Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: How to sync your library when your computer and device are on different networks

How to sync your library when your computer and device are on different networks 2 years 4 months ago #42447

• Alpharm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I am on Windows 8.1, but this should still apply to Mac and Linux OS.

First, go into your network setting and set up an incoming VPN configuration. If you are on Windows 8.1, go to Network and Sharing Center-->Change Adapter Settings. Goto file-->incoming connection. Then, select or add a user account to log into the VPN-->next, select through the internet-->next, leave boxes checked & highlight IPv4 and click on properties.

Here, you will want to click on Specify IP addresses, and select something within the DHCP range of your Router. Something that won't be used by a different wifi device. Something like, 192.168.1.200. Put that selected address into both the From and To, so that only 1 connections is allowed. Click OK, then Allow Access.

What this does is act like a static IP address when connecting to the home network. You will have to configure your phone or tablet to connect to the VPN, follow a guide for your particular device.

It's best to use some type of DNS server, like DynDNS, NoIP, or something to have a fixed address regardless of the IP coming from your Internet provider, so you'll never have to adjust the configuration again. Setup the VPN by specifying your DNS server (xxx.dyndns.org) or IP address from the Modem. Input your username and password from the account you included during setup.

That should allow a VPN connection. Now, open ComicRack, click on Edit in the Menu, then preferences. Goto the Advanced button on the left, and scroll all the way down. Under Wireless setup, type in the IP address you set up under the IPv4 part of the VPN config. Example, if you used 192.168.1.200, then put it into ComicRack. Click Test, and it should succeed.

I already have my device Paired to ComicRack, so now, when I go into it from my tablet, the sync button appears and I can sync my library from wherever I want.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CraftyClown

How to sync your library when your computer and device are on different networks 5 months 2 weeks ago #47362

Firstly thank you so much for this amazing solution! I'm genuinely surprised no one seems to have discovered or commented on this before.

I've actually found a more elegant way of doing this, at least for my situation anyway and I'd love to share it here.

I have OpenVPN set up on my router and an OpenVPN client on my tablet (which remains connected 24/7) and it is simply a case of adding the IP address that the tablet has been assigned from the subnet OpenVPN is using, into ComicRack under; preferences / advanced / wireless setup (In my case this was 10.8.0.4) and voila, ComicRack on my tablet suddenly starts showing the wireless link, even when I'm out and about.

Amazing! :D

Great tutorial for setting up an OpenVPN server on a DDWRT router:
www.howtogeek.com/64433/how-to-install-a...-your-dd-wrt-router/

and another tutorial for setting up an OpenVPN server on a Windows box:
community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Easy_Windows_Guide
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Who's Online

We have 195 guests and one member online