Welcome, Guest
Section to post tutorials on how to manage and read your eComics

TOPIC: [Tutorial] How to use mIRC to download manga

[Tutorial] How to use mIRC to download manga 7 years 7 months ago #7052

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is a multi-user, multi-channel chatting system. In addition to talking, IRC has also become a popular and convenient way to exchange a wide variety of files.

Here is a tutorial to help inexperienced users download manga via mIRC

I dedicate this tutorial to my friend quidam who taught me a lot of things I never knew about. Here are his words that started this tutorial:
quidam wrote:
As for me, I prefer getting manga via IRC, old-fashoned way. ;)
The biggest resource of XDCC servers out there is #lurk@irc.irchighway.net (gotlurk.net/).
If you've never downloaded anything from IRC I personally recommend mIRC with XDCC Klipper plugin as the most convenient way. Google for tutorials how to set it up.

Here is what you need for this:
    1. The latest version of mIRC. Download and install.

2. The latest version of XDCC Klipper. Download and unzip to C:\Program Files\xdcc klipper

How to setup mIRC & XDCC to download manga

1. Getting started
    (1a) Start mIRC, and click on the 'continue' button (no need to register)
    (1b) An options window will open by itself. If it doesn't open, manually open it from Tools-> Options, or pressing Alt+O. In the left pane click on the Connect category, and fill in the nickname (for this example, I choose "sixzerozeropmpo" as my nickname). In the Full Name & Email Address, write a fake username and email address.

2.Setting up mIRC
    (2a) File--->Options--->Connect options----> Enable reconnect on disconnection
    (2b) File--->Options--->IRC----> Rejoin channels on connect
    (2c) File--->Options--->DCC----> On send request---> Auto get file. If file exists---> resume
    (2d) Trusted----> Uncheck 'Limit auto-get to trusted users'
    (2e) File--->Options--->DCC----> Folders---> DCC ignore---> Disabled. Uncheck the "Turn ignore back on in:"

3. Setting up XDCC Klipper plugin
    (3a) In the edit box type the following command: /load -rs "c:\program files\xdcc klipper\xdccklipper.mrc" and hit the 'Enter' key
    (3b) Click 'yes' in the script warning that pops up

4. Connecting to server
    (4a) In the edit box type the following command: /server irc.irchighway.net and hit the 'enter' key
    (4b) A lot of text lines will scroll, and in the end a message asking to register your nickname will appear. Type /nickserve register <password of your choice> <your real valid e-mail>
    (4c) Open your mail (the mail ID you provided in the last step) to get your passcode
    (4d) Copy and paste the line /msg Nickserv confirm <your passcode>

5. Connecting to channel
    (5a) Click the Hearts icon to open the mIRC favorites
    (5b) Write '#lurk' (without the quotes) in the channel box and click 'Join'

6. Getting Packlists
    (6a) Open your browser and goto the lurk website beta.gotlurk.net/
    (6b) Search for the manga you want. In this example, we search for Naruto.
    (6c) In the search results, look for the volumes/chapters you want to download. In front of each volume/chapter, a you will find a download code something like '/msg Neverwhere xdcc send 5382'. The second word in the code is the person/bot from which you will download the file. The last part of the code is the number for the volume/chapter you desire. In this example, we would like to download the packs from 5382 to 5396. (Please note that these are simply pack numbers designating a pack of a particular volume/chapter, and do not indicate anything else like years or volume numbers etc)

7. Downloading packs using XDCC Klipper
    (7a) Right-click the name of the person/bot you identified in the last step (in this example, it is Neverwhere), goto XDCC Klipper functions---> Get Pack ---> Batch request of packs from bot
    (7b) Write your desired pack numbers (in this example: 5382-5396) and hit Ok.
    (7c) Enjoy the download !

Disclaimer:
Please note that there are a lot of viruses/trojans out there waiting to be download. So, take caution, and download only trustworthy content. Please also note that this tutorial is only for educational purposes, and is in no way related with the ComicRack software. Please do not illegally download/reproduce/distribute copyrighted material. ComicRack does not support, condone, endorse or tolerate any form of copyright infringement.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

[Tutorial] How to use mIRC to download manga 7 years 7 months ago #7057

• Annorax
  • Fresh Boarder
Love it, very detailed and easy to follow.

Thanks.

[Tutorial] How to use mIRC to download manga 7 years 7 months ago #7060

• 600WPMPO
Some people have voiced concerns to me regarding the legality of the tutorial.

I've added a legal disclaimer, and changed the example manga from the copyrighted more restricted 'Berserk' to the freely downloadable 'Naruto'.

If there is still a problem, tell me.. I'll delete the thread.. :-(

[Tutorial] How to use mIRC to download manga 7 years 7 months ago #7061

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Nicely written tutorial. Thumbs up.

That said...Naruto isn't copyrighted? Huhwhat?

[Tutorial] How to use mIRC to download manga 7 years 7 months ago #7064

• 600WPMPO
Shinrai wrote:
Nicely written tutorial. Thumbs up.

That said...Naruto isn't copyrighted? Huhwhat?
I had earlier used Berserk as an example manga. Berserk has been withdrawn from sites like OneManga and Mangafox, while Naruto is all over the place. So, I changed the example manga from the more restricted 'Berserk' to the freely downloadable 'Naruto'.

Thanks for appreciating the tutorial though :-)

p.s. @Shinrai: as regards your accidental double/triple postings, I have deleted them.. maybe you are hitting the submit button manytimes

[Tutorial] How to use mIRC to download manga 7 years 7 months ago #7065

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
No, I'm certainly not hitting the button more than once. And every single one of them has been a triple post, which is pretty odd and makes me think there's something else going on. We've been futzing with the proxy server in the building so that might have something to do with it...

I'm trying this one with the full reply interface rather than quick reply, curious if it makes a difference.

EDIT: No, it doesn't make a difference. Definitely going to quit posting at work for the moment.

[Tutorial] How to use mIRC to download manga 6 years 7 months ago #12907

• Hitchcock
  • Fresh Boarder
~spam removed by moderator~
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.

[Tutorial] How to use mIRC to download manga 6 years 1 month ago #16472

Thats a very good tutorial, Im not great with mIRC and now can use XDCC. Only problem is Lurk is no more. Know of any other good sources for manga on the IRCs?

Re: [Tutorial] How to use mIRC to download manga 4 years 8 months ago #30554

This is useful tutorial, any one can easily download manga with the help of this guides.
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds

Who's Online

We have 314 guests and 4 members online