Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics
  • Page:

TOPIC: [Tutorial] Organize eComic folders using third-party software

[Tutorial] Organize eComic folders using third-party software 6 years 9 months ago #11427

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
How to organize eComic folders in Windows Explorer. Here are some of my thoughts about this oft-asked topic. I have also provided link for third=paty software that some of you may like, followed by a step-by-step 'tutorial' for those who are interested. Tell me if you like it.. or any suggestions to improve these, or your own methods.. B)

Third-party software that come in handy every now & then:

• Malor89's Perl scripts: a revolution in the field of eComic organization at the windows explorer level. Need I say more ? (Requirement: a Perl interpreter like Active Perl installed on your system)
  • Suction: purge all your eComics into one folder by clicking suction from the explorer right click context menu.
  • File to Folder: essentially the mini-reverse of Suction. Helpful when you wish to put a file into the folder of its name.

• Pack to Folder: A File Menu Tools extension. FileMenu Tools allows you to customise the context menu of Windows Explorer. And it lets add some built-in utilities that perform operations on files and folders, and add customised commands which run external applications, copy/move to a specific folder or delete specific file types. To use Pack to Folder, Select a group of files & click pack to folder. Input the desired folder name, & all the selected files go into that folder.

• Treecopy: Copy folders without files. Useful when you just want to copy folder directory and not the actual files.
  • ReNamer: prefixes, suffixes, replacements, case changes, remove contents of brackets, add number sequences, strip characters, serialize etc. Can also use Bulk File Manager, Advanced Renamer (A file menu tools extension) or Better file rename (paid software).
  • Text to Folder: use a text file to automate creation of folder names, based on those specified in the text file. Can also use New Folder Creator for more intuitive circumstances.

File Attachment:

File Name: publishers.txt
File Size:1 KB

• File Sieve 3: Select the directories you would like to sort, choose a sorting method (out of the 13 methods available !), and then click on Start and FileSieve will "sieve" the selected items according to the sorting method and any optional settings you have set. Most useful for making eComic folders by year or by alphabetical order(#, A to Z).

How to organize your eComic folders in 10 easy (and automated) steps:

1. Run Suction on your main eComic folder, which presumably is unorganized. Now, you get all the comic archives inside one big folder.

2. Use fixnames.pl to fix mangled file names and also renames zip or rar to cbz or cbr. Example: "Comic_02__of_03___2010___Scanner-Name_.zip" to "Comic 02 (of 03) (2010) (Scanner-Name).cbz"

3. Use setmodified.pl and finddups.plto correct the date, archive status, and find dupes.

4. Create Publisher folders, using Text to folderr. Import the attached sample text file for one directory style. Alternatively, you can simply unzip the attached Comic Folders.zip to get a pre-made folder directory that you can modify as per your requirements. Use File Sieve if you wish to opt for a date-based or alphabetical directory structure.

5. Add eComics to your ComicRack library, and run ComicVine Scraper. Convert all to cbz. Group by publisher. Use Move Files script to move eComics to their respective publisher folder. Skip to step 6 if you do not wish for a publisher-based structure.

6. Run makedirs.pl to in each publisher folder (or date folder, or alphabetical folder)to make new series folders if there are 2 or more eComics with similar names (i.e. belonging to same series). The threshold number for creating new directories can be changed by using notepad to edit the .pl file.

7. Run comicsort.pl to match the comic name to existing series folders and then move them accordingly. This script checks the parent directory for matching names and sorts the comics accordingly, any comics that don't match are place in the misc directory. Duplicate files aren't moved and remain in the current directory.

8. [optional] Run foldernamer.pl to add year and complete/ongoing tags to the series folders.

9. Now, all your comics are contained in a properly organized folder directory structure. As you would acquire more and more comics in your 0-day folder, things would again start becoming disorganized. Here is where malor's makesort+listsort perl scripts come into handy. Run makesort.pl on your just organized library to get a comiclist.txt file that contains a list of your directory structure. Now all you need to do is to run listsort.pl in your 0-day library (best is every week) to sort all these new comics to their folders.

10. More often than not, you will acquire comics belonging to new series (i.e. series for which you do not have a folder in your library). The listsort.pl script would place all these in a misc folder inside the 0-day folder. You would have to repeat steps 5, & 6 for these comics belonging to new series.

Download all the above software and accompanying files in a single link here:
http://www.multiupload.com/PFTKOC9LPW

Your thoughts are most welcome.. :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kerviel

[Tutorial] Organize eComic folders using third-party software 6 years 9 months ago #11428

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Just throwing out my favorite app ever - I use FreeCommander as an all-in-one file/folder manager, archive manager, and batch file renamer.

