Welcome, Guest
The bi-weekly ComicRack Reading Club

Poll: Did you like this week\'s reading club?

Yes 6 75%
No No votes 0%
I am yet to read this 2 25%
Duh...What is a 'reading club'? No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 8 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Page:

TOPIC: Clive Barker's Night Breed

Clive Barker's Night Breed 4 years 11 months ago #26849

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
So, 600 sent me a cryptic email (kinda like the "you just won 6000000 pounds" spam) congratulating me for being the designated host for this week's reading club. I have to admit i haven't been following it so far, but i kinda got pulled into.

I scratched my head a bit looking for something worthwhile, being a Marvelite and all that, and i ended up not going mainstream.

My suggestion for this biweekly reading list is Clive Barker's Night Breed. It's from Epic Comics (a marvel imprint), from 1990. I chose it because i read it at an impressionable age of 13, and it was my first "scary" comic with more mature thematic, which was WAY ahead of my at-the-time spider-man, x-men, avengers pull list (which, incidentally, still is my pull list). The art is/was, imho, pretty awesome, specially the coloring at a time where most comics were still using some "dithering" (for lack of a better word).

This was an ongoing-series, not a limited, but the first four issues were published as a mini in portuguese, and those are the ones i'm recommending (issues 1-4).

Those were very impressionable on young me, and i'll take this chance to go through them again. Probably won't be that impressive these days, but still, hope you take the time to read them. Epic was a pretty solid label for marvel.

Here's the Comicvine link for the series (issues 1-4 are my recommendation, the rest is bonus):
Clive Barker's Night Breed, at comicvine.

Have fun,
fK
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: Added poll
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, kenjio

Re: Clive Barker's Night Breed 4 years 11 months ago #26862

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
forkicks wrote:
So, 600 sent me a cryptic email (kinda like the "you just won 6000000 pounds" spam) congratulating me for being the designated host for this week's reading club. I have to admit i haven't been following it so far, but i kinda got pulled into.
I'm glad you answered the 'cryptic' mesage & kept the club alive for 2 more weeks. :)

I'll surely read your chosen book & will chime in with my opinion soon.

Remember to choose a suitable member for the next fortnight's club & send him a message as well as announce here on the forum (like I announced your name!).

p.s. I've added the poll.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Clive Barker's Night Breed 4 years 11 months ago #26872

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Well, I've been away for some time, and I was going to try and jump back onto the bandwagon this time around. Then I realized that, since I upgraded my PC to Win 8, CR doesn't see my tablet... anyhow, don't want to go OT. I appreciate the choice, I've been an on-again, off-again fan of Barker's work throughout the years, but never actually explored his work in comic form, so this should be an interesting read.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Clive Barker's Night Breed 4 years 11 months ago #26881

• tcm1998
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Not sure what to think of this week's choice, but looking forward to reading it as soon as it appears in the reading club library.
Just madly collecting (dutch) comics

Re: Clive Barker's Night Breed 4 years 11 months ago #26884

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
tcm1998 wrote:
Not sure what to think of this week's choice, but looking forward to reading it as soon as it appears in the reading club library.

I only saw your post on the other thread about horror comics after i posted this. It wasn't on purpose.

fK

Re: Clive Barker's Night Breed 4 years 11 months ago #26896

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
tcm1998 wrote:

Should be up now.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Shinrai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, tcm1998

Re: Clive Barker's Night Breed 4 years 11 months ago #26916

• Ludwig
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Hmmm I get a password request?
Snoopy, Qwerty, my pincode, Obama, Cyo, Mom, beer, Honorificabilitudinitatibus..
I give up for now.

Let's try later..

Re: Clive Barker's Night Breed 4 years 11 months ago #26923

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Ludwig wrote:
Hmmm I get a password request?
Snoopy, Qwerty, my pincode, Obama, Cyo, Mom, beer, Honorificabilitudinitatibus..
I give up for now.

Let's try later..

There's no password (I just doublechecked as well). Anybody else having trouble? I did just move to a new install so it's possible something is screwy but my ComicRack settings were copied over wholesale and it all looks right to me...
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Shinrai.

Re: Clive Barker's Night Breed 4 years 11 months ago #26924

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
Just tried it, working fine here.

fK

Re: Clive Barker's Night Breed 4 years 11 months ago #26959

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I finished reading this just now & here are my views about this week's book: :)

*SPOILER ALERT*

Firstly, if not for the reading club, I would have never read this book, simply because I didn't know that it existed in the first place. So, all credit to Forkicks & the reading club for making me read this.

While starting the book, I thought it to be a detective story featuring a serial killer, but gradually I realised that it had a significant horror/supernatural quotient too. I was really shocked when the hero died at the end of the second book. Heaved a sigh of relief when he became a ghost in the next issue. :laugh:

While reading a comic, at times I find myself visualizing the scene at hand. With this book, I see a 80's B-grade slasher movie with some gory monsters and aged special effects. I also learnt that there is, indeed, a movie for this book. Don't know if it is better/worse.

While the writing is largely perfect, there are some dialogues & panels that are so cliche that I found myself yelling "Aww... Come on, man!". The love-making scene in the third issue, for example , was totally out of place/time. :whistle:

At a few places, I found a hint of the issue of racism being explored via the 'nightbreeds'.

The art was nice to look at & understand, specially the supernatural scenes. The facial expressions were spot-on. Some panels were really creepy.

All-in-all, a good read. Typical slasher genre, albeit elevated to horror by imaginative use of supernatural elements, and some excellent writing.

I give it a generous 3.5 out of 5 and a thumbs up. Worth reading. May re-read a few years later too! :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by 600WPMPO.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Who's Online

We have 188 guests and 7 members online