Welcome, Guest
The bi-weekly ComicRack Reading Club

Poll: How do you rate the choice of book for this fortnight\'s reading club?

Great, I love the classics! 11 78.6%
I won't pick this on my own, but it looks good. 3 21.4%
This is too naive for me No votes 0%
Leave me alone grandaddy, that's too old! No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 14 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Daredevil Born Again

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 9 months ago #28183

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Hehh!...Just look what came in the mail today! :cheer:

Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 9 months ago #28188

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Nice:) I have those separate issues bagged in box somewhere.

Such a good story about every masked/disguised superhero's worst fear coming true....and how in this instance, Matt Murdock chooses to cope with it.

The thing about this arc is how well such a dark story works with vibrant art. A lot of the panel backgrounds are white and the colors are contrasting. I remember lots of blue, red and white in these issues which make for a stark, bright color scheme. It's almost like the story represent the darkness, depth that Daredevil falls to and the art/colors represent the positive changes that will happen as a result of the trials/difficulties.

I wonder how this story would feel if the colors/panel backgrounds were darker along with the story.

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 9 months ago #28189

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
riddlemethis wrote:
I wonder how this story would feel if the colors/panel backgrounds were darker along with the story.

It would probably read like The Dark Knight.

Good analysis.
fK

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 9 months ago #28192

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
forkicks wrote:
riddlemethis wrote:

It would probably read like The Dark Knight.

Good analysis.
fK

Thanks for the compliment and yep, would probably be like The Dark Knight. Here is what Mazzucchelli had to say about the trade edition of Year One...ouch:

"Several years ago, DC asked me if I'd help put together a deluxe edition of Batman: Year One, and Dale Crain and I worked for MONTHS to try to make a definitive version. Now whoever's in charge has thrown all that work in the garbage.

First, they redesigned the cover, and recolored my artwork - probably to look more like their little DVD that came out last year; second, they printed the book on shiny paper, which was never a part of the original design, all the way back to the first hardcover in 1988; third - and worst - they printed the color from corrupted, out-of-focus digital files, completely obscuring all of Richmond's hand-painted work. Anybody who's already paid for this should send it back to DC and demand a refund".

Not sure about you, but when a publisher throws aside the work of an original creator then something must be wrong with that publisher.

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 9 months ago #28193

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
The art in the original comics wasn't nearly as bright or vibrant, though. I was just comparing my paper issue 229 to what the trade looks like and there's a huge difference.

Of course the original comics were printed on newsprint so I guess it wasn't possible to have the high quality inks that the artist may have intended.

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 9 months ago #28194

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
Madmatx wrote:
The art in the original comics wasn't nearly as bright or vibrant, though. I was just comparing my paper issue 229 to what the trade looks like and there's a huge difference.

Of course the original comics were printed on newsprint so I guess it wasn't possible to have the high quality inks that the artist may have intended.

I think the newsprint, non-glare paper makes a world of difference. It's so much easier on my eyes than trades, not to mention a tablet screen glare. I was looking through the X-Men Mutant Massacre paper issues (not trade) last night and when compared to the Marvel X-Men DVD I have, the paper is so much better for reading.

I'll have to crack open my #229 to see how much it's yellowed compared to that trade photo. Your probably correct that the contrast is amped up in the trade vs newsprint.

I definitely prefer the smell of old newsprint comics compare to the current paper, lol.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by riddlemethis. Reason: a
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 9 months ago #28195

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Three points:

1) 600, did you order before or after reading? I hope the purchase was worth it!

2) I hate comics printed on shiny paper when they had colors for original pulp comic books. They look lame, colors are oversaturated and lines are lost.

3) I bought the Black and White IGN Artist's Edition of Born Again. It is simply awesome! However, I like the original colors too. Regarding Year One, I purchased the recolored original Trade Paperback when it first came out and it was awesome... albeit so different from the original run in the comic-books.

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 9 months ago #28196

• tcm1998
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I just came back from a holiday, which is why I didn't get round to reading the last few rounds, but it seems both "that hellbound train" as this one haven't been added to the reading club library. Without the means to read the books, I'm afraid the reading club is over for me. As said, I nearly only have dutch comics, so I can only read from the online library (unless I happen to find the right books on the internet somewhere). In these cases, I haven't been able to find them :(

Hopefully it's a temperary thing, because Shinrai has been too busy to update. Atleast the library is still online, so that's a good sign.
Just madly collecting (dutch) comics

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 9 months ago #28202

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Actually, it's because you're the first person who asked - that is to say, nobody else seems to be using it, so I haven't bothered. :) I can throw them up there later today (I think I have all these issues already)
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Shinrai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tcm1998

Re: Daredevil Born Again 4 years 9 months ago #28204

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
perezmu wrote:
600, did you order before or after reading? I hope the purchase was worth it!
No perezmu, I haven't yet got a chance to read it.. plan to read on Sunday evening! :)
perezmu wrote:
I hate comics printed on shiny paper when they had colors for original pulp comic books. They look lame, colors are oversaturated and lines are lost.
And, looking at the trade I just bought, I can confirm that the paper is indeed shiny. :(
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by 600WPMPO.
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds

Who's Online

We have 165 guests and 6 members online