Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: The Organizer (1st edition)

The Organizer (1st edition) 4 years 1 month ago #36713

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Presenting the 1st Edition of the Organizer Handbook!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hz5by43ino4espn/TheOrganizer.zip

Format: PDF

No of pages: 21

Size: 3.45 MB

This handbook will help you organize your comic books inside a well-defined Windows Explorer folder structure. But, all the organization will be done from WITHIN ComicRack. The Resources folder (from the zip archive of this PDF) contains:
  • Smart Lists
  • Data Manager rules
  • Library organizer profiles

Please download the handbook and give it a read. Please point out any errors and I'll try my best to rectify them in the next update. If you dislike anything in the manual (or the whole of it), please feel free to give constructive criticism. In case you like it, do give me some good karma :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perezmu, oraclexview, kenjio, gyrop, luke_70it, romsnesrom, alext41, MilkmanWes, Madmatx, Huisie and this user have 17 others thankyou

Re: The Organizer (1st edition) 4 years 1 month ago #36719

• gyrop
  • Fresh Boarder
Excellent guide and a great revision of your previous work. I used your previous setting and I must say that once the Data Manager rules came in, life became much easier.

Couple of questions, though. In your Data Manager .dat file, I spotted the last group containing entries like:
#@ NAME Anita Blake
#@ Invalid Ruleset Reason: There are no rules or actions defined.=>
I don't know if that's intentional or not, but it doesn't look correct to me.

Second question, if I set up my own rules to supplement these (Red Sonja, Grimm Fairy Tales of the top of my head), would there be a place to add the updates to the resources? If anyone else would be interested, of course?

Thanks for making your organization tool even better.
Gyrop

Re: The Organizer (1st edition) 4 years 1 month ago #36721

• 600WPMPO
gyrop wrote:
if I set up my own rules to supplement these (Red Sonja, Grimm Fairy Tales of the top of my head), would there be a place to add the updates to the resources?
Yes, please do post your suggestions (new rules & profiles are both welcome). I intend to keep this handbook updated. :)
gyrop wrote:
In your Data Manager .dat file, I spotted the last group containing entries like:
#@ NAME Anita Blake
#@ Invalid Ruleset Reason: There are no rules or actions defined.=>
I don't know if that's intentional or not, but it doesn't look correct to me.
That's a mistake by silly me. Will correct in a future update.
gyrop wrote:
Excellent guide and a great revision of your previous work. I used your previous setting and I must say that once the Data Manager rules came in, life became much easier.
Thanks for making your organization tool even better.
Gyrop
Thanks, I really appreciate such kind words. :)

Re: The Organizer (1st edition) 4 years 1 month ago #36725

• baltoc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you,

Great idea and excellent work :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: The Organizer (1st edition) 4 years 1 month ago #36726

• Wolfbanes
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

Thank you, will dig deep into this and learn. I appreciate your fast response and the help you have provided. +1 karma
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: The Organizer (1st edition) 4 years 1 month ago #36729

• Wolfbanes
  • Junior Boarder

When I said talk to me like I'm a 4 year old, you did just that. Love this tutorial and it's easy to follow and understand. I love what you did with it and I like the way you organize, and yes I will admit that I am that guy who tried to organize things first and then add them to the library. Question I have is you put your books in a folder like Gotham City, Metropolis etc what if I wanted all my Different Bat Family to go into a batman Sub Folder do I change series group to main character in the data manager script?

Re: The Organizer (1st edition) 4 years 1 month ago #36731

• 600WPMPO
Wolfbanes wrote:
Question I have is you put your books in a folder like Gotham City, Metropolis etc what if I wanted all my Different Bat Family to go into a batman Sub Folder do I change series group to main character in the data manager script?
There can be so many ways.

But first tell me what folder structure do you want...

If you want something like E:\Comics\DC Comics\Batman, your Series Group should be Batman.

Now what do you want inside this Batman folder?

If you want all bat books inside, without grouping them (i.e. If you don;t want all Batgirl books inside one E:\Comics\DC Comics\Batman\Batgirl folder, just leave the Main Character field empty. The Library Organizer will move these books using the Series group profile.

Re: The Organizer (1st edition) 4 years 1 month ago #36732

• Wolfbanes
  • Junior Boarder
If you want all bat books inside, without grouping them (i.e. If you don;t want all Batgirl books inside one E:\Comics\DC Comics\Batman\Batgirl folder, just leave the Main Character field empty. The Library Organizer will move these books using the Series group profile.

