I didn't like it one bit No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 4
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Page:

TOPIC: Revolver

Revolver 4 years 3 weeks ago #36863

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Reading Club for Calendar week 39 (September 23 - October 6, 2013)
Book:Revolver
Host:600WPMPO
Publisher:Vertigo
Creators:Matt Kindt
Genre:??
No of Issues:1 (Graphic Novel)
Age Rating:?
ISBN:978-1401222420
Where to purchase a physical copy?:Amazon
Read by:October 6, 2013
Host Rating:coming soon
Community Rating:3.5/5
Published:2011
Host Review:coming soon
Next Host:to-be-announced
Book Description:
REVOLVER is a tale of two worlds, and how the both test a man to his limits...

Almost thirty and living in Seattle, Sam shuffles to his bed after a night out at the bars. The next morning he wakes up and catches the bus into the city, starting another day of his dead end life. But today on the radio he hears that the stock market has crashed, news of a bird-flu epidemic erupting in Asia pushes past a report of "radioactive-material-gone-missing-in-Russia." Did Sam really wake up this morning? The world has gone crazy--turned on its head. Sam thinks about riding the bus full loop, going home and pretending that the day hadn't started.

This terrible day is capped with the destruction of Seattle...

But when Sam wakes up in his small studio apartment the next morning he's confused. On the bus ride to work he listens to the radio. The world is fine...

Realities begin to bleed into one another as Sam jumps between his dull-drum, everyday life and a dark apocalyptic society...but which is the real one and which one will he have to live with forever? And the most important question: does he have a choice?

Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenjio, Madmatx

Re: Revolver 4 years 2 weeks ago #36927

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
I've only had a chance to read the first 30 pages or so of this wich is about equal to one normal issue but so far I like it. My initial thoughts:

Artwork: typical Matt Kindt art which I think goes along very well with his cerebral story writing.

Story: I've read Mind MGMT and this is kind of similar in that it's a slowly unraveling mystery.

Extra: I enjoy that he has the news feeds along the bottom to show the page numbers, they also help to convey the contrast between the two different worlds that Sam is living in.... just how bad the one is and how perfect yet boring the other is.

If you kinda like this guy's style but are looking for something that's a lot lighter reading then Mind MGMT I'd also recommend "3 Story: The Secret History of the Giant Man." It was written as several short stories for Dark horse Presents but they compiled them together into one book and it's got a bit of humor in it.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Madmatx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Revolver 4 years 2 weeks ago #36944

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Read this a year or so ago, love all Matt Kindt's stuff, brilliant

Steve

Re: Revolver 4 years 2 weeks ago #36949

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
I finished this last night. I was pretty interesting and kept me thinking about it in between reading sessions. Matt Kindt is obviously not the greatest artist but is is a fantastic "cinematographer" of panel layouts and the story was top notch.

4.5/5

Re: Revolver 4 years 2 weeks ago #36955

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I shall read this tomorrow, since I'll have the first half day off in weeks :)
At a first glance, the artwork is kinda off-putting, but I'll gladly give it a chance!
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Revolver 4 years 1 week ago #36975

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Think of the artwork as minimalistic... it doesnt detract from the superb writing....

Re: Revolver 4 years 1 week ago #36981

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
startreksteve wrote:
Think of the artwork as minimalistic... it doesnt detract from the superb writing....

yeah I see what you mean. I'm about 3/4 into the book, and I must admit it would have been a pity to skip it because of the artwork. I'm actually starting to like the style within this context, I think it goes a long way in creating the right atmosphere :)
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Revolver 4 years 1 week ago #36986

• 600WPMPO
Host Review

I just finished it. Yes, this was the first book posted by me in the reading club which I hadn't already read. I always wanted to read it ever since I read the preview a few years back.

The premise of the book is very interesting. Sleep in one reality & wake up in other, alternating (or 'revolving') between the mundane & the apocalyptic. And, in the end, the protagonist has to choose one. Which one does he choose? In such a situation, I would have done what Verve had done, trash my grievances on one world & use that to my advantage in the other, and enjoy them both. But the protagonist chooses to be a hero & kills the only constant in both worlds. Does he end the two realities in the end? I'm not sure. But, whatever action he takes leaves me unsatisfied. I'll even say the end was somewhat forced on.

All that said, compare this book to the regular crap of comics we see these days & you'll find it an extremely interesting, original & entertaining book. It focusses on the worthlessness of everything, and how we treasure our sweet nothings when death & destruction could be right around the corner. So, "live!", it says to me. I don't know how you guys interpret it, but I'd love to see some discussion on this.

The art is purposefully sketchy & suits the story. It is largely blue & brown (not black & white), and i'm sure if it had colours, it would have been quite distracting. The way the page numbers are shown is highly intuitive.

People say that Matt Kindt's Super Spy is his best book. I think I shall put it on the club someday & read it with y'all. :-)

My rating: 4.5/5 (If it's 4 or more, means I'll read it at least once more before I die)

Last Edit: 4 years 1 week ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Revolver 4 years 1 week ago #36987

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
Just finished reading this myself.
I have to say, it's a lot better than I expected.
As I already said, the artwork, which had initially put me off the idea of reading the book, turned out to be complementary to the storytelling, and was actually very pleasant in the end.
I found myself a bit "bored" around 3/4 in, almost as if the story had lost track. We knew what why when where etc, but it felt like the story needed some "filler" moments.
Once you get where the author is going with it, you start to anticipate the outcome, and a number of possibilities come to mind. The one we are shown is probably a bit clichèd, it makes me feel like the book ends "the way it should" - not necessarily in the most interesting way (for me, at least).

Having said that, it's definitely in the "enjoyed" pile of comics that have appeared here.

4/5 (would have been higher if not for the "filler" pages and the "predictable" ending)
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Revolver 4 years 1 week ago #36989

• 600WPMPO
@kenjio: What is the significance of that scene towards the end, where the doctor asks if Sam had underwent any trauma lately, & we see him getting hit on the head outside the bar? Was the alternate reality all a psychiatric experience for him?

And why did he decide to kill Verve in both the worlds? I couldn't understand that, too. :unsure:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.429 seconds

Who's Online

We have 194 guests and 11 members online