still holds an IP in the same subnet as my device. Anyone got this working or will I just need to keep disconnecting when I want to sync? Let me know if I need to give any other info.

Thanks
Rick

Re: Sync Issue After Installing VPN Client 3 years 9 months ago #37859

• rbrose
  • Fresh Boarder
I was not able to resolve it. The USB sync started working and has been fine, but I was never able to get the WiFi to work with the VPN.

Re: Sync Issue After Installing VPN Client 3 years 9 months ago #37860

• Faba
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hy,

This behavior is expected because when you are connected you are part of the "Virtual Private Network (VPN)" and not part of your home network. So you either a part of the vpn or your homenetwork but not both. There might be solution to achieve this but why too much work than simply disconnect to sync.

Hope I helped you guys

Faba

Re: Sync Issue After Installing VPN Client 3 years 9 months ago #37862

• rbrose
  • Fresh Boarder
Faba,

I don't think that is true. When the VPN uses split tunneling then it can allow for different traffic on the local network versus the internet traffic. Other devices on my local network are smart enough to see the computer connected to the VPN without issues.

Thanks
Rick

Re: Sync Issue After Installing VPN Client 3 years 9 months ago #37863

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
Try this:

On CRW, go to preferences->advanced->wireless setup and put the ip address of your android device on the text box and press "Test". If the test works, then you'll be able to sync wirelessly as long as you start the operation from CRW (so only half your problem will be fixed).

fK
The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrose

Re: Sync Issue After Installing VPN Client 3 years 9 months ago #37864

• Faba
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
@rbrose

yeah you might be correct I'm no vpn expert and nowadays the term VPN is used for all kind of implementation on different network layers so it might be the case the just his ip address changes when he is connected via vpn and CR not able to find it anymore.

Let's say we are both right :)

Re: Sync Issue After Installing VPN Client 3 years 9 months ago #37923

• rbrose
  • Fresh Boarder
@forkicks I tried the test and it worked. SO there is definitely some communication between the two. I'm so used to syncing with USB that I'm not too concerned about getting it working the other way. But I appreciate the insight into this. I might mess around some more this weekend and see if I can figure out what the issue might be.

Re: Sync Issue After Installing VPN Client 3 years 9 months ago #37926

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
you could try adjusting the 'metric' parameter on both conections TCP-IP properties. Windows will automatically use the interface with a lower metric. To check and change your network adapters' metric:

1. Open Command Prompt and type: route print - you will see a list of active routes, the last column displaying their "metric". Lower metric routes are preferred over higher ones.

2. Open the Network Adapter Properties (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > right-click on adapter and choose Properties)
3. Open the properties of Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
4. Click on Advanced.
5. Untick "Automatic Metric" and set the interface metric to a number.
6. Hit OK until you close the Network Adapter properties.
7. Repeat steps 2-6 for your other network adapter(s) choosing different metrics. Remember lower metrics are preferred over higher ones.

Check the new metrics in Command Prompt by typing: route print
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by pweasel.
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Who's Online

We have 233 guests and one member online