[Tutorial] Organize eComic folders using third-party software 6 years 9 months ago #11432

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Great contribution 600!, thanks!

[Tutorial] Organize eComic folders using third-party software 6 years 9 months ago #11433

• 600WPMPO
Shinrai wrote:
Just throwing out my favorite app ever - I use FreeCommander as an all-in-one file/folder manager, archive manager, and batch file renamer.
FreeCommander is good.. specially has a powerful renaming function. I have also used total commander, xplorer2, XYplorer, and even Directory Opus.

Nowhere do these 'heavyweights' come half as close to malor89's perl scripts. All of the malor89 scripts can be accessed from File menu tools. As far as organizing eComics is involved, the simplicity of File Sieve, Suction and file menu tools is all that is needed. Specially for users like me who do not need functions like MD5 checksums, FTP-related functions, etc.

But, in all, this is a very subjective thing, and requirements, likes & dislikes vary a lot between users. Still, if all the functions described in the first post can be attained from one stand-alone program, I'll be most happy to learn it.. B)

Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by 600WPMPO.

[Tutorial] Organize eComic folders using third-party software 6 years 9 months ago #11435

• hitchcock416
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
i would say that the Organize Library Files & Folders comicrack script by oraclexview does everything that i need it to do. sets everything up perfectly to keep track of which series you are looking at.

[Tutorial] Organize eComic folders using third-party software 6 years 9 months ago #11438

• 600WPMPO
hitchcock416 wrote:
i would say that the Organize Library Files & Folders comicrack script by oraclexview does everything that i need it to do. sets everything up perfectly to keep track of which series you are looking at.
Good for a lot of people, I agree. I specifically refuse to use this script as everytime I have used it in the past, it messed up a lot of things in my library. e.g. If I would like to keep comics belonging to one Crossover inside one folder, it doesn't agree. If I like to keep all Batman comics inside sub-folders in a Batman folder, it does not agree. The script allows for almost zero customization. If you mess up your library with this script, there is no going back.

Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by 600WPMPO.

[Tutorial] Organize eComic folders using third-party software 6 years 9 months ago #11554

• Sakkath
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks 600WPMPO

Karma is on the way.

I have a huge unsorted collection and its a pain in the neck to do it manually.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the fine line between sanity and madness gotten finer?
George Price

[Tutorial] Organize eComic folders using third-party software 6 years 7 months ago #12594

• flips
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Thanks for putting this together! This is a great tutorial! I've only been using comic rack for a couple of weeks (or for that matter ecomics at all) so please bear with me if these are obvious questions.

- You say that setmodified finds dups and missing issues? How is that done? I don't see anything about that in the code. Or are you referring to other scripts for the last two items?
- After I scrape I use the built in automation to rename the file with the default format. My file names must not be as clear as yours are. After that some files are getting random underscores in the filename which fixfilenames takes care of.
- When I convert cbr to cbz in comic it changes the archive structure a bit. Instead of having a folder of the original filename with the files inside, it removes that folder and changes the names of the files to just P00001.jpg, etc. Extract and rename will re-create this directory and file names from the new file name of the archive. Is there any reason you would want to do this or not want to do this? I'm guessing it doesn't really matter, but I'm trying to be thorough... :)
- A number of my files have scanner credits show up as the cover. (a practice that drives me nuts frankly). If I mark those pages as deleted when I do an export to cbz, those images are deleted forever, is that true? I tried the remove scanner credits script, but it looks like that script isn't working, at least for me. The last couple of posts in the forum thread seem to indicate this.

Thanks,
flips

[Tutorial] Organize eComic folders using third-party software 6 years 6 months ago #13048

• Kerviel
  • Fresh Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
Group by publisher. Use Move Files script to move eComics to their respective publisher folder. Skip to step 6 if you do not wish for a publisher-based structure.

I apologize in advance if this is something I am overlooking and it's right in front of my face, but I am working through this entire process from Step 1 and after just finishing scraping my entire library I can't seem to figure out exactly where this Move Files script is.

[Tutorial] Organize eComic folders using third-party software 6 years 6 months ago #13049

• Samael69
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
I use File Renamer Basic for renaming files and folders if need be. It's quite powerful and supports advanced things such as RegEx. I didn't need anything quite so verbose as FreeCommander.

download.cnet.com/File-Renamer-Basic/3000-2248_4-10306538.html
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds

Who's Online

We have 177 guests and 7 members online