TOPIC: Fly

Fly 4 years 4 months ago #33561

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
FLY
Reading Club for Monday May 20th to Sunday June 2nd

Book: Fly
# of issues: 5 (there's a 5 issue sequel as well, a selection for another time perhaps? ;) )
Available in TPB: Yes
Publisher: Zenescope
Published: June 1, 2011 - October 1, 2011

TBP INFO:
Published: December 20, 2011
ISBN-10: 1937068951
Purchase Physical: Amazon
Purchase Digital (TPB and Indiviual): Comixology

Summary (In spoiler tags to conserve space):
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Notes:
I chose this because the subject matter is extremely personal to me.
I will be reading it with you guys for the first time.
I chose to post cover B for the first issue. Most of the "default" covers are extremely provocative and, from what I've seen looking through it, do not reflect the the style of art in the issues themselves.
If I'm missing anything, just let me know and I'll add it.

Hoping we all enjoy this, and that its a start of good things to come!

EDIT 5/22/2013: I would like to take this opportunity to crown FPMPlay as the next host of the reading club that will take place June 3rd through June 16th.

I would also like to add that a team of ninja assassins has been put on escrow in the event that, from now until the end of time, anyone should attempt to flee from hosting duties after accepting the quest!
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by wojosama.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenjio

Re: Fly 4 years 4 months ago #33564

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
This looks nice :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wojosama

Re: Fly 4 years 4 months ago #33566

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Had this in my collection for some time (I'm collecting all things Zenescope, but have no time to read them), so I'll be looking forward to this.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Fly 4 years 4 months ago #33571

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I'll definitely read this, but any Zenescope book makes me think of over-sexualized female imagery, owing to which I do not ascribe any serious value to it. For me, Zenescope = Frivolous. But, I'll read this & see if I can (hopefully) change my opinion.

But, in any case, a warm welcome to our friend wojosama into the reading club group. Hope you stay here week after week after week! :-)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Fly 4 years 4 months ago #33572

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
I'll definitely read this, but any Zenescope book makes me think of over-sexualized female imagery, owing to which I do not ascribe any serious value to it. For me, Zenescope = Frivolous. But, I'll read this & see if I can (hopefully) change my opinion.

That's what I thought at first, and, though the art is often very provocative (cheap way to push sales, imo), some of their books are quite enjoyable. I'm still at an early stage of Zenescope history (a couple of years in), and hope it doesn't deteriorate down the line.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Fly 4 years 4 months ago #33581

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
I was worried about the art as well after seeing the primary covers. I scanned through the entire first issue and saw nothing even close the over-sexualized nature of the cover. I hope that other issues stick to this trend.

Oh, and unless I die or go blind, I'll be here week after week after week.

Re: Fly 4 years 4 months ago #33582

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah, most of their books have over-the-top covers, but the artwork inside is not half as "racy" as that.
Oh, and great to have you, it was starting to feel lonely in the reading club!
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Fly 4 years 4 months ago #33602

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Just finished this & here are my (spoiler-free) back-to-back reviews for this series:

Issue #1: 2.5/5
Now how similar is this to 'Joe Hill's The Cape'? Guy gets freaky superpowers by a cape/drugs, goes the villain way, and it all ends in doom. It appears that either the books picked up for the reading club have this recurring theme, or in general, alternative takes on the Superhero genre follow this general structure.
In itself, the book is not bad, but I've lately read too much similar stuff. The action scenes are good, but the comic mid-way shifts to a manga-like style (flashback scenes), which is a little jarring.

Issue #2: 2/5
The art is weaker than the first issue, and the story is so predictable that I feel as if I have read this many-a-times.

Issue #3: 3/5
A relatively better issue, where the story really gets moving. Now we can see that the story is one step further than 'The Cape', because here we have many players involved, but the motivations of each of them have been kept unclear, so we really do not know for certain that they really are what their actions are suggesting. There are a lot of questions regarding both the present & the flashbacks, and the story can go either way. So, for the first time, I am looking forward to the next issue.

Issue #4: 2.5/5
The 'twist' in the tale is here. Only one issue is left & that will decide whether this story was worth something or not.
On its own, the issue has a cliche story & the art lags behind at many places.

Issue #5: 3.5/5
So the mini-series ends with a cliffhanger. Whatever went so wrong between Eddie & Francis that things came to this, is still just a mystery. This was the best issue, with some very touching moments between the young couple.

Overall:
I can see a lot of positives about this series. It is totally non-expository, a perfect example of 'show, don't tell'. If we exempt the flashbacks, the story is just one day (one very bad day) in the life of our protagonist. The actions scenes are really very dynamic. And there are absolutely no over-sexualised female imagery (as opposed to the covers).

But then there also are negatives. While the action scenes are good, in general, the art is weak, due to which none of the characters is likeable. Other than the freckled face of one character, their is simply no correlation between the faces in the flashbacks and those in the present day scenes. It, thus, is very difficult to feel for them even as they crash, burn & die. Moreover, a lot of their actions seem unnatural & exaggerated. The dialogues are, at places, too corny. And the story does not resolve in the end, but leaves us unsatified, waiting for the sequel.

My rating (as an average of the 5 issues and my overall thoughts): 3/5

My vote: Second one: 'enjoyed most of it'

And thanks to wojosama for making me read a Zenescope book! :-)

And now, it's late at night here, I shall now sleep. Tomorrow is Monday, and I don't like Mondays. Ah...life! :pinch:

Some musings:

* Why does Zenescope need to always show 'racy' artwork on the covers? I mean, I read a review for this book on Amazon, where the guy said that he was disappointed by this book simply because the hot babe on the cover was depicted very differently inside the book. :silly:

* I really liked the mid-air love-making scene, specially where the traumatised girl keeps on saying, "It's my first time". That was the only moment where my heart went out to her, and really hate her dick-of-a-dad.

* I think I'll also read the sequel, as I'll really like to see what went wrong between the 3 friends.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Fly 4 years 4 months ago #33619

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
600WPMPO wrote:
* Why does Zenescope need to always show 'racy' artwork on the covers? I mean, I read a review for this book on Amazon, where the guy said that he was disappointed by this book simply because the hot babe on the cover was depicted very differently inside the book. :silly:

I think it's a nod to the horror film industry since pretty much all of their publications are horror comics (In low budget horror movies they always have the big breasted girls that usually end up topless or at least down to their bra at some point in the movie). I'll read this in the next few days but I know for example two other very excellent minis from them that I have read which are Waking and Se7en.

Re: Fly 4 years 4 months ago #33629

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
I think its unfortunate that some companies feel the need to have eye catchers like that for covers (especially when it doesn't reflect the style of art in the issues themselves). I'm not sure if that's indicative of their opinion of us as comic readers, or what their reasoning is. Although, Madmatx makes a good point about the B horror films and the relation to their usual stable of comics, so maybe I'm just overly paranoid lol.

Anyhow, I haven't read it yet, but I'll be reading it in the next few hours, so I'll have more to say then. For now though, I feel bad about the ending leaving you hanging so badly 600. I know they released the sequel pretty soon after so maybe that was the intention?

I hope this was an ok first pick. Until a few months ago I'd been out of comics for over 15 years, so my knowledge of what's out there is fairly limited still. I'd hate to have a total failure for my first pick! *hangs head in shame* :silly:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Who's Online

We have 201 guests and one member online