Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: How to organize your comic folders using Library Organizer?

How to organize your comic folders using Library Organizer? 6 years 2 weeks ago #16801

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
What do you need to follow this tutorial?

File Attachment:

File Name: Library Or...0-02.zip
File Size:5 KB
  • My Organizing Smart Lists. Download:

File Attachment:

File Name: LO-1 Move Me.cbl
File Size:1 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: LO-2 Tag Me.cbl
File Size:1 KB

What folder structure will we get by this method?

A big Comics folder, that contains all comics inside their own Publisher folders. Every Publisher folder contains its comics in sub-folders titled Series (Volume). The big two (DC & Marvel) get special treatment.

The first folder level are the Tags. These can be characters (like Captain America, Thor), locations (like Gotham City, Metropolis, OA), Universes (like Marvel Ultimate), or simply Complete/Ongoing folders.

The second level folders are the formats. These are: Main Series, Limited Series, Annuals, Trade Paper Back, One-Shot.

The third level folders are the individual Series (volume) folders.

Here is a screencast showing a tour of my comic folder structure for you:

Why this folder structure only?

There is no standard way of organizing your comic folders. These are matters of personal preference. You can use my way as an example of the excellent capabilities of ComicRack & Library Organizer, and then use it as you wish.

Step 1: Startup

Scrape all your comics using ComicVine Scraper. Import the Library Organizer profiles and smart lists into your ComicRack.

Step 2: 'Basic' profile

Click the LO-1 smart list to open its comics in the ComicRack Browser. Run the Basic profile on this smart list. This will sort all the non-DC, non-Marvel books into their respective Series (Volume) folders.

Step 3: Tagging

Click the LO-2 smart list to open its comics in the ComicRack Browser. This will contain all the DC & Marvel comics, waiting to be tagged and organized.

If only a few comics are there (0-days , for example), you can tag them individually. If a large number of comics arfe there, then you need to first make smart lists for each tag, and then batch-tag them. Here is how:
600WPMPO wrote:
Suppose we need to sort out all Punisher books in this manner:

What do we need to do for this?

First, we need all the Punisher books in one smart list. Easy:

Now, we need to add the tags and formats. As seen in the first screenshot above, we know that the tag we need to add is Punisher. Easy again. Select all the books in the Punisher smart list we created above, and write Punisher in the Tags field:

Tagging is done. Now, the difficult part: Formats. We have (see first screenshot) 5 formats:
  1. Annuals
  2. Main Series
  3. Limited Series
  4. One-Shot
  5. Trade Paper Back
It won't be difficult to make smart lists for finding out annuals, one-shots and TPB's. Next, write the Main series formats (again won't be difficult, as there would not be more than a few 'main series'.) The maximum Main series, for example, are with the Avengers.

Now, after this, all you would be left with are limited series. go write that tag.

Step 4: Running the Tags Profile

Once you have properly added the Tags and Formats on all your books, you are ready to run the Tags profile now. The Tags profile moves all the tagged files which do not have an alternate series field.

Watch this screencast to learn how:

Step 4: Running the remaining profiles

First the Tags-Alt Series profile must be run. All the Tagged files are now moved to their respective folders, and we are left with only untagged files. Now, we run the Ongoing profile on this list to move the books for which we have not marked Series Complete as Yes. Finally, we are left with the books which have series complete as Yes. We run the Complete profile on these books.

Watch this screencast to learn how:

Success!

If you followed all the steps correctly, you would have now got our desired folder structure.

Remember, it all depends on a well-scraped, and well-tagged library.

FAQ
FreddieP786 wrote:
Shinrai wrote:
I don't understand why you would do this with tags rather than just stuff like: "Characters contains Batman" or "Teams contains Avengers" or "Location contains Genosha". Maybe just me.

You could do that and it would probably be a much simpler way of doing it. I like doing it this way as it gives me much more control in managing my books.

