Welcome, Guest
The bi-weekly ComicRack Reading Club

Poll: Did you like this week\\\'s reading club?

Yes 8 72.7%
No No votes 0%
I am yet to read this 3 27.3%
The reading club sucks! Just end it! No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 11 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Killer

The Killer 5 years 1 day ago #26630

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Ok..since the last reading club was...well, lackluster, and this week there are no volunteers (nor did the the last week's host care to pick the next host, thank you), here I am with this week's reading club.

This is one of my favorites, a book that I have in my paper library. So, read it guys and tell me what you think about it!

p.s. apologies for poor quality photos..was in a hurry...and the iPhone's camera is not that good too :P

Reading Club for Calendar week 42 (October 21 - November 3, 2012)
Book:The Killer Vol.1
Host:600WPMPO
Publisher:Archaia Studios Press
Creators:Matz(story), Luc Jacamon (art)
Genre:Assassin Thriller Drama
No of Issues:4
Age Rating:Mature
ISBN:1-932386-44-0
Read by:Calendar week 44 (4th November, 2012)
Host Rating:5/5
Community Rating:?/5
Published:2007
Host Review:...coming soon
Next Host:Forkicks
Synopsis:
The Killer (Le Tueur) is a French comic book by writer Matz and artist Luc Jacamon which follows the life of an unnamed assassin. The series was published in six albums by Casterman. It was translated into English and published by Archaia Studios Press, who turned each album into two comic books. The Volume One collected edition won "Best Indy Book" in IGN's Best of 2007. The edition also won "Best Comic You Didn’t Read This Year" from Newsarama and was nominated for "Best U.S. Edition of International Material" in the 2008 Eisner Awards.The series is being made into a film by Paramount Pictures which will be directed by David Fincher.
A bestseller in Europe, Le Tueur has finally reached America. A French hit man has long been at the top of his game, but the psychic weight of his crimes is slowly catching up with him, and, after he botches one job and attracts a policeman determined to bring him down, he may be breaking down just when he needs his skills the most. The French have long been masters of moody noir films like Band of Outsiders or Le Samourai, so The Killer carries some heavy expectations. Fortunately, Jacamon's art is more than up to the task. His layouts are exciting, equally adept at choreographing brutal action, placing the camera for maximum suspense, and playing with panel borders to convey the protagonist's gradual mental breakdown. His figures are reminiscent of Darwyn Cooke's (The Spirit) cartoony realism, using deceptively simple lines and expressive faces to suggest far greater depth to the characters. Saturating panels with washed-out greens, blues and yellows, he changes palettes to establish shifts in location or flashbacks. The story is slight and a little disjointed, relying too heavily on self-consciously cool narration and abrupt flashbacks to pad out a by-the-numbers plot. Fans of Goddard or Melville should enjoy how well Jacamon captures their aesthetic on the page.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 5 years 16 hours ago by 600WPMPO.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ackbarr

Re: The Killer 5 years 1 day ago #26638

• 600WPMPO
Deafening silence.

If you people are not interested, just choose the last option in the poll...

Re: The Killer 5 years 1 day ago #26640

• ackbarr
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 52
I for one enjoy the book club concept and would like to see it continue. Once I get a chance to read this selection I'll make sure to come back and write up my thoughts
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: The Killer 5 years 23 hours ago #26641

• tcm1998
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Sorry, have been a bit busy lately, but I do love the bookclub concept. Every 2 weeks I'm looking forward to the choices that are made. Some have been a bit disappointing (not everyone's taste is the same), some have been fantastic and some I would probably never have read if it wasn't suggested. My library is now over 36000 books and it would take more than a lifetime to read them all.

I would like to be able to suggest something myself, but I already explained about the language problems (being 90% of my library is in dutch). As a possible solution ... could some of the big collectors send me their xml's? That way I could see if my dutch selections are also available in english somewhere. Hopefully I could really contribute to the club then. Note, JUST the xml, which shouldn't be too big when zipped.

As for this particular choice ...

Looking forward to reading it (probably in the weekend). I haven't checked the club library yet, but it looks like I can read this one in dutch (about 80-90% of the casterman comics are also released in dutch). Now I just have to see if it's really the same book series (atleast the writer matches according to "zilveren dolfijn", which is what comes closest to comic vine.

Btw, just out of curiosity, why add an option "haven't read it YET" ? once you vote, you can't vote again, can you? Unless you're a moderator maybe. So if I vote THAT, I can't vote if I liked or disliked the suggestion later. Just my 2 cents.
Just madly collecting (dutch) comics

Re: The Killer 5 years 16 hours ago #26648

• 600WPMPO
tcm1998 wrote:

Looking forward to reading it (probably in the weekend). I haven't checked the club library yet, but it looks like I can read this one in dutch (about 80-90% of the casterman comics are also released in dutch). Now I just have to see if it's really the same book series (atleast the writer matches according to "zilveren dolfijn", which is what comes closest to comic vine.

Btw, just out of curiosity, why add an option "haven't read it YET" ? once you vote, you can't vote again, can you? Unless you're a moderator maybe. So if I vote THAT, I can't vote if I liked or disliked the suggestion later. Just my 2 cents.
I've added the ISBN number in the first post description (It is ISBN 1-932386-44-0) to facilitate exact pinpointing of the book, and would suggest the use of the ISBN codes in later reading clubs too to avoid any confusion.
tcm1998 wrote:
Hmm..I always see the 'change your vote' option. Never thought that it was a moderator 'privilege' ;)

If you cannot see this option, I think from next time I'll change this to 'I didn't read this'.

Re: The Killer 5 years 14 hours ago #26649

• tcm1998
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
600WPMPO wrote:
Hmm..I always see the 'change your vote' option. Never thought that it was a moderator 'privilege' ;)

If you cannot see this option, I think from next time I'll change this to 'I didn't read this'.

My bad for replying without checking. I just ASSUMED you can only vote once. Have put a temp-vote in now. Thanks for tip.
Just madly collecting (dutch) comics

Re: The Killer 5 years 39 minutes ago #26659

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I am still interested in these as well, I've just been CRAZY busy lately. (I haven't had a chance to read the last two selections completely yet :/)

Re: The Killer 5 years 2 minutes ago #26661

• 600WPMPO
Shinrai wrote:
I am still interested in these as well, I've just been CRAZY busy lately. (I haven't had a chance to read the last two selections completely yet :/)
..and the reading club library also appears to be offline.. :(

Re: The Killer 4 years 11 months ago #26672

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
If the reading club library gets back on line, I'm really looking forward to this one. Sounds really interesting.

Re: The Killer 4 years 11 months ago #26680

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Sorry about the library, I've been having system trouble that I haven't had time to sit down and sort out. Working on it... ;)

EDIT: Should be up.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Shinrai.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Who's Online

We have 188 guests and 4 members online