Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: Viewing and organizing Volumes With a Start and End Year

Viewing and organizing Volumes With a Start and End Year 2 years 1 day ago #43692

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 247
For those instances when two volumes start in the same year it may be difficult to arrange them for easy viewing in Comic Rack.

One soulution is to use a Custom value such as VolumeEnd. Detailed in this PDF is a step by step guide how to achive this and how to use the Library Organizer to sort these into more appropriately named folders.

----

Objective
We want to be able to display the volumes separately when listed in Comic Vine, and for those of us that organise our comic folders by Publisher/Series Volume we want to be able to use the library organizer script to place the volumes in separate folders. This will firstly require a standardised Custom Value for the last year of a volume.

Then we need to be able to organise views and stacks to take advantage of this value.

Lastly we need a library Organizer folder structure to place books in their correct folders.

‘VolumeEnd’ Custom Value

I propose we use ‘VolumeEnd’ as a custom value. This can be added by right clicking on any clashing issue, such as Red Sonja mini #1, selecting Info… and opening the Custom tab:

---

---

---

You can then save this view for later using 'Manage List Layouts'.

Now all you need to decide is whether to fill in the final years for every Red Sonja volume, or whether unspecified is OK for the unambiguous volumes.

See below for using Library Organizer with this new field.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by jkthemac.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perezmu, 600WPMPO, rmagere, romsnesrom, grensman

Viewing and organizing Volumes With a Start and End Year 1 year 11 months ago #43713

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
I'll change the limits to the more reasonable 10MB.
It would be great to put stuff like this into the wiki.

Viewing and organizing Volumes With a Start and End Year 1 year 11 months ago #43722

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Organising into Folders

Another problem with volumes that share the same name comes when using the Library Organizer script. If you organise using volume folders then both volumes may be moved to the same folder. In the worst case scenario an issue may be copied over another, deleting some of the issues.

Luckily we can use custom values in Library Organizer.

If we organised our folders by publisher with sub-folders named after the series and volume, then in Library Organizer this would be
....{<publisher>}\{<series>}{ V<volume0>}
as below.

Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perezmu, 600WPMPO, rmagere, romsnesrom, FPMPlay

Viewing and organizing Volumes With a Start and End Year 1 year 11 months ago #43732

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
I have now managed to squeeze the pictures down and present this tutorial here.

Viewing and organizing Volumes With a Start and End Year 1 year 11 months ago #44065

• solidus0079
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Great idea, I've been wanting something like this since Marvel rebooted some series they just rebooted earlier this year. (Howard the Duck and Squirrel Girl for example)

However, I don't have a "custom" tab in my details window. Is there a step here that's missing?

Viewing and organizing Volumes With a Start and End Year 1 year 11 months ago #44066

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
solidus0079 wrote:
I don't have a "custom" tab in my details window. Is there a step here that's missing?
Read here:

Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dockens, jkthemac, solidus0079
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Who's Online

We have 179 guests and one member online