For me I want my lists to be very specific. Using "Character contains Batman" would pull all the books that contain Batman, so yoou would end up with a list like Justice League, Superman/Batman, some Birds of Prey, some Outsiders and all the other books where he makes guest apprearances.

I prefer my Batman list to only have Batman books (Batman, Dark Knight, Detective Comics and Batman Inc.), so I tag my books individually as explained in 600WPMPO's tutorial.

Its all about personal choice, and that is what I love about Comicrack. You can customise it to your liking.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by 600WPMPO.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stonepaw, O.Ren, FreddieP786, alext41, felipasc

Re: How to organize your comic folders using Library Organizer? 6 years 2 weeks ago #16805

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Nicely done, Sir. +1 for the effort
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: altered thread title
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: How to organize your comic folders using Library Organizer? 6 years 2 weeks ago #16951

• Thales
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
@ 600

That's amazing!

You really outdid yourself!

Thanks so much for going through all this!

Real life getting in the way this last week, I will jump back in and go over this soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: How to organize your comic folders using Library Organizer? 6 years 1 week ago #17167

• 600WPMPO
Part 2: Fast tagging using smart lists

For all you guys who liked the first post above, here is another tutorial in this series. This basically expands the 'Step 3: Tagging' above.

Once your files are tagged, library organizer profiles will hardly take a few minutes to run. But, isn't the tagging process quite time-consuming and a hassle? No, not when you have the Tagging smartlists in your library.

Here are the tagging smart lists you need to import into your ComicRack:

File Attachment:

File Name: Tags.zip
File Size:13 KB

You just need to edit each of the lists, and change the location of your 0-day folder. Please note that the first two lists you should tag are the crossover and the flyer lists. This should be followed by the Tags lists and then the Formats lists.
Now, once the lists are in place, you would have your tagging completed in no time!

Here is a screencast which shows how I tagged 71 files in under 2 minutes:

Please tell me if the lists were helpful..:unsure:

Last Edit: 6 years 1 week ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: How to organize your comic folders using Library Organizer? 6 years 1 week ago #17265

• Thales
  • Junior Boarder
Had some time at long last and now I see this! Excellent!

Tagging the whole collection was getting on my nerves.

Sort of a snag right at the start though.

Question;

If I start with the Flyer and the crossover lists (flyer isn't a problem don't have any), crossover though throws me a bit.

My crossover list contains many books (2200+) from Action/Detective/Batman/etc, these are getting pulled into this list because of the empty (wild card?) field under alternate series in the crossover smart list correct? Since all these have alternate series info from cvdb they get pulled into this list?

Well if I then tag these as "crossover" when I go to the individual tag smart lists these books are of course still listed gotham/metropolis/etc and I would then end up re-tagging them right back to the way they were gotham/metropolis for instance.

Doesn't make much sense to me so I must be missing something here.

Don't want to go much further until I clear this up, any ideas?

Re: How to organize your comic folders using Library Organizer? 6 years 1 week ago #17266

• 600WPMPO
Thales wrote:
My crossover list contains many books (2200+) from Action/Detective/Batman/etc, these are getting pulled into this list because of the empty (wild card?) field under alternate series in the crossover smart list correct? Since all these have alternate series info from cvdb they get pulled into this list?

Well if I then tag these as "crossover" when I go to the individual tag smart lists these books are of course still listed gotham/metropolis/etc and I would then end up re-tagging them right back to the way they were gotham/metropolis for instance.
I knew you would ask this and was waiting for your post! ;)

Let me begin by saying that all this is a matter of personal preference. It all depends on which crossovers you give enough priority to be labelled as having the crossover tag, rather than going into the gotham/metropolis kind of tags.

For me, only big events are given the crossover treatment. For example, Secret invasion, blackest night, civil war, Fear Itself, Flashpoint etc. Smaller crossovers like, say Reign of doomsday/Schism, are not given place in the crossovers folder.

