Welcome, Guest
The bi-weekly ComicRack Reading Club

Poll: What are your thoughs on this story arc?

I loved it! 1 25%
It was good. 1 25%
OK, but not my cup of tea. 2 50%
It was pure crap (no more hosting for you)! No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 4
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Harbinger: The Beginning

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 9 months ago #28802

• Trask
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Read the first two issues on the plane this morning, and am currently waiting in the terminal for layover with free wifi woohoo! (It's not that common here in Aus) so thought I'd chip in quickly. Kinda have to agree with Kenjio and Shin so far. The writing made me cringe in a lot of parts, mainly due to plot structuring in which I couldn't slot in to a headspace where the progressions made sense to me (not sure if that's coherent, but it's the only way I can think to describe it). The artwork is okay, although after some of the other works offered up by this reading club, it fails to blow my mind I guess.
There's something there though, cause I'm feeling an itch to keep reading. Perhaps that's the genius of this series (for me at least), as I do truly want to know what happens next (even though I'm pretty sure it'll be some derivative of what I'm expecting).
I don't know anything about Jim Shooter, so in my interest to evolve my knowledge of everything comics, I'm going to have to do a bit of study regarding Perezmu and Oracle's comments. When I get to a real computer, I'm also going to do some research on how this series revolutionised comics at the time, apart from the obvious 'gritty/realistic' take on superheroes. Thanks guys.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 9 months ago #28806

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Trask wrote:
When I get to a real computer, I'm also going to do some research on how this series revolutionised comics at the time, apart from the obvious 'gritty/realistic' take on superheroes. Thanks guys.

On of the main things that Valiant did was help pave the way for other independent comic publishers such as Image. At the time it was pretty much only Valiant and Dark Horse that were producing quality comics in full color that were on par with the big 2. Plus they all had swanky, heavy duty covers like the trades of today have.

One thing Shooter did do for the benefit of comics while at Marvel as far as I remember was to advocate for the creation of the Epic imprint which allowed creator-owned books to be published and distributed by a huge company like Marvel.

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 9 months ago #28810

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Yes, Jim Shooter did A LOT for the industry as a whole. I think the main reason he was hard to get along with creatively was because he had a lot of creative innovative ideas and risk taking that I think the big two just weren't used to at the time. He really changed the game at Marvel during his time as Editor-in-Chief, and I think when you look at some of the classic stories and concepts that came from Marvel during his time at the helm, you realize just how much of a difference he made. Claremont & Bryne on X-Men, Miller on Daredevil, and Bryne on Fantastic Four. He started the then unpopular idea of selling books out of specialty comic shops only as well as creator owned properties published by THE major publisher (as Madmatx mentioned). He also started the company wide crossover events popular in comics today. he also experimented with ideas that later spawned into the Valiant universe first at Marvel with the New Universe comic line (though it didn't do well there).

I kind of figured that many may not take to this selection well based on what's been suggested beforehand. However, the early Valiant Comics were of great influence on me since this was around the time when I was first getting into comics. They were mostly on par with the major two publishers, yet with a slightly more mature approach. Though, they were most definitely no where close to the mature nature of say the Vertigo comics line. At that time this was perfectly fine to me in my youth. So, it still has the feel and approach of a mainstream superhero book for the most part, but in my opinion, was done much better in the sense that I found myself taking the characters in this fictional world more seriously. If you do like this genre of comics, then you may find yourself liking this series and I think you'll really get the full appreciation for this title when you read the Valiant universe as a whole for its first two years.

I'll hold off on my reviews until more people chime in first.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 9 months ago #28812

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
oraclexview wrote:
Madmatx wrote:
There's a bunch of copies on Amazon...Unless you live in a country where you're not able to buy from those sites.
And I personally would go with eBay here where you can find the full 8 collected issues currently for as low as $30 US dollars brand new with the "Buy It Now" option, or go with a cheaper used copy from the same link or from the Amazon link Madmatx provided. :)
I just now bought this one from ebay for $25 (+$17 for shipping):

Hope they deliver it to me within this fortnight....:unsure:

Amazon offers only third-party sellers for this...just look at their 'wonderful' shipping rates:

Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 9 months ago #28813

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
Man, New Universe was such a great idea but was just so bad.

Totally off topic, but anyone remember this gem from Blackthorne Publishing? I've got a copy in my miscellaneous longbox:

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 9 months ago #28815

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
Amazon offers only third-party sellers for this...just look at their 'wonderful' shipping rates:

$68.98 USD

Wow!!!
You can usually find the original issues in the dollar bins at conventions.....

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 9 months ago #28816

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
600WPMPO wrote:
I just now bought this one from ebay for $25 (+$17 for shipping):

• Items
    >$27.00
  • Shipping & Handling
    >$41.98
  • Total
    >$68.98 USD
It is still totally insane to me how sellers can have such major discrepancies in their shipping rates. Here in the states you can easily get a flat fee international shipping rate for around $20 for a small stack of comics/TPB size box, so why they think anyone would except exorbitant rates like some on Amazon is beyond me. Hope you get some enjoyment out of the book! :)

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 9 months ago #28817

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
Madmatx wrote:
Man, New Universe was such a great idea but was just so bad.

Totally off topic, but anyone remember this gem from Blackthorne Publishing? I've got a copy in my miscellaneous longbox
Yeah, I remember seeing New Universe books in the back issue bins thinking what crap is this? It just looked so cheap. I only bothered to read a few issues I got for free and they were horrible. Though the concept behind it was awesome, yet Marvel just didn't put enough money behind it to see Shooter's idea put together the way he envisioned. I will say that he got it right the 2nd time with Valiant, and even with Defiant.

Was that Blackthorne book a real release? I've never heard of it but I like the pun mocking New Universe cover. :laugh:

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 9 months ago #28820

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I would greatly appreciate if reading club hosts would search & post the link from where we can buy the comics. (note to self: put this in the guidelines).

@oraclexview: seeing his level of involvement in the forum these days, shall we offer the next fortnight's reading club to Madmatx? :unsure:
oraclexview wrote:
Hope you get some enjoyment out of the book! :)
Yeah, you better hope so.... or the bill is getting forwarded to your doorstep! :laugh:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Harbinger: The Beginning 4 years 9 months ago #28821

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
600WPMPO wrote:
I would greatly appreciate if reading club hosts would search & post the link from where we can buy the comics. (note to self: put this in the guidelines).
I like this idea...makes sense. Finding it's availability online was a major part of what made me ultimately chose this story arc over others. I just didn't think to post the link originally.
600WPMPO wrote:
@oraclexview: seeing his level of involvement in the forum these days, shall we offer the next fortnight's reading club to Madmatx? :unsure:
As long as Madmatx is up for it, I think that'd be a swell idea.
600WPMPO wrote:
oraclexview wrote:
Hope you get some enjoyment out of the book! :)
Yeah, you better hope so.... or the bill is getting forwarded to your doorstep! :laugh:
The real funny part is your comment is the very thought I had which made me say that last line in the first place! I was like, damn, 600 is buying the book just for this suggestion...if he doesn't like it I may me on the hook for reimbursement. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Who's Online

We have 198 guests and 8 members online