Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: The Organizer (1st edition)

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 1 month ago #43002

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
600WPMPO wrote:
I am in the process of all this. I've got the library organizer profiles & Data Manager rules ready. If there's some interest in this schema of things (and as I get some time), I can post an updated version of the organizer.
Tell me your opinions.... :-)

Would definitely love to see your new profiles and rule sets. Probably I will not move from your original set-up Publisher/Group/Character/Format as I am still converting my library to it ;) and I am more likely to remember publisher/series group than title name. Still I am sure there will be a lot to take away and act as food for thought.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 1 month ago #43006

• fieldhouse
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
rmagere wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:
I am in the process of all this. I've got the library organizer profiles & Data Manager rules ready. If there's some interest in this schema of things (and as I get some time), I can post an updated version of the organizer.

Would definitely love to see your new profiles and rule sets. Probably I will not move from your original set-up Publisher/Group/Character/Format as I am still converting my library to it ;) and I am more likely to remember publisher/series group than title name. Still I am sure there will be a lot to take away and act as food for thought.

I have some time and a lot of organizing to do. Let me know if I can help as a guinea pig.

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 1 month ago #43012

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
600WPMPO wrote:

I think this is what I've been looking for. I'd definitely be interested in this. This makes sense to me. When I was a kid I stored all my comics alphabetically by title. I didn't care who published them when it came to storing them. I got wrapped up in the meta-data and forgot how simple things used to be. After all, this is how I store my music today...I don't bother to place them by Publisher/Record Label/Group/Album...why would i do that for my comics as well?

While I've got your ear, 600, I recently had time to actually sit down and start reading the 6th edition of the ComicRack manual and I have been very pleasantly surprised by how well-written and concise it is. I'm the type of person who is very sensitive to typos, spelling, and grammar. You knocked it out of the park. A better job could simply not have been done.

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 1 month ago #43013

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Innuendo wrote:
While I've got your ear, 600, I recently had time to actually sit down and start reading the 6th edition of the ComicRack manual and I have been very pleasantly surprised by how well-written and concise it is. I'm the type of person who is very sensitive to typos, spelling, and grammar. You knocked it out of the park. A better job could simply not have been done.
Many thanks for the kind words of praise. I'm humbled & honoured. :-)

I've started working on the alphabetical organiser post. :-)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 1 month ago #43022

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Organizing strictly alphabetically is an interesting thought, and I would love to see the approach. Personally, I like to organize my comics by publisher largely because they have unification of themes and families of titles. It makes sense for me in a way that really doesn't matter for any other category of item I might collect.

I would also like to echo the positive sentiment to 600WPMPO. I haven't used your guide for a long time, except that it is what defined my current workflow and organizational structure. It really made it easier to get a handle on the software and properly use it. As a testament to your work, I don't really remember using anything from it specifically, but as a whole it made it possible to properly use ComicRack. So - cheers!

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 2 weeks ago #43369

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
600WPMPO wrote:
I've started working on the alphabetical organiser post.
Just as you know, I'm working on it, and almost finished. I'm in the process of fine-tuning the rulesets & stuff, and I think by the end of this month, you'll have the new organizer manual with all the datamanager rulesets & library organiser profiles. :)

I just hope other members still retain some interest in it... :unsure:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by 600WPMPO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rmagere, romsnesrom

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 2 weeks ago #43370

• 2skoops
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
New member here, and I'm very interested to see how you organize things. I'm in the process of scraping in my collection right now, and am still trying to figure out the best way to arrange things. I'm thinking an alphabetical approach like this is probably the most functional, and least prone to error. I think I'll still try to group by Character/Team where it makes sense (like your Daredevil screenshot on the last page), but am debating what to do with titles like Daredevil/Deadpool annual or A+X series. I'm thinking either put everything like that in a "Team-Up" folder, or just leave them alphabetical at the top level. Could also sort them in whatever character/team comes first I guess.

On an unrelated note, are there any guides for updating Windows Explorer to use the fancy icons you use in your screenshot above (and in your previous guides)? Maybe overkill, but I like it :)

Thanks for everything you do for the community here, and looking forward to your new alphabetical guide!

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 2 weeks ago #43383

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
600WPMPO wrote:
I just hope other members still retain some interest in it... :unsure:

I believe a lot of people will be interested in the release of a new edition of The Organizer. You are the de facto standard archivist/librarian of the ComicRack family. Your PDFs make a rather complex program easier to navigate. Even if someone has their own elaborate indexing and filing system in place they'll check v2.0 of The Organizer if for no other reason than just to see if there any tricks they missed that they can incorporate in their system.

I'm sure somewhere there's someone poring over their comic collection and tweaking settings here in there inside ComicRack and scripts while muttering to themselves, "What would 600 do?"

I'm sure of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, johnson_pw

The Organizer (1st edition) 2 years 2 weeks ago #43417

• johnson_pw
  • Junior Boarder
Innuendo wrote:
I believe a lot of people will be interested in the release of a new edition of The Organizer. You are the de facto standard archivist/librarian of the ComicRack family. Your PDFs make a rather complex program easier to navigate. Even if someone has their own elaborate indexing and filing system in place they'll check v2.0 of The Organizer if for no other reason than just to see if there any tricks they missed that they can incorporate in their system.

I'm sure somewhere there's someone poring over their comic collection and tweaking settings here in there inside ComicRack and scripts while muttering to themselves, "What would 600 do?"

I'm sure of it.

I couldn't agree with this more. My collection is fairly organized, yet I'm always looking at making it better, streamlining things so that it makes as much sense to my family as myself. I actually said this, out loud, to myself yesterday when trying to figure out how to incorporate trades into series.

The Organizer (1st edition) 1 year 11 months ago #43988

• 2skoops
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hey 600WPMPO, I was curious if you were still working on your new alphabetical organization? I'm really looking forward to seeing what you came up with!
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds

Who's Online

We have 121 guests and 6 members online