So basically when you see the books in the crossover list, you have to take a moment to see which ones are important to you. A better way for this is to edit the smart list and manually keep on adding rules like "Alternate series is Fear itself". Remove the existing rule that pulls all books with the empty (wild card) field under alternate series. Big crossovers are only 2-3 in a year, and adding new rules won't be required very often.

Once you do this, you would get only those books which have the specified crossover names in the alternate series field. Now comes another problem: What to do with books in continuity overlapping with the crossover books?

There are 2 types of crossovers. One which are self-contained e.g. Flashpoint (if you exclude 2 issues of booster gold). This means that no other book in current continuity is involved in it. You can safely mark all such books with the crossover tag.

The second kind are trouble. These are crossovers which have their own self-contained books, plus they meddle a lot with books which are in their current run as regular series at present. e.g. Blackest night, Fear Itself. So, what to do with these? You have to choose. I like to keep the crossover books in the crossover folder, and the overlapping currently running books into their respective tags. e.g. Fear itself #1 gets the 'crossover' tag, while books like Journey into mystery #625 get the 'Thor/asgard' tag, books like ghost rider v2011 #1 get the 'ghost rider' tag.

I find it more useful to have a "series contains fear itself" kind of a list better than the one using the alternate series field for these. So, for a smart list like this:

Most chances are that you would get the fear itself main books only, as the books in current continuity which overlap with the crossover have their own names, and would not have fear itself as the series name.

Still, if you wish to be quite specific, you can edit the above list to have the rule :Series starts with fear itself'

The remaining books, once you make a reverse list, are evident as the ones in current continuity. We will not use the 'crossover' tag for these.

So, basically the crossover tagging is a bit tricky and you would have to tweak it to suit your needs. Once you make it as you wish, all you would need to do in the future is to keep on adding the crossover names (as DC/Marvel make new ones).

Hope all this makes some sense. If something is not clear, please feel free to ask me..

Last Edit: 6 years 1 week ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: How to organize your comic folders using Library Organizer? 6 years 1 week ago #17267

• Thales
  • Junior Boarder
You must be psychic!!

As someone once said:

Verrrryyyy Eeeeenteresting!

Thanks, that does clear it up a bit.

I think the last big "EVENT" I followed through all the various crossovers was Secret Invasion so some choices will have to be made there. The big hoopla surrounding these never seems to pan out that well (IMHO) of course. Maybe it's just that they can't live up to all the hype.

This made it clear that I don't need to worry about this too much and for me as well I don't see the need to brake off three books in a 600+ run and make them separate.

Thanks again!

I will get back into this heavy again soon.

Re: How to organize your comic folders using Library Organizer? 6 years 1 week ago #17367

• lacosanostra84
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hey 600WPMPO, where did you get the folder icons? Did you just pull them off Google images or did you download them in a pack some place?

EDIT: Nevermind, can't customise my folder icons on my NAS drive where all my comics are stored :(
Last Edit: 6 years 1 week ago by lacosanostra84.

Re: How to organize your comic folders using Library Organizer? 5 years 11 months ago #17675

• jayempty
  • Fresh Boarder
okay, i'm going nuts here. Can you please tell me how i go about installing these .cbl files as well as the .lop files? I think i've looked everywhere and don't see how to do it. I would love to start organizing my comics by following your tutorial here, i just can't get past the first step.

I appreciate your help,
jayempty

Re: How to organize your comic folders using Library Organizer? 5 years 11 months ago #17762

• 600WPMPO
jayempty wrote:
okay, i'm going nuts here. Can you please tell me how i go about installing these .cbl files as well as the .lop files? I think i've looked everywhere and don't see how to do it. I would love to start organizing my comics by following your tutorial here, i just can't get past the first step.
Just follow the links at the beginning of the first post.

Give the ComicRack manual a good read.

Please note that this tutorial is meant for relatively experienced users...

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds

Who's Online

We have 222 guests and 6 members online