Total number of voters: 5
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Millar & McNiven's Nemesis

Millar & McNiven's Nemesis 4 years 6 months ago #32510

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Reading Club for April 22 - May 5, 2013

Book: Nemesis (AKA Millar & McNiven's Nemesis)
No of Issues: 4
Publisher: Icon Comics
Published: 2010
Comicvine: www.comicvine.com/millar-mcnivens-nemesis/4050-32161/

Plot Summary:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

I put the summary in a SPOILER tag, simply because, when I originally picked up the book, I did so simply because of the cover (I always thought the "never judge a book..." is complete bulls***)

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this. I wasn't familiar with Millar's work (outside of the Ultimate Marvel stuff) - and this eventually made me pick up Kick-Ass (well, the film, too).
NEXT HOST: 600WPMPO
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by kenjio.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Millar & McNiven's Nemesis 4 years 6 months ago #32520

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
This one has been sitting in my ComicRack for a long time. I think now I'll read it.:)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Millar & McNiven's Nemesis 4 years 6 months ago #32559

• 600WPMPO
First issue down, and a hard review is here:

Steve McNiven is one of my favourite artists, and I was expecting something on the lines of Civil War, or Old Man Logan here. But, I was disappointed to see McNiven divert from his usual style to a more 'digital' kind of art. The lettering also is very poor, just like the calibri font, which is nice when you are working on a word document, but very dull for a comic. I hope the letterer didn't get paid. As for the story, the setup is quite nice. We establish the main characters & get a lot of action. But, unlike the writing on the cover, this doesn't even get near Kick-Ass.

As a first issue, this one gets 2.5 out of 5 for being barely good enough to keep me going for the second.

From CBR:
Nemesis is a curiously muted comic from Millar, though. His trademark shock-value moments (which love or hate seem to always show up in his comics these days) are missing here, or at least I hope he hadn't thought they were in this. It's a predictable and surprisingly boring comic, moving through the paces at a plodding speed with nothing out of the ordinary.
McNiven's art is unfortunately some of the least interesting work I've seen of his. A lot of the detail and richness is missing from his art; while I'm not against a more stripped-down style of art, this is lacking any sort of oomph or wow factor.
You should never get to the end of a comic and find yourself thinking, "That's it?" I'm not a fan of Millar when his comics turn into a series of increasingly ludicrous moments, but I actually found myself yearning for something crazy in "Nemesis" #1. In-your-face Millar, as it turns out, is preferable to boring Millar.
1/5

Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Millar & McNiven's Nemesis 4 years 6 months ago #32560

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
"The lettering also is very poor, just like the calibri font"

This is a very big negative for me, I'll not read it.

Re: Millar & McNiven's Nemesis 4 years 6 months ago #32561

• 600WPMPO
Mammut wrote:

Here is a sample, so you can make up your mind:

Re: Millar & McNiven's Nemesis 4 years 6 months ago #32562

• 600WPMPO
Issue #2 is better.

This is turning out to be a fast-paced thriller, that you are meant to sit back & enjoy like a summer blockbuster. We get a lot of twists & turns here, and I don't know what's coming up in the next issue, but I sure cant wait for it!
That said, it is not without its problems, though. Exposition in the first few pages, a lack of background art, and a few scenes a bit too reminiscent of famous comics/ movies.

I give this a 3.5/5 for an enjoyable, although flawed, story with relatively weak art.

From IGN:
As early as the first concept art, fans knew Nemesis was going to be textbook Mark Millar excess and depravity, and every panel of issue #2 lives up to those initial blood-spattered images. If the writer's style and penchant for the obscene isn't up your alley, Nemesis isn't bound to change your mind. But for those of us who like a little Millar silliness alongside our Heroic Ages and Brightest Days, Nemesis #2 is one of the more fun, exhilarating journeys into MillarWorld.
8/10
From CBR:
It's not boring because its slowly paced, or because it doesn't conform to my idea of what a self-proclaimed evil Batman comic should be about. It's boring because half of the issue is directly lifted from other stories, and the other half is full of explanations of things that we aren't mean to care about. At its essence, "Nemesis" is a cat and mouse game between the super-crook and the super-cop, but this issue feels tired and stale. Its twists are not twists and its turns are not turns. It's just a comic filled with things that happen. And we're maybe supposed to care because some of those things are violent? I don't.

