Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: The Organizer (1st edition)

The Organizer (1st edition) 3 years 4 days ago #40915

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
@rmagere & @sensei6375: Thanks for the ideas, guys. But, I feel that it's too much of a commitment for me to fulfil. The level of interest, according to me, is sporadic & fleeting. But yeah, I'll be happy if anyone does what you people are talking about. It's a very good idea.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 3 years 4 days ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sensei6375

The Organizer (1st edition) 3 years 4 days ago #40916

• sensei6375
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
600WPMPO wrote:
@rmagere & @sensei6375: Thanks for the ideas, guys. But, I feel that it's too much of a commitment for me to fulfil. The level of interest, according to me, is sporadic & fleeting. But yeah, I'll be happy if anyone does what you people are talking about. It's a very good idea.

I understand. Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically I was just tossing ideas around to rmagere/anyone. I would say you have done more than your fair share with The Organizer and everything else. Thanks for which by the way. I think I'll make a new post so the ideas for the repository won't get confused with you or the Organizer.

Here is the new post.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 days ago by sensei6375. Reason: added post link.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 6 months ago #41937

ParalysedBeaver wrote:
Following the guide, when I run the DataManager, it fails to add the DataManager.processed custom field to the books. This also means that they don't show up then in the Library Organizer smart list. Any help?

I have this same issue. What do we need to do to get this to work?

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 6 months ago #41944

• 50u5k3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Paralyzed beaver.

I had the same issue. fwiw this is the method I use to be able to move things to the library organizer smart list. Create a new rule in data manager and add a rule tags contains DMProc. Under actions add Tags remove DMProc, custom DataManager processed setvalue DMProc. I would post my current dmrules as an example but I can't seem to.

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 3 months ago #42502

• johnson_pw
  • Junior Boarder
50u5k3 wrote:
Paralyzed beaver.

I had the same issue. fwiw this is the method I use to be able to move things to the library organizer smart list. Create a new rule in data manager and add a rule tags contains DMProc. Under actions add Tags remove DMProc, custom DataManager processed setvalue DMProc. I would post my current dmrules as an example but I can't seem to.

As someone who can't quite figure it out can someone spell this out for me?

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 1 month ago #42981

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I know volunteering someone to do hard work is one of the easiest things to do, but 60WPMPO, I would love to see a revisiting and update to this project of yours. The PDF is great and still stands up well despite its age, but I'd love to see updated scripts and configurations for them posted.

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 1 month ago #42983

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
I guess the real issue here is those of us that use Data Manager as a regular part of our workflow are constantly tweaking and updating the rules as we go along. Titles are constantly changing and sometimes we rethink the way we want to organise things.

The PDF is more of a worked example than a practical solution for everyone to use.

I certainly copied the use of Main Character / Team as an organising field but my solution quickly diverted away from 600WPMPO's.

I probably tweak my rules two or three times a week. And, I totally change how I categorise things every few months to better match the way I see things at the time. Especially as the publishers also constantly change their lines and how the various titles fit within them.

There is no real substitute to getting in there and tinkering with the rules yourself, and if you get stuck we can always provide a few helpful tips along the way.

---

Also, sometimes it is just as easy to use your own, hand filled custom fields or tags to organise things.

For example my workflow includes a manual adding of tags that decide whether the book will be synced with my IPad. I don't want to totally automate that step because I prefer to virtually trade wait for some titles and then add them to my sync list at irregular intervals. Or, I might arbitrarily not want to read a new title but keep it around just in case I change my mind. A mannual 'paused' tag is just as quick as any rule I could come up with.

For another example, I like to note which books I consider to be part of the same ongoing saga, across the various volumes down the decades. This is so arbitrary it is just as quick to select all of the books and add data manually.

This is partly why I think it is pointless trying to organise books by vague concepts like 'All New', because it isn't a hard and fast rule which book belongs to which concept. Any set of rules will be a personal opinion much like which volumes are cannon and whether a renewed numbering scheme is part of an old volume or the current one.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by jkthemac.

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 1 month ago #42990

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
jkthemac wrote:
I guess the real issue here is those of us that use Data Manager as a regular part of our workflow are constantly tweaking and updating the rules as we go along. Titles are constantly changing and sometimes we rethink the way we want to organise things.

Agreed and the original suggestion of finding a way to create a modular approach hits both the (a) complexity and (b) personal choices preferences.
However I think it still would be useful (maybe as a section on the wiki or a thread in the forum) to share the personal rules created - not so much to be taken without consideration but rather to inspire others.

Had 600WPMPO not posted his rules I would never have thought of it nor using the Main Character / Team. Similarly I like the suggestion of a new custom field "Concept" for New 52, etc.

Attached are the ones I am currently using - foundamentally the same shared by 600WPMPO with the addition of a few Character/Series Groups that I have come across and a few corrections. The "formats" section still leaves me unhappy (one-shot vs graphic novel in particular).
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by rmagere.

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 1 month ago #42993

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I have a rather...analytical personality. I know if left to create my own organizing system it will be a far-reaching affair filled with minutiae and will end up being a far larger project than the comic collection itself...which, as a consequence, will never be gotten to.

I will usually look for an organizational system that is good enough for most uses as if I'm left to create my own I get sucked down a rabbit hole of endless sorting criteria.

rmagere, thank you for posting your rules. You may have single-handedly saved me from being barricaded in my office for days on end trying to invent a better wheel. ;)

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 1 month ago #42997

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Innuendo wrote:
I know volunteering someone to do hard work is one of the easiest things to do, but 60WPMPO, I would love to see a revisiting and update to this project of yours. The PDF is great and still stands up well despite its age, but I'd love to see updated scripts and configurations for them posted.
Good to see some interest in this topic. :-)

After years of organising different things in different ways, I have finally reached a zen state of organising all things in a uniform way. This includes comics, music, ebooks, videos etc in alphabetical folders. For example, I wish to read a comic series that goes by the name of, say, Revival, but, for the heck of it, I don't remember the name of the publisher, the year, the writers. So, I would like to reach out for it just by its name. Having an 'R' folder is the easiest way to access it.

Some examples:

Comics:

Comics (Special folders):

Music:

Chessbooks:

I am in the process of all this. I've got the library organizer profiles & Data Manager rules ready. If there's some interest in this schema of things (and as I get some time), I can post an updated version of the organizer.

Tell me your opinions.... :-)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by 600WPMPO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rmagere
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds

Who's Online

We have 218 guests and 6 members online