Welcome, Guest
The bi-weekly ComicRack Reading Club

Poll: Did you enjoy \"The Last of the Greats\"?

Hells yeah!! 3 50%
nuh-uh 1 16.7%
Are we still doing this? didn't we call it quits? 2 33.3%
Total number of voters: 6 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: The Last of the Greats

The Last of the Greats 4 years 9 months ago #30402

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Reading Club n°8 - Feb 26th 2013

Book: The Last of the Greats
Host: kenjio
Publisher: Image
No of Issues: 5
Age Rating: Mature
Published: 2011
From ComicVine
There were seven, possessing the power of gods, and representing all that could be right with the world. But now... he is the Last. As humanity stands on the brink of annihilation, he is our only hope. And he hates us for what we've done. From the Eisner and Harvey Award-nominated writer of ECHOES, Tumor and Elk's Run comes a dynamic new take on how far mankind will stoop to survive.

Traditionally, my choice of comic books was geared towards well-established superheroes (Spidey, Spawn, Batman, etc) - but I found the continuity frustrating. So, more recently, I started looking into miniseries (which I previously avoided like the plague). I appreciate the fact I can pick up a 5-issue run and know all there is to it. Without ret-conning the hell out of everything. Without tie-ins. Without the hassle.

This is one of the first miniseries I picked up, and it definitely got me hooked.

I'm curious to see what you guys think about it. Enjoy!
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
The topic has been locked.

Re: The Last of the Greats 4 years 9 months ago #30412

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
The choice of books is promising. Will start reading from tonight.. :-)

And the poll options are hilariously smart... :laugh: For the meanwhile, I have voted as 'Are we still doing this?'
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: The Last of the Greats 4 years 9 months ago #30416

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
I read the 1st issue and it seems pretty promising. I realized that this series is written by the same guy that writes I, Vampire which I read the first 8 issues of and really enjoyed.

The read went by really smoothly and I never found myself looking at how many pages were left to go.

I'd give issue 1 a solid 4.5/5
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Madmatx.

Re: The Last of the Greats 4 years 9 months ago #30423

• 600WPMPO
Just read issue 1, and I couldn't but keep on thinking about Irredeemable.

The last 'great' here is a one-dimensionally arrogant being who constantly keeps on abusing/rebuking the humans at his disposal, unprovoked. I found that a bit annoying, and the only weak point of this book. Also, The art was not to my liking. A few panels, especially in the end, seemed rushed on.

However, it was fast-paced, enjoyable, and quite nicely comprehensible to the first time reader.

Overall, 3.5/5. Promising, but can go either ways in the coming issues.

Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: The Last of the Greats 4 years 9 months ago #30441

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
The last 'great' here is a one-dimensionally arrogant being who constantly keeps on abusing/rebuking the humans at his disposal, unprovoked.

Well, they did kill his entire family that was with him on the planet.

And yeah, it was reminiscent of Irredeemable and also reminded me a lot of some earlier Invincible with Omni-Man's story.

Re: The Last of the Greats 4 years 9 months ago #30453

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
I finished reading this and I'm looking forward to the sequel. I've read other similar stories before but I enjoyed that it always kept me guessing and never gets boring or too predictable.

The art was a tad simplistic but I think it got better with issue 3 when they changed inkers, so that was good at least.

Thanks for the recommendation. I give the series over all rating of 4.5

Re: The Last of the Greats 4 years 9 months ago #30482

• 600WPMPO
I just read issue #3 & could think of just one word after it: 'Amazing'! :-)

This is a really enjoyable book. Pity the pages end up so fast when you are having all the fun!

Here are some words by another reviewer on the net:

"All this is great but here’s the real kicker of The Last of the Greats: I have no idea what’s going to happen next. It’s an amazing feeling to read a book, have a clear idea in your mind of what’s to come, and none of that happens. We’re dealing with characters that are not definitely good or evil. You can’t expect the worse from anybody. You can’t expect them to do the right thing either. Everyone is flawed and I love it."

Re: The Last of the Greats 4 years 9 months ago #30494

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
"All this is great but here’s the real kicker of The Last of the Greats: I have no idea what’s going to happen next. It’s an amazing feeling to read a book, have a clear idea in your mind of what’s to come, and none of that happens. We’re dealing with characters that are not definitely good or evil. You can’t expect the worse from anybody. You can’t expect them to do the right thing either. Everyone is flawed and I love it."

This reminded me of one of the things I'm reading (well I mostly listen to the audio books before I go to sleep at night). If anyone's read George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novels (or watched the Game of Thrones TV show) this is also what makes those books so great.

There are very few characters that are all good or all bad and you just never know what's coming next.

Re: The Last of the Greats 4 years 9 months ago #30499

• 600WPMPO
Madmatx wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:

This reminded me of one of the things I'm reading (well I mostly listen to the audio books before I go to sleep at night). If anyone's read George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novels (or watched the Game of Thrones TV show) this is also what makes those books so great.

There are very few characters that are all good or all bad and you just never know what's coming next.
One thing that I don't understand is that why people on Amazon hate this book so much... :unsure:

Re: The Last of the Greats 4 years 9 months ago #30503

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
Because people on the internet are stupid.

They are trying to compare this to Irredeemable which had over 3 years to flesh out a story. That one guy also mentioned Miracleman which also ran for a few years plus it's not fair to compare to writers like Waid, Moore, and Gaiman.

This is just the first 5 issue intro into a new world of beings that we still know very little about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds

Who's Online

We have 254 guests and one member online