Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows?

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 6 years 1 week ago #17356

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
600WPMPO wrote:
Some people have reported that turning off USB debugging made their device searchable. Maybe it was the factor..? :unsure:

To point out to those who may have the same device, I did have to disable "USB Debugging" mode in order for ComicRack for Windows to recognize my Android Samsung Infuse 4G device.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 6 years 1 week ago #17394

• evilantal
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi there,

I was wondering something... Does the syncing also update the info and tags about the comic when they have been changed in ComicRack for Windows? Like for instance, the Alternate Series name.
Or does it only add and remove comics and update read/unread status?

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 6 years 1 week ago #17395

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
It does (should :)) also update all the changed information.

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 11 months ago #18113

• wwwescape
  • Junior Boarder
If anyone is having problems connecting, try starting the ComicRack app on your phone first and then trying paring a device. This worked for me...

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 9 months ago #19591

• fbilgrami
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I was having issues with my ASUS Transformer Tab. It was not getting detected at all (USB and Wifi). I am now using the paid version of the Android application.

I searched online and on forums but couldn't find a solution.
This is what I did:7

- Navigate to "location folder" on your android device (e.g. sdcard/Comics)
- Delete the comicrack config file, the only file in the folder.
- Go to > Edit > Devices > Pair with Device
- Select your device
- Select the folders / files you want to sync
- Scanning starts in the background, I can see icon moving in the Comicrack task bar and on the Android device.

It is scanning my comic collection from the network at the moment using the home wifi I can see some files.

I hope this helps someone.

Regards,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadouness

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 9 months ago #19631

• red_avatar
  • Fresh Boarder
I decided to support ComicRack by buying the app but I'm pretty disappointed by the sync function - it's almost useless for anyone with a decent size library.

Before, I used ES File Explorer to copy files from my hard drive to the Comics folder on my EEE Transformer and delete the ones I no longer needed. This way I had all the comics I wanted to read and it was quick and easy. When I installed ComicRack, I continued working this way and just refreshed the library.

But I THOUGHT that the sync function would be an intelligent one, letting you connect to the ComicRack library remotely using the app and then picking the comics you wanted, to have them synced to your device. Nice, easy, user friendly and fun.

Instead, we got some frankensteinian useless system which is more work and effort than my ES File Explorer way: you have to first pair the device and THEN tell ComicRack which folders you want to sync. Entire folders, not comics. I'm sorry but in what universe does the app creator live? Most comics are sizeable and the average comic folder of mine is easily 4-5GB in size.:unsure: From the app side, you can't pick squat.

So say I'm lying in bed and thinking "Hmm I'd like to read comic X" I have to get out of bed, go to my computer (yes it's always on), go to ComicRack, tag the folder, go back into bed, sync and then I get to read the comic. My old way was: remain in bed, start EZ File Explorer, go to the comic folder, select, copy, paste, start ComicRack and read. Guess which one is the easiest and fastest?

In short, please PLEASE make it so the app can browse your FULL library and let you select SPECIFIC comics instead of entire folders. Right now, it's a joke. I'm sorry, but it is. This is the worst kind of syncing - just a single button and no other options. Making everything set-up computer side is just wrong - even Spotify lets you load music for offline use in its app and music and comics you finish and move on unlike music.

For now, I'm going to give it 3 stars in marketplace until wifi sync gets more options app-side and lets you pick specific comics. Syncing entire folders is just crazy when some have hundreds of comics (and I already have 40 folders or so, so splitting up is not an option).
The following user(s) said Thank You: stolpi

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 9 months ago #19632

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
You can sync lists, not just huge monolithic folders, but I understand if you don't do your library organization like this it might not be convenient for you. It's certainly not conducive to your lying-in-bed-and-want-to-read-a-random-specific-book scenario.

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 9 months ago #19634

• red_avatar
  • Fresh Boarder
Shinrai wrote:
You can sync lists, not just huge monolithic folders, but I understand if you don't do your library organization like this it might not be convenient for you. It's certainly not conducive to your lying-in-bed-and-want-to-read-a-random-specific-book scenario.
I'm a very firm believer of remote control because that's what tablets and phones should let you do: let you have a portable solution. Here, you're always tied to the computer software for even minor changes which is disappointing.

And thanks for the list tip - it would help at least to only sync what I want - but again, you can't create these remotely. I really really hope this feature gets added - most other software that involves syncing, lets you control remotely what to sync.

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 9 months ago #19636

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
red_avatar wrote:
Shinrai wrote:
I'm a very firm believer of remote control because that's what tablets and phones should let you do: let you have a portable solution. Here, you're always tied to the computer software for even minor changes which is disappointing.

And thanks for the list tip - it would help at least to only sync what I want - but again, you can't create these remotely. I really really hope this feature gets added - most other software that involves syncing, lets you control remotely what to sync.

Red, I totally agree with you about the fact that the whole purpose of portable devices (especially those that have the ability to sync over wifi or bluetooth) is that they should be able to make changes or updates to your snyc preferences remotely. Trust me, I'm sure that cYo already has this feature in mind and plans on incorporating it as soon as possible. You also have to remember that this whole software suite (desktop and mobile) has been done by just 1 person and all within the last 3 to 4 years, with the mobile piece only within the last 6 to 9 months. This is an phenomenally rich application for as young as it is. So, even though I think a 3 star rating is a little extreme, I do understand your frustration. You'll see this app get better over leaps and bounds within a short period of time. :)
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 9 months ago #19638

• red_avatar
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm more than willing to change that score if the feature does get implemented - but you can only judge software by its current version and not about what might come later. I do love ComicRack and think it's a great piece of software which made the app all the more disappointing because I expected more considering the PC version is so brilliant.

But, I didn't come here to complain just to complain - I did it so the feature might get added in the future - I also gave plenty of information in my Android review why it got 3 stars only so they can decide whether to agree or not.

On a plus note: the "optimise" feature works really well and cuts the size of my comics in half yet still is very detailed so I'm pleased with that for sure. I really need a bigger SD card though, because of how syncing works - I only have a 4GB SD card. I don't want to store the comics on my internal drive because comics don't really need the faster reading speeds like HD clips do.
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Who's Online

We have 209 guests and 5 members online