Yes 10 76.9%
No 3 23.1%
Total number of voters: 13 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: The Last Days of American Crime

The Last Days of American Crime 5 years 2 months ago #25404

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Reading Club for Calendar week 34 (August 26 - September 9, 2012)
Book:The Last Days of American Crime
Host:600WPMPO
Publisher:Radical Publishing
Creators:Rick Remender (story), Greg Tocchini (art)
Genre:Crime
No of Issues:3
Age Rating:Mature
Read by:Calendar week 36 (9th September, 2012)
Host Rating:4/5
Community Rating:4/5
Published:12/2009 - 8/2010
Host Review:...coming soon
Next Host:Shinrai
Synopsis:
In the not-too-distant future as a final response to terrorism and crime, the U.S. government plans in secret to broadcast a signal making it impossible for anyone to knowingly commit unlawful acts. To keep this from the public, the government creates a distraction, installing a new currency system using digital charge cards. Enter: Graham Brick. A career criminal never quite able to hit the big score, Graham intends to steal one of the charging stations, skip the country and live off unlimited funds for the rest of his life. But the media has leaked news of the anti-crime signal one week before it was to go live...and now Graham and his team have just a few days to turn the crime of the century into the last crime in American history.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The topic has been locked.

Re: The Last Days of American Crime 5 years 2 months ago #25422

• 600WPMPO
I'll highly appreciate it if people (if there are any) who are reading this now, or plan to read it this fortnight would post here. Even simple messages, like "I'm reading it" are encouraging.

Opinions & criticism (or praise) of the book is most welcome.

You need not read the entire story arc /mini-series to post here. You can even post your views after even reading, say, the first issue.

So come on guys, you asked for it, and we gave the reading club to you. Don't disappoint us & chip in with your words about the book chosen for the club.

Waiting... :-)

Re: The Last Days of American Crime 5 years 2 months ago #25423

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Well, I figured I'd wait until I finished, but what the heck...

Only read the first issue so far. Remender is, as always, a great writer, and this artwork is pretty good as well (I was totally unfamiliar with Tocchini going into this, I may have to see what else he's done). The actual subject matter of the story isn't that interesting to me, though (and that may be personal preference as much as anything else). The writing is good enough that I'm not turned off, but it hasn't grabbed me - maybe that'll change by issue 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: The Last Days of American Crime 5 years 2 months ago #25425

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Half way through issue 1 here, definitely new ground as far as my reading habits go, not a great fan of the genre, but I find the story appealing enough (so far) and the artwork is very interesting. I'm quite looking forward to reading the rest (though a part of me is kinda glad it's only a 3-issue series, and won't require a huge time commitment).
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: The Last Days of American Crime 5 years 2 months ago #25426

• 600WPMPO
I'm also re-reading it (Now on the second issue).

Apart from the art, another thing not to miss in this book is the dialogue. Very smart words in there.

Sample this:

Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: The Last Days of American Crime 5 years 2 months ago #25428

• ackbarr
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 52
I sat down and read this series last night. Overall I really enjoyed the book. The writing was very engaging and the world Remender built is very vivid and raw. I am a huge fan of crime stories, so the heist premise was right up my alley. As a prerequisite, a heist story must contain flawed characters, backstabbing, double-dealing, and dramatic reveals, which Last Days has in spades. Remender builds tension leading up to the heist well and leaves you guessing who is playing who.

My biggest challenge with the book was with the art design. Don't get me wrong, the imagery is gorgeous with colors that jump off of the page. In the first book especially, I found the images to be layered to the point where I had to look 2-3 times to determine what was happening in the panel. Since the characters were completely new, I found it difficult to recognize returning side characters like Enrique without the dialog's assistance. The layouts were very cinematic in feeling. If the proposed movie ever makes it to release, I'll be watching to see how closely they follow the visuals.

As mentioned before, I really enjoyed the series and will probably read it again to pour over the artwork more.

4.5/5

Re: The Last Days of American Crime 5 years 2 months ago #25429

• RevQuixo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
I'll start reading it tonight.

Re: The Last Days of American Crime 5 years 2 months ago #25435

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by oraclexview.

Re: The Last Days of American Crime 5 years 2 months ago #25440

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
OK, so first I want to say thank you to 600WPMPO for suggesting this series. I'm sure I would have gotten around to checking it out at some point eventually, though it wasn't until this suggested reading that I had even heard of it. After doing some research on the series for my Reading List Index post I realized that this series was very intriguing in a couple ways. The first thing was that it was a Rick Remender book, which with all the hype surrounding him I figured that alone made this series worth checking out. The second thing I found intriguing was that at one point the movie adaption had actor Sam Worthington and director F. Gary Gray, both powerhouses in the film industry, attached to it. I can't say I'm a big fan of Worthington though I did enjoy Avatar and Terminator Salvation, but I am a somewhat huge fan of Gray with his work on great films like Friday, Law Abiding Citizen and The Italian Job (too bad they both seem to have dropped out of doing this film). These guys once being attached to this comic series had me thinking that this must really be a potentially great action crime thriller.

So I've read the first book. This was a pretty solid read. Remender's writing flows well and kept me intrigued just enough so that by the end I was thinking about what might happen in the next issue. Also, I don't know if Remender just has a better grasp of pace than most writers today, or if this book just greatly benefits from being a 64-pager, yet what ever the reason may be, this book felt like a complete story that didn't leave anything out and ended on a nicely subdued cliffhanger panel. Tocchini's work on this book is amazing...the guy does the pencils, inks and colors (no small feat in this industry) and even though it does get sloppy at times those moments work for this book since it gives an added sense of grittiness to the book. Overall, Tocchini's work here is simply beautiful and was so great to look at that I was through the 64 pages much faster than most 22 page books.

Last Days of American Crime Vol.2009 #1 (of 3) (December, 2009)
I give this book 4.4 of 5 stars.
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: The Last Days of American Crime 5 years 2 months ago #25441

• 600WPMPO
oraclexview wrote:
...The second thing I found intriguing was that was that at one point the movie adaption had actor Sam Worthington and director F. Gary Gray, both powerhouses in the film industry. I can't say I'm a big fan of Worthington though I did enjoy Avatar and Terminator Salvation, but I am a somewhat huge fan of Gray with his work on great films like Friday, Law Abiding Citizen and The Italian Job (too bad they both seem to have dropped out of doing this film). These guys once being attached to this comic series had me thinking that this must really be a potentially great action crime thriller.
The movie may be there after all! :)

Time to create page: 0.313 seconds

Who's Online

We have 217 guests and 4 members online