Thanks for the response. Sorry I think I need to take my time and try to explain things more clearer but yes I would like my folders to look like E:\Comics\DC Comics\Batman\Batgirl folder. I think to me that makes a little more sense. I understand the reason behind Gotham, Metropolis, OA etc as this is basically doing the something I just feel that having Batman, Superman, Green Lantern just feels right. So what I gather I need to do is Change the Series group to Batman and keep everything else the same.
{<publisher>}\{<seriesgroup>}\{<maincharacter>}\{<format>}\{<series>}
{<volume>}

E:\Comics\DC Comics\Batman\Batgirl\Main Series\Bat Girl(2011)

Now what do you consider crossovers? Do crossovers that span from different main series books example X-Tinction Agenda that ran threw Uncanny X-Men and its spin-off titles, X-Factor and New Mutants. Do these go into the Crossover folder or do they stay with in their respective series (Main Series).
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Wolfbanes.

Re: The Organizer (1st edition) 4 years 1 month ago #36733

• 600WPMPO
Wolfbanes wrote:
Now what do you consider crossovers? Do crossovers that span from different main series books example X-Tinction Agenda that ran threw Uncanny X-Men and its spin-off titles, X-Factor and New Mutants. Do these go into the Crossover folder or do they stay with in their respective series (Main Series).
Good question, but I answered it 2 years back! ;-)

Here is it:
600WPMPO wrote:
Thales wrote:
My crossover list contains many books (2200+) from Action/Detective/Batman/etc, these are getting pulled into this list because of the empty (wild card?) field under alternate series in the crossover smart list correct? Since all these have alternate series info from cvdb they get pulled into this list?

Well if I then tag these as "crossover" when I go to the individual tag smart lists these books are of course still listed gotham/metropolis/etc and I would then end up re-tagging them right back to the way they were gotham/metropolis for instance.
I knew you would ask this and was waiting for your post! ;)

Let me begin by saying that all this is a matter of personal preference. It all depends on which crossovers you give enough priority to be labelled as having the crossover tag, rather than going into the gotham/metropolis kind of tags.

For me, only big events are given the crossover treatment. For example, Secret invasion, blackest night, civil war, Fear Itself, Flashpoint etc. Smaller crossovers like, say Reign of doomsday/Schism, are not given place in the crossovers folder.

So basically when you see the books in the crossover list, you have to take a moment to see which ones are important to you. A better way for this is to edit the smart list and manually keep on adding rules like "Alternate series is Fear itself". Remove the existing rule that pulls all books with the empty (wild card) field under alternate series. Big crossovers are only 2-3 in a year, and adding new rules won't be required very often.

Once you do this, you would get only those books which have the specified crossover names in the alternate series field. Now comes another problem: What to do with books in continuity overlapping with the crossover books?

There are 2 types of crossovers. One which are self-contained e.g. Flashpoint (if you exclude 2 issues of booster gold). This means that no other book in current continuity is involved in it. You can safely mark all such books with the crossover tag.

The second kind are trouble. These are crossovers which have their own self-contained books, plus they meddle a lot with books which are in their current run as regular series at present. e.g. Blackest night, Fear Itself. So, what to do with these? You have to choose. I like to keep the crossover books in the crossover folder, and the overlapping currently running books into their respective tags. e.g. Fear itself #1 gets the 'crossover' tag, while books like Journey into mystery #625 get the 'Thor/asgard' tag, books like ghost rider v2011 #1 get the 'ghost rider' tag.

I find it more useful to have a "series contains fear itself" kind of a list better than the one using the alternate series field for these. So, for a smart list like this:

Most chances are that you would get the fear itself main books only, as the books in current continuity which overlap with the crossover have their own names, and would not have fear itself as the series name.

Still, if you wish to be quite specific, you can edit the above list to have the rule :Series starts with fear itself'

The remaining books, once you make a reverse list, are evident as the ones in current continuity. We will not use the 'crossover' tag for these.

So, basically the crossover tagging is a bit tricky and you would have to tweak it to suit your needs. Once you make it as you wish, all you would need to do in the future is to keep on adding the crossover names (as DC/Marvel make new ones).

Hope all this makes some sense. If something is not clear, please feel free to ask me..

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wolfbanes

Re: The Organizer (1st edition) 4 years 1 month ago #36734

• Wolfbanes
  • Junior Boarder
My Bad 600, I actually came across this conversation and didn't put 2+2 together. You must get tired of answering the same questions.
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds

Who's Online

We have 182 guests and 7 members online