Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to install Windows on a Mac to run ComicRack

How to install Windows on a Mac to run ComicRack 5 years 11 months ago #18700

• O.Ren
  • Expert Boarder
  • Ahoy !
  • Thank you received: 32
Here's a tutorial for Mac OS users, explaining how to run Windows on their Mac so they can use ComicRack to read and organize their digital comics.

1. What you will need:

- A Windows installation DVD, or an image of a Windows disk (here I'm using an .iso file)
Caution: You might want to choose an older version of Windows, if you Mac runs with little memory (RAM).
- VirtualBox app (www.virtualbox.org): it's free and here's a direct link to download it
- 20-25 GB of free space on your Mac's hard drive
- A fairly recent version of Mac OS, Virtual Box can run on any "Reasonably powerful x86 hardware. Any recent Intel or AMD processor should do"

2. Install VirtualBox

Download it from the link given above, and install it like you would do any app.
Virtualbox will create a virtual disk on which it will install Windows. This virtual disk is in fact a file, that you will store on your mac. Virtualbox will allow you to use Windows through a simple app window.

3. Set up Virtual Box to host Windows

Click on the "NEW" icon in Virtual Box window if the Installation Wizard doesn't pop-up
Then follow these steps :

a. Pick a name for your virtual machine. We'll go with "Win7".
b. Choose the version of Windows you have a DVD or image of, and want to install.

c. Assign some of your memory (RAM) to your future Windows:

Pick an amount greater than 512MB. However, keep in mind that this amount of memory you are giving Windows will be taken from your Mac's memory. So the more RAM you have on your Mac, the more you can put on Windows. Virtualbox will warn you if you use too much.

Normally, 1GB is enough for ComicRack and a couple of other light things to run on Windows 7 Home.

If you have between 2 to 4GB RAM on your Mac, stick to 1GB, otherwise, both your Windows and Mac will be slowed down.
If you have more than 4GB RAM, then you might allocate a bit more RAM to your Windows virtual machine.
You can do that any time by going in Virtualbox, Settings > System .

More info here to help you decide :
How to view your Mac OS X memory usage and installed RAM
Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

d. Next 2 screens, we'll leave the default setting as is :

e. Next, we pick "Fixed Size" for the storage details:

f. Choose where to store your Windows virtual disk :

By clicking on the little folder icon on the right, you can pick a location where your disk file will be stored on your Mac. You need to store on a drive where you have space. By default, the future Windows drive is set to 20GB.

g. Create the virtual disk :

On the next step, you'll get a summary of your virtual disk setup. If you're happy with it, click on "Create" and Virtualbox will create the virtual disk file on your Mac.

This process can take several minutes to about 20-30min, depending on your Mac.

4. Install Windows on your virtual machine:

Once Virtualbox is done creating your virtual disk, you will see it appear on the sidebar of the app. You can see mine below, called "Win7".

a. Load Windows DVD

Go to the Settings menu by clicking the yellow icon in Virtualbox.

Then go to the "Storage" option.

There, you should have an empty CD/DVD line on the left side, under the IDE Controller Storage Tree. Select it, then go to the right panel and click on the little CD icon.

If you have a Windows DVD, insert it in your DVD reader and select the DVD Reader in the dropdown list.
If you are using a DVD image file, pick the first choice, "Choose a CD/DVD disk file" and select your disk image file through the Finder window that will pop-up.

b. Once this is done, click OK to exit the Settings window.

Go back to the top bar of Virtual Box, and this time, click on the green arrow to launch your Windows virtual machine :

The virtual machine will boot on the DVD or disk image file you assigned on the previous step. I think now all Windows CDs/DVDs are bootable, so it will right away start installing Windows from the DVD or disk image you used.
Just follow Windows installation steps on the screen, it's pretty straight forward and will be installed in a few minutes, depending on the version of Windows you are using. I think for Windows 7 it was pretty fast, not more than 10 min maybe.
It is possible that Virtualbox reboots your virtual machine after installing Windows.

Now you have Windows running on your Mac:

5. Setting up your Windows screen :

Windows screen is displayed in a Virtualbox window, but by default it's a very small window. To be able to resize your windows screen, you have to install Virtualbox Guest Additions.

a. Launch your Windows machine by clicking on the green arrow (if it's not already up and running)

b. Select your Windows screen, go to the Mac's top menu bar, where you have the Mac apple and the VirtualBox VM menu, and pick "Devices". In the drop down menu, choose "Install Guest Additions".

That will pop-up a window in your Windows screen asking you if you want to run VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe.

Choose to run it and it will install itself. Once this is done, you will be able to resize the screen of your Windows machine to your liking.

6. Install ComicRack:

Go to your Windows virtual Machine's screen, download the latest version of ComicRack, and install it by double clicking on the .exe file.

And that's it, you're done !
You are now running ComicRack on your Mac :)

Just as a reminder:

- to boot Windows, launch Virtualbox app, and click on the green arrow on the top menu. This will open your Windows system in a window. Everything you do on Windows, including using ComicRack will be done in that window.

- to shut down Windows, just select "Shut Down" from the Windows Menu (bottom left Windows Icon). This will close the window, but your Virtualbox app will still be running. You can exit it by the usual CMD + Q.

