Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack for Android users

TOPIC: Won't stop refreshing library!

Won't stop refreshing library! 3 years 9 months ago #38412

• Voicekiller
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm new to Comic Rack as I just switched from an iPad to a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. I have a class 10 32GB lexar Microsd card that I put my books on. The issue that I am having is that Comic Rack continues to refresh my library the whole time I have the app open. Is this the norm or do I have a legitimate issue? Because it sure is getting aggravating while I'm trying to read. I have tried clearing the app cache and uninstalling and reinstalling. Neither fixed the problem. Help me please!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Won't stop refreshing library! 3 years 9 months ago #38413

• DanSireUK
  • Fresh Boarder
I am having the same issue on a new Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1.

Won't stop refreshing library! 3 years 9 months ago #38441

• edrowley
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have the same problem. Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 with books on SDCard. This pretty much makes the app unusable!

Won't stop refreshing library! 3 years 9 months ago #38442

• spidermitch
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm having the same issue. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note3, which just recieved the KitKat 4.4.2 update. Then this issue started happening: Every 20 seconds or so, it Refreshes the library. I tried another sync, which hung on comicrack.ini... Tried to abort the sync from there, and it wouldn't go away after about :30 I force closed the app.

Thinking it was a permission issue, I removed all files in the SD\comics folder, uninstalled the application completely, then reinstalled from the play store. Even without any comics in the folder, the app seems to constantly refresh the library every 15-20 seconds.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot the issue. P.S. syncing the same set of comics from the same computer to my Asus Transformer works flawlessly. It's on Android 4.2.1. Both devices are stock OTA and not rooted.

Won't stop refreshing library! 3 years 9 months ago #38448

• Voicekiller
  • Fresh Boarder
So obviously it's an Android 4.4.2 issue.

Won't stop refreshing library! 3 years 9 months ago #38451

• spidermitch
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
So after some testing, I found that any 3rd app can't write to the extSD card. This led me into researching that issue to find a solution for this one. Bottom line: Android 4.4.2 removes a permission (android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE) which makes many apps that utilize the external SD card for storage/cache/settings/files, etc... mess up.

The primary use for my phone is to copy media to it: comics, books, music, etc... and I use the SD card as primary storage for this purpose. While testing the different apps, I did find a couple of them had done updates which allowed them to manipulate ONLY said file-type on the SD card. I'm not a developer, so I don't know what they did to get it working with their apps. Maybe ComicRack Android can do something like this to .cbp .cbr .cbz... However since comicrack.ini is stored in the folder I chose to store the comics, it was failing to sync & even pair with the device.

My somewhat radical solution (i could have tried syncing everything to the internal SD card, but I want to use my external SD card, dammit!) was to root my phone & add the permission back in. If anyone needs to know how to do this, or wants more info on the 4.4.2 SD card issue, follow this link.

Now that it's rooted & SD permissions fixed, the constant library refreshes (the initial thing i noticed) is gone, and I am able to successfully pair and sync.

I'm still trying to find out if this is completely a Google Android 4.4.2 Kitkat issue or an issue introduced by Samsung's implimentation of 4.4.2. I've seen some say Google, others say Samsung. Either way, removing a user's ability to use their device by blocking direct access to their SD card is wrong.

Won't stop refreshing library! 3 years 9 months ago #38453

• Voicekiller
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay, after doing some research I found on another forum to move the app to the SD card and that would fix the problem. I went into the application manager and found Comic Rack and it did give me the option of moving it to the SD card. I did so and still no luck, same problem.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Voicekiller.

Won't stop refreshing library! 3 years 9 months ago #38459

• Voicekiller
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's the latest. I moved my comics folder from the SD card to the device memory and no more issues. Works perfectly. What the hell? I want to be able to us my SD card for storage! Is this an Android 4.4.2 issue or a Samsung issue?
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Voicekiller.

Won't stop refreshing library! 3 years 8 months ago #38657

This is an issue with the ComicRack app. Google added additional security measures to block rogue apps from wiping out your SD memory card.

All they need to do is update the way they write data to the SD card to comply with the new KitKat security protocols.

I was about to buy this app but I am using a Galaxy Note 3 with a super fast Sandisk 64gb micro SD card and ComicRack is basically useless on my device as well.

So, the faster ComicRack developers can update their app to be compliant with the more secure KitKat update, the faster they can take my money.

Won't stop refreshing library! 3 years 8 months ago #38658

• edrowley
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
It would be really nice if we could get some sort of acknowledgment that this is a known problem and that it's being worked on. It really does make the app useless for me.
Time to create page: 0.765 seconds

Who's Online

We have 222 guests and 3 members online