Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 5 months ago #34056

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Personally, I can't get enough of ridiculous HQ scans! I wish all my books were like this! :laugh:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 5 months ago #34058

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
600WPMPO wrote:
Now, I'm getting a used U2410 on eBay (the same seller from whom I bought my first new one in 2012) at half the price (i.e. price equal to a new U2412M). The seller says the purchase date is August 2012, and the listing says' "Condition of the monitor is - Pretty Good ... no dead/stuck pixels".

As I have always purchased new hardware, I am in two minds. Should I go for it? Or for a new one? :unsure:
The great thing about most tech products is that as long as it's in great condition, buying used is no diff than buying new...at least in my opinion. If you've got great pics of the item showing it being in pretty damn good condition and you trust the seller, I say always go for a used monitor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 5 months ago #34409

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Ok guys.. Today I got my monitor, and I am really loving it, & thinking how I survived without it all these years! :cheer:

Thanks Shinrai for all the motivation..! :-)

here are a few pics of my new setup:

But, there is a little something which I do not like. The monitor has a few 'stuck' pixels (I am not sure if they are what I think they are). On a black/dark background, I always see 3-4 points of altered coloring. :(

Here is a photograph to show you what I mean (the photo is a poor quality, but try to look for the purple & red dots in the center):

Is this serious? Is the monitor dying? Can I do anything to remedy it? :unsure:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 5 months ago #34411

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
About 1½ weeks ago I glued a cutting board to the side of my monitor and now I can rotate it...

It might be ghetto but it was free!
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Madmatx.

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 5 months ago #34415

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
600WPMPO wrote:
Is this serious? Is the monitor dying? Can I do anything to remedy it? :unsure:

I doubt it will get much worse (except maybe in the very long term) but those look like flaws in the panel. If the seller said it was in fine condition, it could potentially be shipping damage, but pressure impact of that magnitude I'd expect to have left a scratch or crack as well.

I think it should continue to work, at least it shouldn't get any worse. Honestly, the seller should have warned you of something that severe, though. (It's a real shame on a panel like that too...I have like three black pixels on one of mine and that drives me bonkers :/)
Madmatx wrote:
About 1½ weeks ago I glued a cutting board to the side of my monitor and now I can rotate it...

Nah, that's pretty freaking awesome (I just hope you never need to unmount it for any reason!)

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 5 months ago #34416

• 600WPMPO
Shinrai wrote:
.... those look like flaws in the panel.
Are these called 'stuck' pixels? All I know is that 'dead' pixels are black, 'lit' pixels are white, & 'stuck' pixels are colored.

I have seen people on the net advising running high-contrast images (there are software that do so) for 1-2 hours on a region having stuck pixels. Does this work? :unsure:
Shinrai wrote:
Honestly, the seller should have warned you of something that severe, though.
Exactly. I've sent him a query, let's see what he says. Technically, under the eBay rules, I can send it back & ask for a refund, but then I do not have the time & energy of repacking & the hassles of couriers & following up for refunds.

:-) Overall, I'm happy with the monitor, as the flawed pixels are not visible as long as I'm not having a black image on the screen. And now that you've assured me that this will not spread & kill the display, I'm much relaxed.

I have great respect for your technical advise, Shinrai. You have really helped me a lot with my dream PC & now with my dual-monitor setup. Thanks, thanks & a little karma boost! :-)
Madmatx wrote:
You, smart you! ;-)

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 5 months ago #34419

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Those are not stuck nor dead pixels, way to big for that. That looks like very concentrated flashlighting possibly but I would send it back. Everyone is always concerned about black level performance on monitors and to have that show up on any dark background would be very frustrating. I'd send it back.

You've already got a "cloud" hanging over the purchase and it will always be there until you get exactly what you want:)
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by riddlemethis.

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 5 months ago #34421

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Yeah, it's hard to tell from the image but I don't think those are stuck pixels, the spots are waaaay too big for that. (The sort of software that is supposed to unstick pixels doesn't work 95% of the time anyway, but especially won't help here...although I guess there's no harm in trying).

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 5 months ago #34425

• 600WPMPO
riddlemethis wrote:
...I'd send it back.
I talked to the seller today, who says this:

" Last time when it was checked it was fine ..... nevertheless I will have it replaced by Dell with a new one, since it's under warranty. let me check with them tomorrow and get back to you."

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)
Shinrai wrote:
Yeah, it's hard to tell from the image but I don't think those are stuck pixels, the spots are waaaay too big for that. (The sort of software that is supposed to unstick pixels doesn't work 95% of the time anyway, but especially won't help here...although I guess there's no harm in trying).
I also thought these to be way big. Won't try out the unsticking software. Will wait for the replacement instead.

Re: How to find ridiculous HQ scans in the Library 4 years 5 months ago #34483

• 600WPMPO
600WPMPO wrote:
riddlemethis wrote:
...I'd send it back.
I talked to the seller today, who says this:

" Last time when it was checked it was fine ..... nevertheless I will have it replaced by Dell with a new one, since it's under warranty. let me check with them tomorrow and get back to you."

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Alright guys, I've got good news and not-so-good news.

The good news is that the Dell guy came today with the replacement. He brought a brand new monitor, but the model was not u2410. Instead, it was a U2413. According to him, this is the successor to the u2410, which is being phased out now. Reluctantly, I replaced the monitors and connected it to my system. I thoroughly checked, and it was flawless. Here are the duos, running the ribbon screensaver:

The not-so-good news is that I find this new model to be much, much better than the u2410, so much so that my older 2410 looks pretty pale next to it. It has good support for the portrait mode, as the on screen menu options also change their orientation with the monitor (on the u2410, they always are in landscape). White colors on this monitor are so smooth, they are like an ice-cream, waiting to be literally licked. I now even think maybe my older monitor were also a 2413. Maybe, when my 2410 goes out, I'll replace it with a 2413.

Now I do not know if really technically it is superior. Here are the comparisons:

@Shinrai: Where do I stand now? :unsure:

The following user(s) said Thank You: perezmu
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds

Who's Online

We have 207 guests and 2 members online