Artist(s):Nate Bellegarde, Jordie Bellair
Genre:Alternative Superhero
ISBN:978-1607066910
Where to purchase?:Amazon
Read by:November 30, 2014
Host Rating:coming soon
Community Rating:4.2/5
Published:2012-2013
Host Review:I'll read this with you all & review it here, issue by issue.
Next Host:to-be-announced

Book Description:
"SCIENCE IS THE NEW ROCK 'N' ROLL!" So said Dade Ellis, Simon Grimshaw, Emerson Strange, and Thomas Walker at the dawn of a new age of enlightenment that ushered in a boom in scientific advancement. As the research supergroup World Corp., they became the most celebrated scientists of all time. They changed the world - and we loved them for it. But where did it all go wrong? And when progress is made at any and all cost, who ultimately pays the price? Collects Nowhere Men #1-6. ''When a writer-artist team is truly clicking, something magical can happen, and it does here. Mr. Stephenson and Mr. Bellegarde juggle multiple characters and locations - in geography and in time - yet personalities and appearances remain distinct. The creative team has also supplied realistic ephemera - personal letters, magazine covers and interviews, World Corp. logos and advertisements - that enrich the experience and fill-in the back story. "Nowhere Men" has a lot to absorb, and that's most welcome at a time when some comic books take only minutes to read.'' - The New York Times

From Weekly Crisis:
Stephenson has written a fictional world that I could believe was real in this day and age, with Bellegarde and Bellaire breathing air into work and making it even more real. If I could compare it to anything, I would say its a modern day Watchmen.
From IGN:
Nowhere Men has done a steady climb in quality with each issue. This month, it finally hits its stride and becomes a must read comic book. It has gone from good to great to holy-crap-buy-this-book. With each issue, we are told science is the new rock n' roll and now, I'm inclined to believe it. The writing is tight, the colors are popping, and the art is fantastic. Nowhere Men is a comic book that should be bought, read, and shared. Do it, people.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: added poll
The administrator has disabled public write access.

[2014-11] Nowhere Men 2 years 9 months ago #41009

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Read them all today. Will look forward to see the comments/discussion

[2014-11] Nowhere Men 2 years 9 months ago #41010

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Grabbed the Trade, looks promising :D
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

[2014-11] Nowhere Men 2 years 9 months ago #41012

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
rmagere wrote:
Read them all today. Will look forward to see the comments/discussion
Why not write a few words (spoiler-free) about your views on the book? We will join in as we read the book up. ;)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by 600WPMPO.

[2014-11] Nowhere Men 2 years 9 months ago #41014

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
600WPMPO wrote:
Why not write a few words (spoiler-free) about your views on the book? We will join in as we read the book up. ;)

I wanted to write something, but then it felt like a spoiler and edited down to my original message :P ;)

[2014-11] Nowhere Men 2 years 9 months ago #41132

• Kurt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Before reading, my expectations/thoughts going in: Not much. I've heard of this series as it came out, but reading the description from Previews did nothing for me, but later after several issues released, it garnered good reviews, and seeing it as the month's book club read, decided to give it a shot.

Issue 1:

Cover: Rather dull. At the end of the issue I realize who the 4 men are that make up the face of the man on the front, but my initial thought was an incredibly boring cover. With no knowledge of it getting such good reviews, I would never pick it up off the shelf.

Story/Writing: I enjoy how the story is split into 3 separate time frames – I see this series getting more in depth as we continue to learn secrets from each time period. I particularly enjoyed “The Science Chronicle” magazine spread from the past that introduces our 4 main characters from World Corp (symbol reminds me of Time Warner's logo – allusion?). I found myself flipping back to that page to get a sense of these men. I found the personalities strongly reflect the “interviews” - for example, Simon is a cut-throat businessman with only child syndrome who doesn't know how to loosen up (no favorite song/doesn't drink). The present day portion of the book had me intrigued with the mystery of the illness and the cliffhanger reveal on the final page. I don't have a real sense of the people on board yet and hope for further character development in the coming issues – too many people were introduced in only a few pages. The back material was great as we learned a great deal about Thomas, and led to my excitement to see what happened with the forming and inevitable personality conflicts between the men of World Corp.

Art: This is a very dialogue heavy issue, so attention to conveying emotions through body language and facial gestures are important. I think Bellegarde and Bellaire did a phenomenal job keeping me intrigued with very little action going on. Simon's sneer, Dade's aggressive posturing, and Emerson's cool were all great visual clues to better understanding these men. There was some great facial and body language clues in the present day material, but I don't have as great a grasp on their characters, yet. The use of establishing shots with wide, medium, and close-ups was also well done – I particularly liked the cityscape establishing shot and Simon's close up sneer.

Overall: I'm glad I read it, and look forward to what the rest of the series brings. I feel this is a very strong foundation issue, and I can't tell if it will be worth re-reading until I read more. For now, I give it a 4/5.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

[2014-11] Nowhere Men 2 years 8 months ago #41240

• Kurt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Sorry for the late reply guys - work and Thanksgiving got in the way, but I've finished the rest of Nowhere Men. I'll just give my final thoughts.

Covers: Again, nothing exciting about these. I like the idea of them being consistent, but they definitely don't wow me.

Art: If anything, the art just got better, in my opinion. More happened in the background, different locations, and the use of different angles (establishing, wide, medium, and close-ups) were done very well. Once again, the expressions on faces and body language was very effective (even Kurt after transforming - side note: yay for a character named Kurt, it's pretty rare. :cheer: ) Action scenes definitely had a sense of movement, and the coloring is spot on (which I discovered Bellaire won an Eisner award for - rightly so!)

Story/Writing: Really loving this story. It's a shame that the second arc is delayed. I hope it gets finished at some point as there are still many questions unanswered. It progresses nicely - answering questions slowly, but not so slow that I lost my attention. I find the back material and "ads" a great touch. I have a feeling Thomas Walker will be introduced in the next arc (at least I hope so).

Overall: I'm wanting more. This may sound cliche, but it has a Watchmen feel to it - probably more than any other story I've read. From the back material to the exploration of different characters to the different mysteries, it has the same intrigue that I felt the first time I read Watchmen. I can't say if it's more/less effective until I get the next story arc. I've done some Google searching and haven't hit anything significant about the second arc except "it's in the works," but it's been a year since the last issue. I hope we get more of this story - I don't want cliffhangers without any resolution!

Even without some resolution, though, it's a lot better than some stuff I read. I'll continue to give the series a 4 out of 5 for now, with potential of going higher based on more issues.

[2014-11] Nowhere Men 2 years 8 months ago #41242

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
Holy crap, completely forgot about this...
Damn, I'm getting senile...
Will catch up ASAP
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

[2014-11] Nowhere Men 2 years 8 months ago #41289

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
First issue down, I must say.. meh
I found it hard to relate to any of the characters, and to care for them.
The dialogue isn't particularly intriguing, and I'm not too keen on the artwork, either.

The premise of the story is interesting, so I'll keep reading to see how it develops, but for some reason, it's just not hitting the right nerves, for now.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

[2014-11] Nowhere Men 2 years 8 months ago #41301

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
Issue 2 down, and it's getting better.
The dialogue is still a bit iffy in places, but I preferred the pacing here.
Not once did I skip ahead thinking "when will this be over?".
I'm looking forward to the rest a little bit more, now.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Who's Online

We have 223 guests and 2 members online