Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 5 years 5 months ago #22836

• FreddieP786
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
You know me too well. I will come back with some queries tomorrow.

EDIT: Just tested a small batch. Working like a charm. So glad to have my old structures back. Will test a bigger batch tonight.
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by FreddieP786.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 5 years 5 months ago #22847

• djg5125
  • Fresh Boarder
I posted this in the other thread I made, but I'll repost it here since this is the proper place for these types of questions. I'm a big n00b in regards to all this so I'm trying to figure it out slowly but surely. So right now I'm trying to work this all out with all of my X-Men comics (my collection is much bigger than this). Right now I have a folder in F:\Comic Books\O Day where I have all the unsorted X-Men comics. I know my next step is to run the ComicVine scraper on all the files, but a question I have that isn't really answered in the tutorial is do I do this in the Folders tab or after moving all these files to my libary?

Also, should I have some sort of 0 Day smart list while performing all this? Any other tips people can give me I'd appreciate it. Hoping to get this all down to a science so I can finish organizing my collection this week.

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 5 years 5 months ago #22901

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
First, thank you for this, I'm working on making it work for me but I have a series of questions, hopefully you can help a bit.

I guess this is a bit of a repost of a question I had put elsewhere, as well. How do you define Annual, Graphic Novel, TPB, and One-Shot? Here's my assumptions and we'll see if it jives with your setup. Annual would (of course) include the Annuals, but also Holiday Special or Christmas Special, Halloween Special etc as they come out once per year (Annually, yay me!). Graphic Novel is a full story in one book. TPB would be a collection of multiple issues in one book. One-Shot would again obviously include One-Shots, but at what point does a book go from One-Shot to Graphic Novel? Would you cut it off at 50 pages? Would it have to be part of a larger story arc? Usually (so far) I've been looking first at the cover, then at the indica (hope that's right) to see if they say 'issued as a One Shot'. Something like Batman: The Killing Joke, would that be a One-Shot or a Graphic Novel and why?

Also, with your lists, Graphic Novel is misspelled, and it says File Path contains TPB - shouldn't that be Graphic Novel?

Another question about Complete and Ongoing. In your example, you have a Limited Series (Carnage USA), but it's 5 of 5 so it is complete. What about when number 4 of 5 was out? Would it be considered Ongoing while number 5 would require you to move them back to your 0 Day folder, mark complete and then re-run? Perhaps a smart list for all limited that are not complete, grouped by series, so you can see when they are complete and can change en masse.

Main character - what about something like Spider-Man & Wolverine? Running down the list, I would end up with it being Wolverine because that's later then Spider-Man, which would be your preference? X-Men has an additional line to clear if the Main Character line is used, is that so Wolverine and the X-Men (for example) would go under Wolverine instead of X-Men (doing his line first)? I *do* see understand the lists are just examples, but I also would like to understand reasons/techniques/etc from people with more knowledge than I.

[Format] Main Series - this doesn't exclude Annuals, so even if you already made the Format Annual it will still show, resulting in the format changing to Main Series. Just pointing out.

I think that's all I am confused about for now, I'm going to def use this though. Time to start tweaking the lists (for example, adding more to the Crossover list than Fear Itself).
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by schroder08. Reason: Spelling tweak

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 5 years 5 months ago #22902

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
djg5125 wrote:
I posted this in the other thread I made, but I'll repost it here since this is the proper place for these types of questions. I'm a big n00b in regards to all this so I'm trying to figure it out slowly but surely. So right now I'm trying to work this all out with all of my X-Men comics (my collection is much bigger than this). Right now I have a folder in F:\Comic Books\O Day where I have all the unsorted X-Men comics. I know my next step is to run the ComicVine scraper on all the files, but a question I have that isn't really answered in the tutorial is do I do this in the Folders tab or after moving all these files to my libary?

If you want to start small, and do only your X-Men comics, you can do both: you can run it on the folder, or you can add the comics to the library and make a smartlist with "comic directory" contains "folder name", and run the script on it. Personally I feel I have more control first scraping on a folder, and then adding to the library... but that's me, and I am sure many others disagree...

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 5 years 4 months ago #23213

• Trask
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Thanks very much for this 600, great work!

One question, I've just started reading DC with the new 52, and was wondering where comics like I, Vampire, Demon Knights, and Suicide Squad fit in. Do they go in a Series Group? Do you still put DC main characters in? Like Batman? There was no [MC] Batman smart list, so I left off filling in that field.

Sorry, that's more like 3 or 4 questions.

Cheers, and thanks again 600.

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 5 years 4 months ago #23219

• FreddieP786
  • Senior Boarder
Hey there buddy, for Characters that dont have smart lists, they will automatically go into the ongoing series folder or completed series folder depending on how they are marked.

Batman, Batman & Robin, Batgirl and the rest of the Batman family will go under the Gotham series group.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 5 years 4 months ago #23287

• Trask
  • Expert Boarder
Slowly getting the hang of this. How would I include a rule to add in imprint subdirectories? I like my Vertigo books in their own directory etc.

edit: Another question, I've also got a butt-tin of Sandman comics. Neil Gaiman loved his one-shots, specials etc, resulting in me having about 40 different Sandman comics under the Complete Directory. Should I use MC for this?
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Trask. Reason: New Question

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 5 years 4 months ago #23292

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Trask wrote:
Slowly getting the hang of this. How would I include a rule to add in imprint subdirectories? I like my Vertigo books in their own directory etc.
I treat Vertigo (and other imprints) as separate Publishers. So, I don't need the Imprint rule. If you wish to get the Imprints inside their Publisher folders, you can easily add the rule yourself. :)
Trask wrote:
Another question, I've also got a butt-tin of Sandman comics. Neil Gaiman loved his one-shots, specials etc, resulting in me having about 40 different Sandman comics under the Complete Directory. Should I use MC for this?
I suggest you do it manually. That would be easier. Here is a suggested folder structure:

p.s. :) And you can always use Library Organizer to do this. You are correct in using the Main Character field (for Sandman, Death, Lucifer, Destiny etc). One suggestion is this:

Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 5 years 4 months ago #23293

• Trask
  • Expert Boarder
You rock 600, you are a true guru.

Thanks a lot brother.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 5 years 3 months ago #24218

• ackbarr
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 52
does anyone still have a copy of these files, both links posted in the thread are broken now.
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Who's Online

We have 200 guests and 7 members online