Welcome, Guest
The bi-weekly ComicRack Reading Club

Poll: How do you rate the choice of book for this fortnight\'s reading club?

Great, I love the classics! 11 78.6%
I won't pick this on my own, but it looks good. 3 21.4%
This is too naive for me No votes 0%
Leave me alone grandaddy, that's too old! No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 14 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Daredevil Born Again

Daredevil Born Again 4 years 11 months ago #28064

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Happy New Year!!!!!

Our beloved hosts have been so kind to request my participation and choose these weeks reading. It has been difficult for me to decide on only one piece I thought would be worth. I have pondered many different options: new stuff I've been recommended but have not had the chance to read just yet (like Scalped or American Vampire); classics I think are really worth revisiting, more in the line of other things in the club already (terror/adult) like Moore's first Swamp Thing, or the original Gaiman and McKean's Black Orchid miniseries; not so mainstream stuff like Frank Miller's Ronin; French masterpieces like Blueberry or Valerian; apparently simple series like Paul Smith's Leave it to Chance or the best Thor book in years, Thor the Mighty Avenger... so many choices. I ended up with two final choices: Ronin, and Frank Miller's and Mazzuchelli's "Daredevil Born Again"

Story Arc: Daredevil, "Born Again", the storyline first appeared in Daredevil #227-#233 (February-August 1986). Epilog, "American Dreamer", Daredevil #236

Written by Frank Miller, and drawn by David Mazzucchelli. Epilog writen by Ann Nocenti with art by Barry Windsor-Smith

Synopsis: The story details Daredevil's descent into insanity and destitution at the hands of the Kingpin, as well as his subsequent struggle to build a new life for himself.

Who: Written by Frank Miller in 1986. Miller had defined Daredevil in his first run in the series a few years back, and then left Marvel to create the masterpiece, "Ronin" for DC Comics in 1983. Circa 1986 Miller's tour-de-force led him to produce his best works (along with the often understimated Ronin): "Batman: The Dark Night Returns", "Elektra: Assassin" (painted by Bill Sienkiewicz), "Batman:Year One" and "Daredevil Born Again", the two latest penned by a growing young artist, David Mazzucchelli who had began to show his work in Daredevil after Miller left the series. Miller is at the peak of his writing (everything he has done ever since in my opinion really falls behind regarding words). And Mazzucchelli evolves as an artist in an amazing way month by month... Miller's influence in his storytelling is obvious, but his art evolves, simplified and improved each issue... ultimately his evolution would lead him to create a masterpiece of his own (Big Man) and leave the mainstream.

Why/What's Great/What's not so Great:This story is, hands down, a favourite of mine: it stars my all-time favourite character, Daredevil. Miller recovers many topics he left open in his first run (Matt Murdock's obsessions, sin, catholicism, guilt), and twistes them into a great story, that was supposed to lead to the end of the Daredevil series. It is a classic fall/reconstruction story, in a style that reminds what current writers like Brubaker or the early Bendis do, kind of 70's movie film noir, in the style of Pakula. Please, do not miss Ben Urich's evolution, parallel/opposite to that of the main character. What I honestly did not like so much is the outcome... maybe too many expectations built up during the opening issues, and the outcome, bringing in Captain America feels a little out of place.

Epilog: In the end this run was so successful that Marvel decided not to close the series. Ann Nocenti got the writing and Romita Jr. the art, in a memorable run. But before that Nocenti wrote a single issue, "American Dreamer", amazingly drawn Barry Windsor-Smith, in #236, which is a beautiful epilog to Born Again.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: Added poll
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, oraclexview, Trask

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 11 months ago #28065

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
I'd love to add a poll, but I do not know how to do that... I'd actually like to add two: one about the book for those who read it (like/not like) and another about the proposal (like: great, I love the classics / too naive for me / leave me alone grandaddy, that's too old).

Cheers!

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 11 months ago #28066

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
I read this when it came out, and i'll pick it up again. It's one of my favourite arcs for Daredevil, with a full fall and rise of the character, desperate for redemption.

Nice pick.

fK

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 11 months ago #28069

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I'm not usually a Daredevil fan, but what the hell, this is the whole point of having a Reading Club, right? (not the most promising post, I know :D )
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by kenjio.

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 11 months ago #28076

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
That's a great choice, perezmu! I have heard so much about this story arc but could never manage to read it (lack of motivation). But now, thanks to you, I'll finally read it! And, oh, daredevil is one of my favorites! :-)

A friendly +1 karma follows...

@perezmu: I had a chat with oraclexview & he is ready to be the host for the next reading club. So, if you don't have someone else in mind, shall we finalize his name?

p.s. I've added the poll.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 11 months ago #28077

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys!

600, thanks for the poll. Oraclexview sounds just great!

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 11 months ago #28078

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Oh wow, what a great choice! I have this on paper and it's fantastic. Sometimes it's just hard to beat a classic.

Typical Miller, somebody gets physically and emotionally punished, there is Miller's token prostitute and the art is really light compared to such a dark story.

For some of the younger posters, this is an ageless arc and I really recommend it.

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 11 months ago #28084

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
I'm on board for this and glad you went with your gut instead trying to make a highbrow choice.
I was in 6th grade and working at a comic shop on weekends when this came out, I think... never read it but remember the covers because I think it came on the heals of the Sin Eater (death of Jean DeWolf) story line.

**edit** Am I the only one that reads forkicks' messages with Stan Lee's voice in my head? Darn that avatar. (btw Stan has one of the greatest narrating voices of all time. I read old issues with his soapbox just the hear it, lol.)
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Madmatx.

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 11 months ago #28090

• Trask
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
This will actually be my first DD title, so can't wait to jump in, thanks a lot for jumping in with the reading club and helping us out!

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 11 months ago #28092

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Madmatx wrote:
Am I the only one that reads forkicks' messages with Stan Lee's voice in my head? Darn that avatar.
Yup..damn it a nudge more! :laugh:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds

Who's Online

We have 239 guests and 3 members online