This was pure crap! (no more hosting for you) No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 5
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Life & Times of Savior 28

The Life & Times of Savior 28 4 years 10 months ago #29816

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Reading Club for Calendar week 7 (February 11-24, 2013)
Book:The Life and Times of Savior 28
Host:600WPMPO
Publisher:IDW Publishing
Creators:J.M. DeMatteis (writer), Mike Cavallaro (artist)
Genre:Superhero - Deconstruction
No of Issues:5
Age Rating:Mature
ISBN:978-1600105760
Where to purchase a physical copy?:Amazon
Read by:February 24, 2013
Host Rating:4.9/5
Community Rating:4.5/5
Published:2009
Host Review:...coming soon
Next Host:to-be-announced
Background:

Originally conceived over twenty years ago as a Captain America Story, The Life and Times of Savior 28 shows what happens when a longtime patriotic superhero decides to denounce his previous life and embrace pacifism. Savior 28 is assassinated early in the story (that’s not really a spoiler-it’s shown on the cover of issue #1), and the rest of the story is narrated by Savior 28’s former sidekick, Dennis McNulty, now an old man. Through flashbacks and anecdotes, we see the lies, legends, and half-truths that make up the legend of Savior 28, and that led to his fall.

Reviews:

"I honestly think this title has the potential to be one of the great examinations and deconstructions of the superhero genre, in years to come this book could be held up along side the Dark Knight Returns or Watchmen. (maybe not) Seriously, read this. Intelligent. Entertaining. Good."
Ifanboy

“DeMatteis delivers a powerhouse first issue, constructing the world of Savior 28 in short, precise strokes, with tremendous support from Cavallaro, whose style is well-matched to the generation spanning story.”
SFRevu

“Brilliant.”
The Daily Blog

“DeMatteis had imbued more weight and complexity to this character's pathos than ninety percent of all the dysfunctional superheroes we've seen over the past three decades. Cavallaro's work here is stellar. A seamless marriage between words and images. A damn good comic.”
IGN

“Fantastic work.”
The Buy Pile/Comic Book Resources

“J.M. DeMatteis knows how to hook the reader’s attention with a good mix of backstory, plot, and character development...and Mike Cavallaro provides eye-pleasing visuals with a style that’s Kirby filtered thru Allred.”
Ain’t It Cool News

“A fantastic first issue. The art suits the story perfectly, flowing from a perfect Golden Age look and creating a tarnished memory of the heroes we remember. An exciting, fresh look at the superheroes of yesteryear.”
The Homeworld

“Brilliant. So far, The Life and Times of Savior 28 is easily the best new superhero book of 2009...”
Comic Related

“Highly recommended for fans of dark superhero deconstructions.”
The Blog Monster

“As the washed-up hero’s career is recounted by his estranged and grown-up kid sidekick, glimpses of a violent world made vibrant by Kirby-inspired leanings combined with Cavallaro’s solid animation background are mated with DeMatteis’ exceptional sense of character. The final result is a #1 that offers more story and pathos than a usual single issue.”
New York City Graphic Novelist

“The Life and Times of Savior 28 works with archetypical characters and settings, giving us something you don’t see in a lot of comics: a whole new take.”
Major Spoilers

“A story that takes the superhero concept and looks at it with a critical eye, applying it to our current cultural mindset. It asks both interesting questions and gives us some gray answers. A unique and worthwhile look at superheroes”
Cosmic Comix

"The Life and Times of Savior 28 is a story about how lofty dreams too often fall before harsh reality, and how we build up our heroes only to tear them down. It is also a story that couldn't have possibly been as good with Captain America, and one that is that much better for having formed for a few extra years. It is really, really good, and you should check it out."
Again with the comics

“Refreshing and original. A great story about a man first and a hero second. Cavallaro and Covalt create a visual world defined by bright colors and iconic visuals. I promise you won’t be disappointed.”
The Source Wall

“A compelling portrait.”
Word Balloon

So, let's begin, shall we? ;)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: Added poll
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenjio

Re: The Life & Times of Savior 28 4 years 10 months ago #29959

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I guess with all the buzz around CRiOS, the reading club is being forgotten :(

I'm still trying to find time to finish the previous book, but will gladly give this a spin. Thanks for the suggestion!
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: The Life & Times of Savior 28 4 years 10 months ago #29971

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
I read the first issue the other night and so far it's intriguing. I like that much of the story is told second hand so we don't know for sure if that's how things really happened. The narrative is well done and there was a good cliff hanger that left me wanting to know what happens next (but not enough to force myself to stay awake any longer ;) ).

