Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: Sync ComicRack library between 2 or more computers via internet/lan

Sync ComicRack library between 2 or more computers via internet/lan 3 years 5 months ago #39067

• TheOiulkj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Been using this method for a while now and it works pretty great so I thought I'd write up a quick tutorial.

1. From the PC with the DB that you would like to sync, move the "ComicDb.xml" file from Users\username\AppData\Roaming\cYo\ComicRack to a central location. We'll use C:\files\comics\ComicRackDB for this guide.

2. Drop a symlink of the xml file in it's original location. I suggest using this app for quick symlink creation.

3. Now, this is where your results may vary. You need the path to your comic files to be exactly the same on all your PCs. You can accomplish this with the use of either symlinks, junctions in the case of network drives, or by simply placing them in the same path. For example:
3a. Identical path: path to comics on PC1 - C:\files\comics and PC2 - C:\files\comics
3b. Different path: path to comics on PC1 - C:\files\comics and PC2 - D:\somefolder\comics In this case you could make a symlink on PC2 in C:\files which points to D:\somefolder\comics

4. Using BitTorrent Sync, sync the entire C:\files\comics folder of the two computers. I suggest also unchecking "store deleted files in SyncArchive" in Folder Preferences Properties. You could also experiment with other cloud services which have sync apps, I tried it with DropBox and ran into some issues though.

5. If you haven't already, launch and configure ComicRack on PC2, then close it, delete it's ComicDb.xml file, then replace it with a symlink to your synced version in C:\files\comics\ComicRackDB

That's it. Your libraries should now be synced. Settings won't sync though, I find this useful because I use different settings on each computer, but I believe there is a config.xml file that you can sync to accomplish that if you want. Also note that because the DB file does not update while ComicRack is open, you will need to make sure that you close ComicRack after making any changes or reading any comics in order for the changes to be synced across the rest of your computers. So make it a habit of closing down ComicRack when you're not using it. No more leaving it in the tray with this setup.

Extra: If you use, or plan to use custom stack thumbnails, you will need to sync an additional folder using the same method as you did with the ComicDb.xml file. The folder you need to sync is Users/username/AppData/Local/cYo/ComicRack/Cache/CustomThumbnails
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, CamilleBC

Sync ComicRack library between 2 or more computers via internet/lan 2 years 4 months ago #42440

• spidermitch
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Not stealing your thread or anything, just wanted to mention a method I'm using here too, as it may be an option for some people.

Basically, I have a mapped drive (same letter) on each computer. I then added the mapped drive's Comics folder to ComicRack and allowed it to scan it. Afterwords, close CR and allow it to save the Database. Using the following instructions, you'll be moving the Database to Dropbox and pointing ComicRack to use it from there. This allows for Dropbox to sync the database to each computer, so that it's stored locally and also backed up to the cloud. (I've had the DB directly on my NAS before, but I found CR crashed more times than I liked, so this setup allows me to leverage Dropbox's sync client, cloud space, & versioning. I've had it set up like this for a few years.)
  1. Install DropBox.

2. Create a new folder in Dropbox called ComicRackLiveDB or something similar.

3. Move your ComicDB.xml (usually found in Users\username\AppData\Roaming\cYo\ComicRack) to the Dropbox\ComicRackLiveDB folder (probably c:\users\username\Dropbox\ComicRackLiveDB)

4. Open the ComicRack.ini file and remove the semicolon ( ; ) on the DatabasePath= line & type the path of your ComicRackLiveDB folder (DatabasePath = C:\users\username\Dropbox\ComicRackLiveDB)

5. Also, in the ComicRack.ini file, remove the semicolon ( ; ) on the UseLocalSettings line & make sure it has TRUE on it, like this: UseLocalSettings = true

6. Copy the main ComicRack program folder to each computer you're setting up.

7. Repeat step 4-6 on each computer.

It is important to note that after closing ComicRack, Dropbox will save the DB to the cloud, which may take a few minutes, depending on your internet speed, etc...

Also, if your Database ever crashes, Dropbox allows file versioning, which can potentially allow you to restore your database; this is the reason I've gone with Dropbox. Also, there's a LAN sync option in the Dropbox client that allows for syncing changes over LAN very quickly from one PC to the other.
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by spidermitch.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AHBdV, TheOiulkj, CamilleBC
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Who's Online

We have 129 guests and 6 members online