The issue opens with the origin story of Nemesis. His mom and dad had been operating a hunting club involving teenage runaways. It might make you think of Grant Morrison's "Invisibles," probably because that's where it's from. Later in the issue, Nemesis' car sheds its outer layer to reveal a wide-tired motorcycle. This scene's from a little movie called "The Dark Knight." It's pretty famous.

You could argue that Millar is recombining these pop culture references and playing off their intersections -- and the juxtaposition of these things with other genre archetypes -- but he doesn't do anything with the samples he takes. He just sticks them together here, like an unimaginative collage.
2/5

Re: Millar & McNiven's Nemesis 4 years 6 months ago #32563

• 600WPMPO
Issue 3 is average.

Now this turns into a family drama, and I think predictability is ample here. I think we have read better stories & seen better art from these very gifted creators. This is, at best, an average work. Still, better than many so-called 'average' contemporary books.
3/5

From IGN:
Like the series' first two installments, Nemesis #3 reads like the product of a hyperactive, warped adolescent mind that grew up on Batman comics. Which isn't to say it's not somewhat entertaining. It is, however, a way of saying the comic is not the least bit clever, witty, tasteful, sophisticated or original. There's not much depth to Mark Millar's high concept of an evil Batman doppelganger terrorizing a Commissioner Gordon clone, and the plot exists mostly as an excuse for Millar to roll out one vulgar, demented and/or hyper-violent idea after another.

I don't imagine the series' fourth and final installment will add much depth or intrigue to this story. Unless you're a diehard fan of Millar's work, you can probably afford to skip this series altogether.
6/10
From CBR:
“Nemesis” #3 contains a wonderfully violent action sequence from Steve McNiven that ranks among his best work before he does the ‘quiet’ scenes with great skill. Like many blockbusters, the writing and story are almost beside the point with the visuals and spectacle taking over. What will remain with you is Nemesis hunched over a dead body and bathed in blood, not the plot details.
3.5/5

Re: Millar & McNiven's Nemesis 4 years 6 months ago #32564

• 600WPMPO
Huh? What did I just read? This is called 'style without substance'. If, just for a moment, you begin to analyse logically the events in the 3rd & the last issue, it's all bullshit, meant only to 'entertain' you. So, don't analyse; this book doesn't deserve that. This needs just the amount of attention a B-grade movie will get from you.

An average 2.5/5 in the end.

From WCBR:
Not a “bad” comic, but very guilty of getting our mouths ready for something juicy and off-the-wall and then serving us a vanilla anticlimax of an ending. I do think that Millar and McNiven can go back to this universe in the future and tell some very fun stories now that the premise is out of the bag, but it made my reaction to the entire series into, “Awww, man! C’mon…”

From Multiversity:
I would for the simple reason that my expectations have been calibrated and I find myself enjoying this book, but not nearly as much as I would have if Nemesis had turned out to just be one ridiculously great super villain. The ending was a cop out, but one that works if only because of how much it fails (oddly). As much as I was deriding it, I will admit that it was worth a browse. The second half of this issue might have been pass-worthy, but the first half was dumb fun. I’d give the issue a 4.5 (out of 10) and the mini as a whole a 6.5.

Re: Millar & McNiven's Nemesis 4 years 6 months ago #32565

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Wow, 600 came down hard on this one!
Well, I appreciate honest reviews, and you've highlighted some aspects that I usually don't take into consideration when reading comics.
The lettering, for example, was of no obstruction to my reading whatsoever. Yes, it was different from most other books I read, but in no way did it hinder my enjoyment.
The art, however, I'll admit, is somewhat unconventional, and borderline poor in certain panels.
But, all in all, I thought it was an enjoyable bag of nonsensical and over-the-top fun, which gave me a few (maybe cheap) laughs.

I'm curious to see what other members think (not holding my breath though, attendance is scarce).
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Millar & McNiven's Nemesis 4 years 6 months ago #32566

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Mammut wrote:

My copies are pretty clear. I wonder if this is a case of that issue that was in the forums the last few months where a few people wanted the different decoders or somethings because of the native size that they read in?

..Side note... anyone else thing 600 is like a starving animal that goes crazy over a bone since he has thing comic after the whole Madroxgate last fortnight?
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds

Who's Online

We have 215 guests and 5 members online