Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 4 months ago #33924

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
And to quote a wise man:
"There's always a bigger fish" :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 4 months ago #33935

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
600WPMPO wrote:
That setup is really awesome.This calls for some positive karma coming your way...:-)

Unfortunately, my desk is too small to hold so many monitors.

I am still curious, as to how do you connect so many monitors with a the same CPU?

Another thing that I want to ask is that what other purposes does that vertical monitor serve, other than reading comics?

And in what other ways can such a multi-monitor setup be utilized?

I am asking these to get motivated, so that I may convince myself to have such a luxurious setup! :-)
Hooking them up is easy - there are lots of video cards that do three or four monitors on their own, and they work fine in multiples, so as long as you have enough slots it's trivial. Don't expect to do 3D acceleration and play games across all of them unless you have extremely beefy hardware, but for 2D stuff they work fine.

I primarily use the portrait mode monitor for comics, but then I read a lot of comics. Portrait mode is really good for reading long documents and webpages - you don't have to scroll nearly as much. Also useful for graphic design sorts of stuff, given that you can see an entire page at a time.

And for what it's worth, as cYo says there is indeed always a bigger fish in the sea...I probably shouldn't share this but this is a customer of mine who does heavy stock trading (and we have people with bigger setups than this, I just happen to have a photo of his).

Obviously most people don't have a desk even NEAR that size, ahahah!
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Shinrai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 4 months ago #33945

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Shinrai wrote:
Hooking them up is easy - there are lots of video cards that do three or four monitors on their own, and they work fine in multiples, so as long as you have enough slots it's trivial.
I have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Graphics Card (again bought on your good suggestion :-)), and it can support upto 4 monitors. So, am I good to go ahead and add a new monitor? :unsure:

Since I have a Dell U2410, I think I should buy another of the same for the portrait display?

Is getting it vertical as easy as rotating it on its in-built stand./swivel, or do you ned something extra?

How do you mange them one atop the other? Keeping one in landscape & another in portrait will give me something like this:

Will I be OK with this? Or is there some better way? :unsure:
Shinrai wrote:
I primarily use the portrait mode monitor for comics, but then I read a lot of comics.
Sorry for a very nooby question, but how does the second monitor display something different than the first monitor? I mean, is it the 'duplicate' mode or the 'extend' mode? How can you have the ComicRack library on one & the reader in the other?
Shinrai wrote:
a customer of mine who does heavy stock trading (and we have people with bigger setups than this, I just happen to have a photo of his..
Maybe your friend needs a break from all work and play some here: :laugh:

p.s. @cYo: Thread hijack complete. :silly:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 4 months ago #33947

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
@Shinrai: If I use the second monitor only for comics, can I go for the much-cheaper Dell U2412M? Will I see any significant difference between the two monitors, kept side by side? Or do you suggest entirely some other monitor for reading comics in portrait mode?

Here is the data, which makes me think they won't be much different, but then your opinion is always the final one for me when it comes to buying hardware. :)

Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 4 months ago #33950

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
Can't answer all your questions, but I can help with a few.
600WPMPO wrote:
I have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Graphics Card (again bought on your good suggestion :-)), and it can support upto 4 monitors. So, am I good to go ahead and add a new monitor? :unsure:
As long as you've got the ports on your graphics card, and enough outlets to plug them in, you are should be good to go.
600WPMPO wrote:
Since I have a Dell U2410, I think I should buy another of the same for the portrait display?
The cheaper one isn't a bad monitor. It's definitely not the same quality as the one you have though. Personally when I get new monitors for a dual setup I make sure they are some quality (preferably identical). I've had a lesser quality one as a secondary display, and I wasn't a fan. Just didn't like being able to tell that there was a difference, but that's a personal preference thing.
600WPMPO wrote:
Sorry for a very nooby question, but how does the second monitor display something different than the first monitor? I mean, is it the 'duplicate' mode or the 'extend' mode? How can you have the ComicRack library on one & the reader in the other?

Windows, nView, and Catalyst can all handle a multiple monitor setup. You can set them to extend or clone (you would want extend). With extend, you can just grab any window and drag it from one display to the other and back and forth. And as far as CR, if you hit F12, it will detach the reader into a separate window, thus allowing you to drag it to the other display.

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 4 months ago #33952

• Kirtai
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Just tried running my monitor in portrait mode and it's awesome. Why did I never try this before? :laugh: :woohoo:

The downside is now I need to get a second one :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shinrai

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 4 months ago #33957

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
Let me just follow up here...
wojosama wrote:
Can't answer all your questions, but I can help with a few.
600WPMPO wrote:
As long as you've got the ports on your graphics card, and enough outlets to plug them in, you are should be good to go.
Note that this is not true of EVERY video card on the market - just because you have 3 or 4 ports doesn't mean they all work simultaneously. It is true for this card, though - you can do all four of those at once with no problems.
wojosama wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:
The cheaper one isn't a bad monitor. It's definitely not the same quality as the one you have though. Personally when I get new monitors for a dual setup I make sure they are some quality (preferably identical). I've had a lesser quality one as a secondary display, and I wasn't a fan. Just didn't like being able to tell that there was a difference, but that's a personal preference thing.

I agree. Having said that, the reduced color space on the U2412M may not be noticeable with comics, and it's certainly WAY cheaper. (I never would have bought 10s for myself if I hadn't gotten three of them for less than the price of one...the 12M is a vastly better value for a monitor that's almost as good.) You will almost certainly notice some sort of difference (even if one isn't noticeably WORSE they will be DIFFERENT) so if that bothers you you might not want to mix them. The 12 also has a silver bezel around the sides which I personally dislike, but that's trivial.
wojosama wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:

Windows, nView, and Catalyst can all handle a multiple monitor setup. You can set them to extend or clone (you would want extend). With extend, you can just grab any window and drag it from one display to the other and back and forth. And as far as CR, if you hit F12, it will detach the reader into a separate window, thus allowing you to drag it to the other display.

I might add that Windows will probably extend it by default - you shouldn't need to do anything except arrange them (a 5 second operation).

In regards to your one other point you made, the stand for the U2410 lets you rotate in place, it's just that simple, and I believe the stand for the U2412M is the same. I have mine on custom mounting (which is how I have them stacked like that) but really that's overkill for most folks, especially if you plan to leave them still.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Shinrai.

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 4 months ago #33958

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
Thank you for clarifying that point about it not being true for every graphics card, I wasn't even thinking when I typed it, and I hate putting out half correct information.

Also, yeah windows should extend it by default. All 600 should (in theory) need to do is plug it in and switch its orientation to portrait.
NOTE: May need to enable the monitor in windows display settings, but I think its rare that you need to do that.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by wojosama.

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 4 months ago #33959

• Kirtai
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Shinrai wrote:
The 12 also has a silver bezel around the sides which I personally dislike, but that's trivial.
Odd, my U2412M has a black bezel. I think it was this one I got if I remember right. And yes, the stand does rotate.

I think my GTX570 can drive two of them.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Kirtai.

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 4 months ago #33960

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
Weird, I've only seen them with black front and silver sides.
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds

Who's Online

We have 190 guests and 4 members online