Total number of voters: 4
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Page:

TOPIC: Madrox: Multiple Choice

Madrox: Multiple Choice 4 years 6 months ago #31980

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Reading Club for Calendar weeks 15 & 16 (April 8 - 21, 2013)

Book:Madrox (AKA Madrox: Multiple Choice)
Issue Nubers:1-5
No of Issues:5
Host:Madmatx
Publisher:Marvel
Imprint:Marvel Knights
Creators:Peter David (Writer), Pablo Raimondi (Penciller), Drew Hennessy (Inker), Brian Reber (colorist)
Genre:Super-Hero/"Noir-Lite"
Age Rating:PSR (Parental Supervision Recommended)
ISBN:978-0785115007 (Paperback), 978-0785130314 (Hardcover)
Where to purchase a physical copy?:Amazon The original, individual issues are pretty cheap if you prefer to hunt them down instead.
Where to purchase a digital copy?:Comixology
Read by:April 21, 2013
Host Rating:4/5
Community Rating:4.25/5
Published:2004
Host Review:It's been a while since I've read this comic but I remember that I realy enjoyed it and jumped right into the first 13 issues of X-Factor after reading this so it must have caught my attention.
Next Host:kenjio

Book Description:
The mini-series that launched the all-new X-Factor. Jamie Madrox, stabbed, staggering off a bus. Jamie Madrox, setting up a detective agency in the heart of Mutant Town. Jamie Madrox, a peaceful Shaolin priest. Which is the real Jamie Madrox? In this noir-esque thriller of a limited series, it's possible that even Madrox doesn't know anymore. Peter David, acclaimed for his run on X-Factor, reunites several of that title's most popular and whimsical characters - Jamie Madrox, Wolfsbane, and the aptly named Strong Guy - and sends them on an adventure of light and darkness. Featuring the incredibly moody pencils of Pablo Raimondi.

Plot Summary:

Peter David and Pablo Raimondi tell the story of Jamie Madrox, the Multiple Man, and his detective agency in Mutant Town in this miniseries originally released under the “Marvel Knights” imprint in 2004.

Madrox, a former member of the government superhero team X-Factor, can create duplicates of himself, and often sends them out to learn new things before he re-absorbs them, along with what they’ve learned. Because the Multiple Man can go in so many directions, he often has a hard time choosing just one. The dupes represent different aspects of Jamie’s personality, and as such, don’t always behave exactly how he thinks they might.

Inspired by film noir tropes, in this mini-series, Madrox has to investigate the death of one of his duplicates. This miniseries was the prelude to the ongoing “X-Factor” series that began in 2006
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Madmatx.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Madrox: Multiple Choice 4 years 6 months ago #31981

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
I was thinking it was about time for another read by one of the "Big 2."

I've always liked Peter David's writing whether it be comics, novels or TV.

I know that many people aren't a fan of X-Titles but I think that X-Factor is a pretty underrated comic. The Multiple Man is actually quite a fascinating character even though he started out as a B-list character for many years.

Timeframe: This series takes place shortly before the events of "The House of M" and X-Factor vol.3 that this leads up to starts right after that event and at the start of the events "Decimation" and "Civil War."

Re: Madrox: Multiple Choice 4 years 6 months ago #31988

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Yup, generally not a fan of the whole X phenomenon, except maybe a few arcs here and there.
Will give this a spin though, thanks for the suggestion!
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Madrox: Multiple Choice 4 years 6 months ago #31989

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I also never liked X-Factor, but will give this a chance..

Be prepared for ruthless reviews! ;-)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Madrox: Multiple Choice 4 years 6 months ago #32014

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
This series was pretty good. Really, Peter David's entire X-Factor run is pretty good. Trust me, kids, if X-books usually put you off, this is NOT more of the same. (Modern X-Factor is really barely an X-book as it is, beyond the origins of the cast)
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Shinrai.

Re: Madrox: Multiple Choice 4 years 6 months ago #32456

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I'm going with option #4 this time (I'm not able to read it), simply because the book is so unavailable. It's not available in my region's online bookstores, where it is simply listed as 'out of print'. Amazon sells it via third-party sellers who already sell at double the price & an equal amount for international shipping. Same at eBay. I don't want to buy at Comixology, because if I'll spend money, I'll spend on real paper. I'll also admit that I'm not even able to pirate it.

So, a pretty dismal choice for a reading club, I say.

I see kenjio's name as the next host. I hope he also sees it, and posts a book that I can actually get to read.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Madrox: Multiple Choice 4 years 6 months ago #32458

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
I see kenjio's name as the next host. I hope he also sees it, and posts a book that I can actually get to read.

Of course I see it.. who do you take me for, sir, a fool?!?! tsk tsk....

On a more serious note, I'll post more about the book during the weekend, if time allows it.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by kenjio.

Re: Madrox: Multiple Choice 4 years 6 months ago #32463

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
I figured most people have pretty extensive Marvel collections from Complete Marvel Chronology files so I guess I just assumed most people would have it or know where to find it.

I threw this up on my Shared Library for now if you want to read it (Madmatx's Lirary). In the future you can feel free to PM my if you don't have access to a book and I might have a digital copy I can share.

If anyone wants to read it still feel free to leave this thread open for a little extra time.

Re: Madrox: Multiple Choice 4 years 6 months ago #32511

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, my scepticism was totally unfounded (that's the point of scepticism, isn't it?).
I've never been into the X-Factor books, so all the characters were new for me.

I think "making clones of you every time you hit something" is going to be in my new top 5 list of favourite super powers (along with Tony Chu's cybopathy).

I enjoyed the story, with the many "noir-esque" twists and turns (sometimes a bit clichè, but we read comic books because, deep down, we enjoy them), and Madrox was a really interesting character.

I don't know if he was a well-established character before this series, or if this was his first big appearance - either way, it was a good starting point. I found myself wanting to pick up the next book as soon as I read the last pages.
At the end of the series, I almost wanted to read more, but at the same time felt that this story was nicely self contained and closed, and would be perfect without any sequels or developments. Maybe one day I'll pick up from here.

4/5 from me, thanks again for the suggestion!!
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Madrox: Multiple Choice 4 years 6 months ago #32514

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
kenjio wrote:
I don't know if he was a well-established character before this series, or if this was his first big appearance - either way, it was a good starting point. I found myself wanting to pick up the next book as soon as I read the last pages.

Madrox is one of those characters who had been around for a while, but nobody had ever done anything terribly interesting with him before this.

EDIT: Also, while I'm in a relevant thread...I should finally have time to be able to get the issues with my server system sorted out soon-ish, so I can probably start hosting books again.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Shinrai.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Who's Online

We have 216 guests and 3 members online