Welcome, Guest
The bi-weekly ComicRack Reading Club

Poll: What are your thoughs on this story arc?

I loved it! 1 25%
It was good. 1 25%
OK, but not my cup of tea. 2 50%
It was pure crap (no more hosting for you)! No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 4
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Harbinger: The Beginning

Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 11 months ago #28754

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Reading Club for Calendar days (January 14, 2013 - January 27, 2013)

Attachment Harbinger The Beginning-Logo.png not found

Book:Harbinger: The Beginning
Host:oraclexview
Publisher:Valiant Comics
Creators:Jim Shooter & David Lapham (writer), David Lapham & Bob Layton (pencilers), John Dixon, David Lapham, Bob Layton, Gonzalo Mayo, Kathryn Bolinger & Terry Austin (inkers)
Genre:Superhero
No of Issues:8
Age Rating:Teen+
Read by:Calendar day (January 27, 2013)
Host Rating:4.5/5
Community Rating:N/A
Published:1/1992 - 7/1992
Synopsis:
In 1992, legendary writer Jim Shooter and newcomer artist David Lapham teamed up to reinvent a staple of comic book storytelling - the superhero team genre. Their darker approach more realistically portrayed superpowered teenagers. The characters behaved like real people, blurring the line between good and evil. The heroes were flawed and sometimes loathsome, while the villains were often noble and frighteningly identifiable.

Harbinger became a critical and commercial smash hit, sparking a national obsession with Valiant Comics. Harbinger's first issue was named Collectible of the Decade by Wizard Magazine, appeared on Wizard Magazine s Top Ten list for a then-record eight consecutive months, and in 2006 was named the 1990s Comic Book of the Decade by Sequart. Harbinger also became one of the most popular comic series of the 1990s, selling over 5 million comic books.

Harbingers are human beings with extraordinary powers of the mind. Throughout history, their dangerous abilities tended to lie dormant, emerging in occasional bursts that are brought on by stress. This all changes when Japanese tycoon Toyo Harada, the world's most powerful Harbinger, establishes the Harbinger Foundation. The organization s vast power and resources are dedicated to train other Harbingers and promote Harada's vision of world betterment, no matter the cost. Soon after, the Foundation discovers the existence of teenager Peter Stanchek, the only Harbinger who can rival Harada's own Godlike powers.

Harbinger: The Beginning is the full Harbinger origin story (Harbinger issues #0-7) by comics legend Jim Shooter and Eisner Award-winner David Lapham which was one of the most celebrated landmark stories in modern comics that revolutionized the superhero team genre.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by oraclexview.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, kenjio, Trask

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 11 months ago #28756

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
I've been reading Harbinger and had no clue that it was a reboot of an old Jim Shooter comic. The only thing I ever bought from the old Valiant was a few Bloodshot and Turok issues.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Madmatx.

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 11 months ago #28757

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
I thought the Valiant Comics line of books in their first two years were the best released by far during that period, due to the creators clearly putting story first and artwork second. The artwork wasn't always the best in the industry, but it was of high quality and each book across the entire line shared a similar look and feel. All the titles stood on their own yet had subtle links to each other which made me love the entire line that much more. Of those titles, the first to bring Valiant Comics into the greater limelight was Harbinger. I remember it taking me years to get my hands on the original books in this reading list (Harbinger V1992 #0-7). I chose these books because of their original rarity and high acclaim, though not too hard to find, thanks to its great sales, in TPB form for those of you wanting to grab copies in paper format. This series at first glance didn't seem like more than an independent released drop in the ocean, but once I began reading it, I quickly realized that it and its related titles would form large waves in the ocean causing a great tsunami in the industry. I hope you all come to enjoy this story arc and the rest of the early Valiant universe as much as I did. Have fun reading! :cheer:

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 11 months ago #28761

• Trask
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Cheers Oracle, sounds very interesting. I've never read a Valiant comic before, so looking forward to reading this, keeping in mind what you've said as I do so.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 11 months ago #28771

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Hey Oraclex, thanks for this proposal. I never approached Valiant before. At the time here in Spain we would only get Marvel and DC and little else. Also, I was not very fond of Jim Shooter (he was responsible for some major mischief while he was head of Marvel), so I used to overlook anything that involved him. Maybe, it is time to give him a second chance! Thanks.

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 11 months ago #28783

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
All day I've been looking to order this online, but it is out of print everywhere. It seems that I won't get to read this on paper. :(
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 11 months ago #28785

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
There's a bunch of copies on Amazon and the graphic novel of the first 4 issues on eBay.

Unless you live in a country where you're not able to buy from those sites.

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 11 months ago #28787

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
600WPMPO wrote:
All day I've been looking to order this online, but it is out of print everywhere. It seems that I won't get to read this on paper. :(
Madmatx is correct.
Madmatx wrote:
There's a bunch of copies on Amazon...Unless you live in a country where you're not able to buy from those sites.
And I personally would go with eBay here where you can find the full 8 collected issues currently for as low as $30 US dollars brand new with the "Buy It Now" option, or go with a cheaper used copy from the same link or from the Amazon link Madmatx provided. :)
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 11 months ago #28793

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
So, I tried giving this a read this afternoon. Have to say, not really for me. While I do see what oyhers may appreciate, it simply doesn't do anything for me. I'm not finding anything that is making me want to pick up the next issue, and that's a clear sign for me to stop reading.
Obviously this doesn't mean the book isn't good, so I hope I don't influence anyone.

Anyhow, thanks oracle for the suggestion, hope everyone else enjoys it and provides quality feedback :-)
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 11 months ago #28797

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I have to agree with kenjio here - I started to read this back in the day and just never could get into it. If I have time, I may try again - it certainly wasn't BAD, it just didn't catch my interest.
Time to create page: 0.518 seconds

Who's Online

We have 249 guests and 2 members online