Total number of voters: 6 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: [2014-08] The Royals: Masters of War

[2014-08] The Royals: Masters of War 3 years 2 months ago #40345

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Reflections of the Series
Overall I enjoyed this mini-series, and enjoyed reviewing it. It does address some interesting themes, all be it a little bit casually. The overall tone was good for a super hero comic but occasionally off the mark for a war comic. It really needed to take a little more time grounding some of its war centric themes into the historic ones if it wanted to actually drive home its overall message.

The central idea of a conflicted House of Windsor with super powers is brilliant, and the most obvious thread to pull on for added nuance would be the Russian Revolution, with the very close family ties between the Romanovs and the Windsors. It just seems to water down the whole idea to start exploring aristocracy in America and Imperial power in Japan.

The unmentioned elephant in the room is the Royal House of David, which would have made for a very interesting way to address the Jewish plight if the writers had felt up to it. (I’m guessing not, given the tiny reference to their plight.)

So much of the war was mentioned in passing and you didn’t feel any human investment in terms of actual character cost. I think the story was good enough to properly explore these themes, but in six issues, especially with two in the Pacific, it just isn’t possible to do the potential full justice.

I would say this is well worth reading, but possibly not worth the investment of a brand new graphic novel copy. I would recommend borrowing it or picking it up if you see it second hand.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by jkthemac.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

[2014-08] The Royals: Masters of War 3 years 2 months ago #40347

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
jkthemac wrote:
I would say this is well worth reading, but possibly not worth the investment of a brand new graphic novel copy. I would recommend borrowing it or picking it up if you see it second hand.
Thanks for your detailed reviews. Your average score comes out to be 3.5 (21/6). Quite in sync with old man Steve's 3.5, and my 3.25, which means that the book is above average (3/5), but falls short of being reread-able (4/5).

Would you like to host the next month's reading club (begins 1st September)?
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by 600WPMPO.

[2014-08] The Royals: Masters of War 3 years 2 months ago #40348

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
I would probably give the series an overall 4 rather than an averaged out 3.5. It is definitely worth rereading. Plus I did reread it to review it and I got a lot more out of it second time so it does reward a reread.

As to hosting next month, does that basically mean I get to choose the book? And how soon would that need to be notified?

[2014-08] The Royals: Masters of War 3 years 2 months ago #40350

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
jkthemac wrote:
As to hosting next month, does that basically mean I get to choose the book? And how soon would that need to be notified?
Yes, you get to choose your book (basic guidelines are here) & create a new thread on the 1st of next month (September). Have a look at the current reading club thread to see how to format the information regarding your book. And don't forget to put up a poll when you create your post. Feel free to PM me in case any help is needed.

p.s. Also, you don't need to propose (or take permission) before posting the thread. Keep it a secret. Unveil it on the 1st of next month. best of luck. :-)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by 600WPMPO.

[2014-08] The Royals: Masters of War 3 years 2 months ago #40413

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I'm going to have to be the party pooper here.
Tried it, didn't like it.
There was nothing of this that really got me hooked.
I'm not into war stories, so no surprise there. I didn't find the dialogue or the art good enough to justify reading beyond the first issue.
Just not my kind of book, but thanks for the suggestion, looking forward to the next title :)
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds

Who's Online

We have 235 guests and 3 members online