- you can leave ComicRack running in your Windows, even when you don't use it, so you don't have to start/shut down Windows and Virtualbox every time you want to read a comic book.
ComicRackers, ASSEMBLE !
Join us on IRC, don't be shy :) Server:irc.rizon.net Channel:#comicrack
More info here
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by O.Ren.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stonepaw, Helmic

Re: How to install Windows on a Mac to run ComicRack 5 years 11 months ago #18701

• O.Ren
  • Expert Boarder
  • Ahoy !
How to share your Mac folders with Windows :

To be able to access your comics books from ComicRack in Windows, you'll need to share your comics folder from your Mac to your Windows.

It's extremely easy :

In your VirtualBox main window, go to "Settings" (yellow icon below)

You can see on my virtualbox, I already shared 2 folders: my Mac's Desktop and my Comics folder.

To do that on your end, just click on the little folder icon on the right, with the green "+"

That will open a dialog window called "Add Share"

Click on the arrow to reveal the dropdown list for the "Folder Path" field:

Select "Other.." and it will show you a Finder window for you to select the folder you want to share:

Select the folder to share, and click "Choose".

You are now back to the "Add Share" dialog box, here you can check "Auto-Mount" and "Make Permanent".

The first option will display your shared folder in Windows as if it was an additional drive. This makes it easy to browse it with Windows Explorer.
The second option ensures you don't have to do this setup every time you boot Windows.

Once done, click "OK".

Your folder will appear listed in the Shared Folders settings window:

Click "OK" to close this window and go back to VirtualBox.

You might have to reboot Windows for these changes to take effect. You'll then see your shared folder in Windows Explorer :

You can point ComicRack to your shared folders, and open, read and modify files from your shared folders while in ComicRack.B)
ComicRackers, ASSEMBLE !
More info here

Re: How to install Windows on a Mac to run ComicRack 5 years 11 months ago #18702

• O.Ren
  • Expert Boarder
  • Ahoy !
[post space reserved]
ComicRackers, ASSEMBLE !
More info here

Re: How to install Windows on a Mac to run ComicRack 5 years 11 months ago #18704

• Helmic
  • Expert Boarder
  • (Don't be) That guy
  • Thank you received: 82
That is some awesome stuff. Should be included in the next edition of the manual.
Request webcomics on IRC: http://widget.mibbit.com/?server=irc.rizon.net&channel=%23comicrack
server: irc.rizon.net
channel: #comicrack
Or in the webcomics subforum: http://comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/22-web-comics

Re: How to install Windows on a Mac to run ComicRack 5 years 11 months ago #18713

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
This is simply superb! :woohoo:

Great job by O.Ren... +1 karma straightaway!! :-)
O.Ren wrote:
c. Assign some of your memory (RAM) to your future Windows:

Pick an amount greater than 512MB. However, keep in mind that this amount of memory you are giving Windows will be taken from your Mac's memory. So the more RAM you have on your Mac, the more you can put on Windows. Virtualbox will warn you if you use too much.

Normally, 1GB is enough for ComicRack and a couple of other light things to run on Windows 7 Home.

If you have between 2 to 4GB RAM on your Mac, stick to 1GB, otherwise, both your Windows and Mac will be slowed down.
If you have more than 4GB RAM, then you might allocate a bit more RAM to your Windows virtual machine.
@O.Ren: I have a question that has been on my mind since I installed the virtual machine on my Mac. It may be a stupid question, but I have to ask someone and you seem the best.

As you say "keep in mind that this amount of memory you are giving Windows will be taken from your Mac's memory", is this memory used only when we switch on the virtual machine, or like taken away forever whether we use the virtual OS or not? :unsure:

p.s. And, by the way, the new avatar is looking great. much better than the frog prince! :P
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: How to install Windows on a Mac to run ComicRack 5 years 11 months ago #18726

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Great posts! I would just add, keep in mind that, to do this legally, you DO need a valid Windows license key.

Re: How to install Windows on a Mac to run ComicRack 5 years 11 months ago #18727

• O.Ren
  • Expert Boarder
  • Ahoy !
600WPMPO wrote:
This is simply superb! :woohoo:

Great job by O.Ren... +1 karma straightaway!! :-)
Merci ! :)
600WPMPO wrote:
As you say "keep in mind that this amount of memory you are giving Windows will be taken from your Mac's memory", is this memory used only when we switch on the virtual machine, or like taken away forever whether we use the virtual OS or not? :unsure:
It is only used when the virtual Machine is ON. And when it is, that allocated RAM will not be available to your MAC at all.
600WPMPO wrote:
p.s. And, by the way, the new avatar is looking great. much better than the frog prince! :P
Tell me about it, I sort of snapped out of it and went "why the hell do I have a green frog in there?" and then remembered when I signed up, I set up my profile quickly to get on with posting.
Shinrai wrote:
Great posts! I would just add, keep in mind that, to do this legally, you DO need a valid Windows license key.
Absolutely. I am assuming the user owns a Windows DVD, along with its key.
ComicRackers, ASSEMBLE !
More info here
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: How to install Windows on a Mac to run ComicRack 4 years 10 months ago #28596

• Pb
  • Junior Boarder
Great tutorial!!

I followed all the steps and now I'm at the stage where I would want to copy my configuration files from pc to mac and I don't know how to do it. With external hard drive, I copied the files from pc to hard drive, then I can copy to the Mac but not to the virtual box.

Re: How to install Windows on a Mac to run ComicRack 4 years 10 months ago #28599

• Pb
  • Junior Boarder
Ok, I did it by copying the cyo files into the shared folder. Voilà.

Re: How to install Windows on a Mac to run ComicRack 4 years 10 months ago #28600

• Pb
  • Junior Boarder
So I copied the configuration files over to comic rack but no comics will open...

help...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds

Who's Online

We have 258 guests and 3 members online