Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows?

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 10 months ago #19656

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
oraclexview wrote:
cYo wrote:
I will add a warning. I'm not going to support them.
Solid CBRs are crazy on the PC and insane on a mobile device.

This is the first time I've ever heard of solid CBRs. I'm not a fan of CBRs to begin with, but just what are solid CBRs anyway and how are they different from other CBR files?

Thanks

Solid CBRs are rar archives created with the solid option turned on. This means that the whole archive is one big chunk (and will be a few kb smaller). The consequence for the reader is, that to unpack e.g. page 7 the decompression process has to work through page 1-6 and then can start decompressing page 7. And when you want to open page 8 you start again from the beginning this time working through 1-7 and so on (and now think this through with a 500 page manga). On top of this RAR has a very memory intensive and slow decompression process.

The only valid option to work with solid archives is to decompress the whole thing at the beginning, but this seems to be against the whole idea of a page based container format (and again think this through with a 500 page manga). It also doubles the space needed on the device.

And all this for naught. Best container for comics is a zero compression zip file. What people do not understand is that the images are already compressed. Adding one compression above another is mostly useless and in the case of solid CBRs even harmful (more memory, sdcard space and processor power=battery needed).

CRW supports solid archives, but of course has much more memory, much more page caching and much faster processors.

CRA will not support solid CBRs.
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by cYo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 10 months ago #19661

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
cYo wrote:
Solid CBRs are rar archives created with the solid option turned on. This means that the whole archive is one big chunk (and will be a few kb smaller). The consequence for the reader is, that to unpack e.g. page 7 the decompression process has to work through page 1-6 and then can start decompressing page 7. And when you want to open page 8 you start again from the beginning this time working through 1-7 and so on (and now think this through with a 500 page manga). On top of this RAR has a very memory intensive and slow decompression process.

The only valid option to work with solid archives is to decompress the whole thing at the beginning, but this seems to be against the whole idea of a page based container format (and again think this through with a 500 page manga). It also doubles the space needed on the device.

And all this for naught. Best container for comics is a zero compression zip file. What people do not understand is that the images are already compressed. Adding one compression above another is mostly useless and in the case of solid CBRs even harmful (more memory, sdcard space and processor power=battery needed).

CRW supports solid archives, but of course has much more memory, much more page caching and much faster processors.

Thanks for the class session cYo. I already didn't like the proprietary aspect of CBRs. This info makes an even stronger case against using CBRs. Also, great point you made on how image files are already designed with some level of compression built in, as is the case with most widely used digital file formats. One last question for you my friend. I believe another asked the same. How can you tell the difference between a solid CBR file and a non-solid CBR file?

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 10 months ago #19676

• red_avatar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
cYo wrote:

I never understood CBRs exactly for that reason - jpeg files + rar compression is completely useless. Heck, if a PDF is properly made for online reading (with jpeg compression), you can't compress it much either. I just checked and indeed, CBZ reads way faster and is just about the same size - I guess I know what I'll be doing then tonight, convert all those files!

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 10 months ago #19678

• red_avatar
  • Fresh Boarder
oraclexview wrote:
How can you tell the difference between a solid CBR file and a non-solid CBR file?
Open the CBR file with a program that can read RAR files and try to open a single file within - if you see it reading a long part of the file before it will open the file inside, it's a solid one. Without doing this, I'm not sure - browse them inside WinRAR maybe?

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 9 months ago #20805

• sterpazook
  • Junior Boarder
Hello
Need some help with syncronization.

1) I added all my books to the Library (PC)
2) Marked those I've read as "read"
3) Syncronized all "unread" comics with my Android tablet

Which parameters on the PC sync should I choose next time so that
1) comics I've completely read on the tab (not the "half-read") will be deleted from the tab but stay on PC.
2) new comics (which where added to PC library after previous syncronization with the tab) will be transfered to the tablet.

Can someone please explain with screenshots please?

Right now it seems like half-read comics are also deleted from the tab when I do the sync after adding new comics to PC library.

Thank you in advance.
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by sterpazook.

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 8 months ago #20987

• hotwheelz
  • Fresh Boarder
While I appreciate the sync features in Comic Rack, I feel you have to live or die by it.

I would prefer a more "simple sync." I keep all my comics in folders by publisher on my PC. This same structure is on my Asus Transformer Prime.

And maybe I'm just missing something. I created my library on CR and "vine scrapped" the data for
each book (800+). When I sync'd the tablet and PC, the comics were re-copied to the root of my
Transformer's Comic folder.

This tablet does not map as a drive/letter and browsing a directory with a large amount of files
is pretty slow. The flattening/renaming of the directory structure is not helpful to me.

Otherwise, I love CR for Android and it works well for me. However, with a clean Windows 7 install and clean CR install I find the PC version crashes (Stopped Working) often. I did find that removing the
cover icons from the lists did help. But, I run into random stops now and again, sometimes on
just launching the app.

The only other gripe I have (again maybe I missed it) is the lack of a status/progress feature on
the Android version during WiFi Sync. It's hard to tell if it's working or doing anything.

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 8 months ago #21147

My ComicRack doesn't even have the option in the Edit menu to sync my device...help?

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 8 months ago #21152

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
There is a status and progress during wifi sync.
The Wifi sync command is only available if wifi is actually turned on.

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 8 months ago #21156

Nah bro, my phone's actually plugged into my computer & my wifi's always turned on anyway...so even were that the issue it wouldn't exactly be an issue...

Re: How to synchronize your android device with ComicRack for windows? 5 years 8 months ago #21161

Nevermind, figured out the issue, ended up having to uninstall then reinstall the software
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds

Who's Online

We have 263 guests and 5 members online