Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: Organizer Tips and Tricks

Organizer Tips and Tricks 3 years 7 months ago #38427

• Nomadtla
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Let me start by saying that without the work of 600WPMPO, kenjio, cYo, cbanack, Stonepaw, perezmu, docdoom and T3KN0Gh057 this post wouldn’t be possible. They put in the effort to make this great program and its scripts so that we could spend more time reading and less time organizing files. I am new to Comicrack, been using it for about 4 months now, and have a basic understanding of Python scripts. So I am by no means an expert and probably can’t help you with script issues or bug fixes. That is not what this thread is about.

This post started out as an Email to a friend who is having some troubles with The Organizer. I just decided others here on the forum might find something useful in it so I joined the forum and decided to share. Most of what’s in here can be figured out from The Organizer PDF or the Data Manager PDF. The rest is just how I found it to work best for me and could really be written off as personal preference.

So why even start the thread at all? I am just hoping to pay it forward and help novices understand a few things I learned from reading the Data Manager manual.PDF and playing with settings. Maybe save someone some time or state something in a way that people will understand easier than what is in the manuals.

The original Organizer thread by 600WPMPO can be found here:
comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/38-tutorials...edition?limitstart=0

Abreviations for ease of use here are some abbreviations that everyone should know and I will use from here on out.
CR = Comicrack, DM = Data Manager, LO = Library Organizer, MC = Main Character/Team, SG = Seriesgroup

Tips and Tricks
1-Make the Organizer your own
With apologies to 600 and respect for all his hard work The Organizer Handbook is just a guide. He even says so. I think it is a good learning experience to try to understand all the steps but don’t scrap the whole thing just because you have trouble with one part of the process. It is a great tool even if you only use part of it. I still have the same workflow (convert to CBZ, scrape, add data, organize library). I just do it in a different manner using 5 of the smart lists in The Organizer workflow. It’s all a matter of how much information you want to include and what lists you want to do it in. With that said learning how to manage the layouts and the “details” view in those smart lists like they are in The Organizer Handbook is a huge time saver.

2-Keep it simple.
I haven’t had any problems with the DM bogging down yet but apparently it can happen. Yes you could make a rule for every series out there but the easier your rule sets the faster it will run. If your rule says “series is Superman” then it will only pick up that exact title. If you say “series contains Superman” then it will pick up everything (Superman Unchained, Superman – Lois Lane, etc). This makes my next tip important.

3-Pay attention to Order of Operations
The DM runs each rule from top to bottom. So if a file fits one rule it will change it but then overwrite those changes if the file meets another rule farther down. This is important for 2 character titles like Superman/Batman. Do you want it in the Superman folder or the Batman one? Whichever you choose should be farther down the order of rules. It is also important for Crossover Event tie-ins (Final Crisis: Superman Beyond 3D). Do you want them in the Event folder or the Character folder? Make these decisions first and save yourself a headache later.
The LO works the same way and uses the last rule that applies. This is important for any SG or MC folders you want to make for titles that are not published by Marvel or DC. So if you make a new SG for “Buffyverse” stuff you need to make sure to add an exclusion rule for “SG is Buffyverse” in the LO “10 Basic” profile. Otherwise it will just sort it based on that last profile.

3-Format can be a bit of work but it's worth it.
In my experience the DM is not great at recognizing format but I think it is worth keeping up with. It really keeps your folders clean by having Main Series, Limited Series, Annual, etc… instead of every series being its own thing. This is most important with the MCs that have a ton of series (Superman, Batman, etc…).

4-Double check EVERYTHING before you run LM.
The whole point of The Organizer is to make changes in CR because it is easier then moving and renaming folders in Windows Explorer. So use the smart lists in CR and set them up in detailed mode like The Organizer PDF suggests. Then you can see where every file will go before you run the LO. This is particularly important for the format column since the DM is not perfect at recognizing these.

5-For large libraries do them a little at a time.
Move a few folders into your “unorganized” (0-Day) folder at a time. This is easiest if you select all the titles that apply to one SG at a time. If you do your whole library at once it is hard to track down anomalies and mistakes. When you set your “unorganized” folder address in all the smart lists change the settings to “File Directory contains” instead of “File Directory is” it allows you to move folders and sub folders into your “unorganized” folder rather than moving all those files individually.

** Ultimately remember that it is not a huge deal where the file is as long as you can access it in Comicrack. So don’t waste too much time agonizing over the details or trying to organize perfectly. If you are happy with the organization you have that is all that matters.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Nomadtla.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perezmu, 600WPMPO, Stonepaw, GlopGlop31, KnobblySavage, docdoom, Kamakaze22, CollectorX

Organizer Tips and Tricks 3 years 7 months ago #38428

• Kamakaze22
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Great post! Thanks for the information. If anything, the last bit about changing the 0-Day list to “File Directory contains” instead of “File Directory is” has changed my entire world.

Side note: I am the emailing friend with organization troubles =)

Organizer Tips and Tricks 3 years 7 months ago #38430

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Thanks for a very good post. :-)

Nomadtla wrote:
The Organizer Handbook is just a guide...I think it is a good learning experience to try to understand all the steps but don’t scrap the whole thing just because you have trouble with one part of the process. It is a great tool even if you only use part of it.
Very true... :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nomadtla

Organizer Tips and Tricks 3 years 3 months ago #39836

Nomadtla wrote:
** Ultimately remember that it is not a huge deal where the file is as long as you can access it in Comicrack. So don’t waste too much time agonizing over the details or trying to organize perfectly. If you are happy with the organization you have that is all that matters.

Yes,it's true..If you can't organize it perfectly but you're happy with that organization..I think that's one is more important..
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by simongrow778.
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Who's Online

We have 160 guests and 7 members online