I'd never heard of the artist before, it turns out he's usually a colorist but his style was good for this book. The art is kind of reminiscent of the golden age or early silver age style except for the coloring.

Issue #1 I'd give a 4.5/5
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: The Life & Times of Savior 28 4 years 10 months ago #29978

• 600WPMPO
Madmatx wrote:
I read the first issue the other night and so far it's intriguing. I like that much of the story is told second hand so we don't know for sure if that's how things really happened. The narrative is well done and there was a good cliff hanger that left me wanting to know what happens next (but not enough to force myself to stay awake any longer ;) ).
I last read this 3 years back when it came out, & will now re-read this from today. Let us see if I get that impressed as I got 3 years back...:P
Madmatx wrote:
I'd never heard of the artist before, it turns out he's usually a colorist but his style was good for this book. The art is kind of reminiscent of the golden age or early silver age style except for the coloring.
Here is some info about the creators:

Re: The Life & Times of Savior 28 4 years 9 months ago #29979

• 600WPMPO
Well then..just read (re-read after 3 years, to be precise) the first issue & it is really good. This is a self-contained story. Characters are introduced, plots laid down, expository & preachy at places, heart-warming & shocking at others. If only the crap of books being published these days had the first issue even half as good as this one, I'd be most satisfied.

This is a perfect first issue, though I'll take away 0.1 for the expository nature of the narrative.

4.9/5.0

Re: The Life & Times of Savior 28 4 years 9 months ago #29988

• 600WPMPO
Continuing with my 'host' review...

Just finished the second issue, & now I'm completely IN it.

This book is, by & large, a satire. On our society, on superheroes, on human behaviour in general. The narrative is extremely well-written, and flows so lucid that before I knew, the issue was over. I highly respect books (movies) which have this quality; to immerse the reader (viewer) so much in them that he forgets about everything else that is passing him by.

The art is golden-age-ish. While I don't prefer this type of art, here it fits in well with the strong narrative-based story that is taking place largely in the past.

This is a perfect issue for me & I can't find any significant fault, other than minor issues with the art.

5/5

Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: The Life & Times of Savior 28 4 years 9 months ago #29989

• 600WPMPO
I'm still reading...

The 3rd issue drags a bit. By now, we know the pretext. The story moves along at the same pace as the last 2 issues, and along predictable lines. But that doesn't mean that there isn't anything there to enjoy. Lots of moments where the writing (& art too) excels. The peace rally, for example, and the unexpected way in which it ends.

The issue ends with a cliffhanger, that I think would go in a particular direction. Maybe my subconscious mind already knows it, having read the book earlier. Or maybe I'm guessing the story as an intelligent *cough* reader would. I don't know...you tell! ;-)

4/5

Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: The Life & Times of Savior 28 4 years 9 months ago #29996

• 600WPMPO
;) Spot the differences:

Re: The Life & Times of Savior 28 4 years 9 months ago #30014

• 600WPMPO
I am still reading....

Issue 4 has one of the most true-to-heart conversations between two friends who have different ways of seeing things. The 5-6 pages where Savior is interrogated are exemplary.

And then there are satires on pretty much every superhero you can think about.. Aquaman, Batman, Spider-Man et al. The story takes a back-seat as we witness an excellent deconstruction of the superhero genre. Dysfunctional, dystopian, disgusting.. that's how the world is made to portray. And it is not much of an exaggeration.

Pretty strong issue. Will surely re-re-read it. This gets a 4.5/5, as I take away half a mark for a slower plot progression.

Re: The Life & Times of Savior 28 4 years 9 months ago #30032

• 600WPMPO
The final issue is over...

This was really emotional. 60 seconds of peace on the world..? Are we asking for too much? An excellent narrative that leaved you spellbound by its sincerity, brings the perfect closure to a perfect series.

5/5. (which, by the way, means that I haven't changed in 3 years!)

And, since none of you is interested in the reading club, I guess this will be the last one. I've had enough of running after, cajoling & persuading you guys to keep the club alive. You are not interested. I can see that.

:-(

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds

Who's Online

We have 205 guests and one member online