Welcome, Guest
The bi-weekly ComicRack Reading Club
  • Page:

TOPIC: How the Reading Club works

How the Reading Club works 5 years 2 months ago #25401

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Welcome to the Reading Club!

On every other Sunday the first of every month, a user (whom we shall call, the 'host') from the Reading Club chooses a miniseries or story arc for everybody to read. Everybody in the club has 2 weeks 4 weeks to read the chosen book and gets the chance to post comment about what they're reading, while they are reading it. Everything is open for discussion; art, writing, story, characters, etc. Once done reading the book/story arc / mini-series, you need to give it a rating out of 5 stars.
Here are the rules:
  • Bi-weekly Monthly Cycle
  • One story-arc or mini-series per cycle. A story arc or series is eligible for the reading club only after it has been published at least two weeks earlier. Story arcs from an ongoing series should be avoided. Story arcs from web comics are also eligible. All age ratings are eligible.
  • A running updated post in the reading list section containing the books selected for the club. (courtesy our power member: Oraclexview)
  • A shared library with the necessary books for the week 24/7 (courtesy our power memeber: Shinrai)
  • One of the moderators start the cycle. Then he can choose who goes next, then that person chooses who's next & so on, avoiding duplication so everyone gets a turn.
  • Separate threads for every cycle.
  • The host who suggests the story arc/mini will post a basic synopsis (no spoilers) and the reason why he chose that book.
  • As people read the suggested books, they chip in with their opinion, and maybe ratings.
  • Average ratings compared with the host's ratings & the expert reviewers' ratings (sites like IGN/CBR etc)
Guidelines for making new threads in the Reading Club section:
  • Only the chosen host for the reading club fortnight can make a new thread.
  • The thread title shall be the name of the book chosen for the reading club. It should be prefixed by the year & the month. e.g. [2014-08]
  • Each thread shall contain a poll. e.g. 'Did you like this book/story arc? Yes/No'. The poll will have a life-span of only 2 weeks 4 weeks, after which voting shall close.
  • The thread shall also get locked after the scheduled 2 weeks 4 weeks time.
  • Do look at old threads here to get an idea about the format in which to post a new thread.
  • Please do not make any other threads here, as they shall be considered spam, & deleted at the earliest.
  • If you have any suggestions, please discuss them in this thread only.
  • We have a separate thread for discussing prospective future readings, and prospective future reading club hosts. Please make the relevant posts there.
Guidelines for rating the comics in the Reading Club:
  • 1: Abysmally bad
  • 1.5: Below average, yet not worthlessly poor
  • 2: Below average
  • 2.5: Average
  • 3: Above average
  • 3.5: Above average, yet not worth reading again
  • 4: Rereadable
  • 4.5: Worth reading again, and definitely worth buying
  • 5: Masterpiece
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenjio

Re: How the Reading Club works 5 years 2 months ago #25403

• 600WPMPO
Here is how to use our remote library for reading the books picked up for the reading club:

Re: How the Reading Club works 5 years 2 months ago #25418

• 600WPMPO
If you have any queries regarding the rules, please post them in this thread.

Any general suggestions for improving the reading club can also be discussed here.

Please do not post prospective future readings & hosts here, as we have a separate thread for that.

Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: How the Reading Club works 5 years 1 month ago #26191

• tcm1998
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Is the server offline at the moment or am I the only one who can't see it? Hopefully I'll see it back online soon.
Just madly collecting (dutch) comics

Re: How the Reading Club works 5 years 1 month ago #26196

• 600WPMPO
tcm1998 wrote:
Is the server offline at the moment or am I the only one who can't see it? Hopefully I'll see it back online soon.
Shinrai is on vacation for the weekend I think, will be back soon & with him, the server will too....:)

The following user(s) said Thank You: tcm1998

Re: How the Reading Club works 4 years 11 months ago #27594

• Trask
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Hey all, haven't really been around since I hosted the club. I was at the end of my deployment at that stage. I've since returned home to Australia, been on a 3 week course interstate, returned, packed up my house and loaded all our possessions on to a truck, finished my last days at my last unit, purchased a new 4wd and a camper trailer (not sure if they have those in the states) designed for 4wd camping adventures, been camping with the family and am currently staying with family who fail to have an internet connection (in this day and age! :P) so am using my phone as an AP in order to communicate with my great amigos on this site!

We're still looking for a house, as the house we were set to move into has since disappeared as the person currently residing there has had his posting order revoked, so we're left in limbo and searching desperately for new digs. Phew! What a few months.

Whilst out camping, I was reading issues of Incorruptible/Irredeemable, and started wondering what you crazy folk were up to, so here I am, very stoked to see what the new reading club issues offer. I'll start back where I left off, and catch up shortly, looks like some bloody excellent titles to sink my teeth into!

Cheers all

Re: How the Reading Club works 4 years 4 months ago #35357

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Hi mate,
When is the next new reading club comic?

Re: How the Reading Club works 4 years 4 months ago #35358

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I'm guessing whenever someone steps up to the plate
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: How the Reading Club works 3 years 2 months ago #40338

• 600WPMPO
The Reading Club cycle has been now changed to be a monthly schedule. So, it's one book/mini per month. Please read the new rules in the first post of this thread.

I'll be the host till someone else volunteers. And I'll be the host if no one volunteers. :whistle:

Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: How the Reading Club works 3 years 1 month ago #40630

I'm going to the remote libraries, but I'm not seeing the Reading Club library. What is the current address?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds

Who's Online

We have 298 guests and 7 members online