Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 4 years 10 months ago #27843

• santiagodraco
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey 600WPMPO, a couple questions and suggestions for the tutorial.

First, I've been working with this since yesterday and your suggestion in my other thread, I think I'm getting there...

A couple of questions (and maybe info to add to the tutorial as "pre-requisites"
1. How do I make everything "work" at the initial level? For example I have your tutorial smart lists imported but they aren't automatically populating. Each one has it's "file path starts with" pointing to my "o:\unsorted" folder (I guess that's my 0-day folder :)). Yet it's not automatically pulling files from there and populating all of the appropriate smart lists. What is expected here?
2. Is there some kind of pre-setup required in ComicRack to have it import files from the o:\unsorted and add them to the library automatically?

I think that the answer to my questions is this, maybe you can verify. I've written this in the form of a small instruction process to help me think through the process myself:

1. Place your new comics in a folder of your chosing that designates they've been unprocessed, such as "d:\unsorted"

2. In ComicRack prep the ComicRack tools as appropriate:
Important! The files from the tutorial download have embedded paths pointing to the path "e:\unsorted". You should edit these files to point to your own "unsorted" folder where you will be pulling your unsorted comics from. If you do this in the files directly it will be easier than doing it inside ComicRack later, especially in the Library Organizer profiles.
a. Install the ComicVine Scraper and the Library Organizer plugins.
b. Import the 600 Tutorial smart lists from the tutorial download file into the CompicRack library by dragging and dropping them onto the library. These are the .cbl files. Once imported move the list items into the appropriate structure as shown in the tutorial screenshots.
c. Import the Tutorial Profiles for Library Organizer from the tutorial download file. These are the .lob files. Import these by starting the Library Organizer (toolbar or by clicking files and selecting "Automation > Library Organizer") and clicking the "Profile Action" item on the bottom left, select "Import" and pointing to the "All Profiles 01-07.lop" file where you extracted your Tutorial Download. This file imports all of the 1-7 profiles in one step. You do not need to import all 7 separately.

3. You now have the tools imported into ComicRack. Be sure to have restarted ComicRack after doing the imports. If you had to change your profile paths (as noted before) be sure to restart again.

4. Add your unsorted comics to the library. This is the first base step to begin working with the files. This adds the files to the library and they should appear in the "Scrape Me" smart list you imported.

5. From the library select the "Scrape Me" smart list and you will see your unsorted, "unscraped" (meaning we have not run the ComicVine Scraper against them yet). To start:
a. Select files you wish to scrape (to add the base info per 600's tutorial) and select the ComicVine Scraper from the Automation item in the popup menu.
b. Run through the steps in the scraper as it processes. If you are unsure about a file instead of mismatching I suggest hitting "Skip". As you work with the tool you will learn more about the matching and you will become more efficient. For now only process the ones you are sure you are matching properly.
c. If needed you can rename files to help the ComicVine scraper run properly.

6. Now that you've scraped the files you'll see new comics in the Smart Lists you imported before. Now you need to add the "Metadata" that 600 references in his tutorial. This makes sure that when you finally run the Library Organizer you will end up with files where you expect them.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 4 years 10 months ago #27845

• santiagodraco
  • Junior Boarder
Edit: Never mind, saw the obvious answer, this is why you add original pub date to the series. Sweet!

Please disregard :)

Using your method 600 how would you handle different series volumes, such as Action Comics? What metadata would you set to cause the Library Organizer to separate the older Action Comics from the new?

Thanks!
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by santiagodraco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jetsman

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 4 years 10 months ago #27846

• Knight Rider
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Don't be Volume? 1938 is one and 2011 is other

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 4 years 10 months ago #27847

• santiagodraco
  • Junior Boarder
Right, that's what I was referring to above.

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 4 years 10 months ago #27901

• santiagodraco
  • Junior Boarder
600, another question for you. I may be missing something, but one thing that seems to be happening is this. If say you run the ComicVine scraper against comics in the ScrapeMe smart list, then you move down to the other smart lists and add your metadata... if an update occurs (not running the Library Organizer) the comics you added metadata to will dissapear from the smart lists.

What do you recommend for these situations? Do you have a smart list (or thoughts on how to create one) that would represent comics that have been modified with required metadata but not yet processed with Library organizer (they'd still be in your unsorted folder whatever it is).

Thanks!

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 4 years 7 months ago #31062

• VALIS666
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey there. Is there any way to make it skip the prefix "The" when renaming and moving?

ie., I don't want "The Amazing Spider-Man" as folder and file names, I want "Amazing Spider-Man"

I can cheat around this by removing "the" manually in every file and then performing an operation, but they'll all come back the first time I rescrape.

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jetsman

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 4 years 7 months ago #31063

• James Spaceman
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
VALIS666 wrote:
Hey there. Is there any way to make it skip the prefix "The" when renaming and moving?

ie., I don't want "The Amazing Spider-Man" as folder and file names, I want "Amazing Spider-Man"

I can cheat around this by removing "the" manually in every file and then performing an operation, but they'll all come back the first time I rescrape.

Thanks.

There is a script that will move "the" to the series end giving you "Amazing Spider-Man, The" instead. It works great, I use it right after I scrape my books. It's located in the scripts page.

comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/13-scripts/9...updated-july-15-2012

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 4 years 7 months ago #31978

• jetsman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm having a problem with Library Organizer not creating the destination folders so all my attempted organizing has failed.Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

If I run it in simulation mode it works perfectly,but when I try to actually move the file it fails and says "failed to create the destination folder".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Organize Comics by Library Organizer v2 4 years 5 months ago #34430

• vitovega
  • Junior Boarder
Probably a stupid question but I couldn't find the answer: In the end of your amazing tutorial @600, where you list Library Organizer profiles backwards 7-1, in which order do the fire? Is the "07 Complete" fired first? I ask because I want a much more simplified version of what you have described here. I want 3 folders inside my Main Comics folder: DC, Marvel and Other. Inside is where I think I need to "prioritize" the profiles: 1) if Main Character is populated I want that to be the next folder, 2)if that's not populated then go to Series Group, and 3)if that's not populated then just Series.

I think I have a pretty good grasp on how to do this, but just curious if anyone could lend any advice on this "prioritization" of the profiles to achieve the desired result. Thanks in advance!
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by vitovega.
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

Who's Online

We have 197 guests and 3 members online