Total number of voters: 5
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Page:

TOPIC: Insufferable

Insufferable 4 years 8 months ago #29331

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Reading Club for Calendar days (January 28, 2013 - February 10, 2013)
Insufferable is a free online digital comic from Thrillbent. Comixology also sells "collected editions" of 4 issues per volume with added features The first story arc just recently ended and consists of week 1-34.

Each issue can be read on the website or is downloadable in either CBZ or PDF formats. This is a great comic to read on a tablet (for the best reading experience turn page turning animations off).
I was unable to create a working CBW for this but if anyone figures it out feel free to post it.
Book:Insufferable
Host:Madmatx
Publisher:Thrillbent
Creators:Mark Waid (writer), Peter Krause (artist), Nolan Woodard (Colorist), Troy Peteri (letterer)
Genre:Superhero - No Superpowers
No of Issues:34 (roughly the content of 5 regular comics
Age Rating:n/a
Read by:Calendar day (February 10, 2013)
Host Rating:5/5
Community Rating:N/A
Published:May 1, 2012 - December 26, 2012
Where to purchase a physical copy?:N/A It has not been published in print
Next Host:600WPMPO
Tagline:
What happens when you’re a crimefighter and your sidekick grows up to be an arrogant, ungrateful douchebag? What on Earth could draw the two of you back together again?
Synopsis:
Insufferable is an American comic book series written by Mark Waid and digitally published by Waid's Thrillbent label. The series, described by Waid as a "dramedy", follows an estranged superhero team; the dedicated hero Nocturnus, and his arrogant, egotistical former sidekick Galahad, who are forced to reunite to tackle a new case. Insufferable reunited Waid with his Irredeemable creative team, artist Peter Krause and colorist Nolan Woodward. The series began publication on May 1, 2012, as Thrillbent's launch title.

Waid designed the comic specifically for digital release as opposed to comics which are designed for print and also released digitally. Remarking on the flexibility of digital comics allowing long, short, and one-off series, Waid stated "I can see Insufferable ending at some point, but I also see how we can do sequels."

Host review: I thought of going with a different genre since the last 2 fortnights were superhero. "Local" from Oni Press was the frontrunner but I decided to go with something that everyone had access to since we were never able to get last week's choice up on the shared folder; Best thoughts for Shinrai and what he's got going on.

I've enjoyed this comic from the start. Good storytelling, great cliffhangers, wonderful art, and amazing page transitions that only an ecomic can provide. I read in an interview with Peter Krause that Mark Waid offered to give him part ownership of insufferable in lieu his artwork fee. Mark Waid himself sold off his comic book collection to fund this project:

Mark Waid Sells His Collection

Now I worked at a comic shop on the weekends for about a year in 1986-1987 when I was like 12 years old and used all my earnings to buy 50% discounted comics and I sold 2 longboxes when I was 17 for $1,500 USD plus a racing bicycle that was worth over $1,000 but I can't even begin to imagine what this guy parted with.....

Back to the comic: I love that the noir-style artwork and the page-turning layouts. Sure it's a BatManeasque archetype but it works and doesn't feel stale or borrowed. I'm not a big twitter guy but this is the absolute best use of twitter that I've ever seen in a comic.

I give this a 5 of 5 for sheer originality for the storytelling of the trappings of a celebrity in today's society and the use of the digital format without a care for how it could be printed.... plus the storytelling was just great!

NPR Interview
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Madmatx.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Insufferable 4 years 8 months ago #29460

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
Seriously? Four days and not one single comment? no initial thoughts or ideas on the concept of the website?

Has anyone had a change to read the first week at least?

Re: Insufferable 4 years 8 months ago #29464

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I've read the first book (got the collected editions) and I'm liking it so far. The best thing is how the layout fits the tablet perfectly :P and I also like the whole "turn the page animation off" thingy. Took me a moment to realise why I should do it, but it definitely works.

The story seems nicely written, and I like the artwork, but nothing more so far.
The cliffhanger was interesting, but not mind-blowing. We'll see what happens in the next issue.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Madmatx

Re: Insufferable 4 years 8 months ago #29465

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
This weeks One-Shot on the web-site You Think You're So Smart was hilarious.

Re: Insufferable 4 years 8 months ago #29467

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I'll start reading this tomorrow... first, I was delayed by last weeks' Harbingers, and today I'll be finishing a book that I'm reading these days..'Punk Rock Jesus' (pretty good book, that!)

I once started reading Insufferable when it's first issue came out, but could never hop on regularly. But, thanks to Maddy, I'll now get to read this.. :-)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Insufferable 4 years 8 months ago #29468

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
600WPMPO wrote:
I'll be finishing a book that I'm reading these days..'Punk Rock Jesus' (pretty good book, that!)

Punk Rock Jesus was epic!
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Insufferable 4 years 8 months ago #29469

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
kenjio wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:
I'll be finishing a book that I'm reading these days..'Punk Rock Jesus' (pretty good book, that!)

Punk Rock Jesus was epic!

Haven't read the last issue yet but I have to agree.

Re: Insufferable 4 years 8 months ago #29472

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
OK for all you lurkers out there:

I will give you +1 karma if you make an account and post something meaningful in this thread as your 1st post. That means that your opinion on this forum for all eternity will be greatly exalted above the average 13 year old.

Anyways, go for it. The comic is legally free to download and we'd like to hear your opinion. What is it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Insufferable 4 years 8 months ago #29477

• DarkSynopsis
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I believe I read 10ish issues once it launched and was enjoying it! Main reason I checked it out was due to loving Irredeemable and Incorruptible.

I really need to get back into though since I just stopped reading it for whatever reason... I seem to be behind on anything digital like Smallville also I was reading that for awhile and just got behind.

Re: Insufferable 4 years 8 months ago #29502

• ksandersbna
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Excellent choice. I haven't heard of this series but I'm enjoying the heck out of it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

Who's Online

We have 223 guests and 7 members online