Welcome, Guest
General Discussions about ComicRack for iOS

TOPIC: What's the second best comic reader for iOS?

What's the second best comic reader for iOS? 4 months 6 days ago #47964

• Moondoggie
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm tired of CRiOS crashing when I'm trying to read most of my comics and would like to eventually be able to upgrade my iOS without the fear of losing even the limited functionality I currently have. Since it's overwhelmingly obvious that we're not going to be getting any kind of updates, what has everyone else been switching to? I've seen occasional mentions of Chunky Reader - is that the current best reader, or have any of you found something better?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What's the second best comic reader for iOS? 4 months 2 days ago #47977

• StudioNeuneu
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I use Chunky Reader. I like very much.
I use it with Ubooquity. I don't need to download the comics to read it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moondoggie

What's the second best comic reader for iOS? 4 months 2 days ago #47979

• spynotebook
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
This is what I am doing. I use ComicRack to tag and sort the comics into folders. The newest Ubooquity actually shows the issue # instead of title when shared to Chunky. So, this will be my setup when iOS11 comes out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moondoggie

What's the second best comic reader for iOS? 4 months 2 days ago #47981

• Moondoggie
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks guys! I saw Ubooquity as an option, but haven't looked into it yet. I'm getting the hang of Chunky after figuring out how to get my comics on there through Dropbox. I'll install Ubooquity and give it a shot.

What's the second best comic reader for iOS? 4 months 2 days ago #47982

• spynotebook
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
If anyone has any suggestions now to replicate smart lists in ubooquity/chunky, that would be great. I guess I can use Library Organizer to physically move files around for easy downloading, but that seems like a way to mess things up.

What's the second best comic reader for iOS? 4 months 20 hours ago #47997

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
For me Comic Glass is still the best option, but isn't ideal.

I have taken a look at Chunky, but right now it isn't my ideal reader because I don't want to run a server when I already have a NAS box serving my files. Surely the whole point of a NAS is the ability to access your files without needing a PC running other software.

Correct me if I am wrong, but unless I run some additional server software I can't stream directly from a share like I can with Comic Glass. In Comic Glass I navigate to the folder using SMB, select the file, and can stream directly. There is no need for a seperate server like Ubooquity, which seems an unnecessary addition. (I don't use the Comic Glass media server either.)

Chunky is really good for its ability to recognise the Comicvine reference, which makes it much better if I download books than Comic Glass, but my ideal reader would allow me to bookmark folders on my NAS and view those folders as if they were already in my library, then allow me to stream them.

This is almost possible in Comic Glass, where I can make folders that show up on the default view, and when clicked takes me to the file list and allows me to stream those files.

Comic Glass works great with remote access to my files via FTP, but in that case they are download only, which is a shame. I imagine Chunky would be much the same with remote FTP but I haven't field tested it.
Last Edit: 4 months 18 hours ago by jkthemac.

What's the second best comic reader for iOS? 4 months 18 hours ago #47998

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
spynotebook wrote:
If anyone has any suggestions now to replicate smart lists in ubooquity/chunky, that would be great. I guess I can use Library Organizer to physically move files around for easy downloading, but that seems like a way to mess things up.

I am not an expert but this may be something you could use OPDS for. Theoretically that is a feed based syndication system, similar to RSS, that allows you to add and order specific files that don't need to be in the same folder. (Maybe worth investigating.)

Having said this, I don't see a current way to implement manual OPDS feeds, it just creates the three basic feeds that you see when you go to 'yourip:yourport/opds-comics'. I imagine more sophisticated options may be available in the future.
Last Edit: 4 months 17 hours ago by jkthemac.

What's the second best comic reader for iOS? 4 months 16 hours ago #47999

• Ressiv
  • Fresh Boarder
Slightly off topic, but possibly of some use to others in the context of how to read comics in CR on your iPad: I have a 9.7 iPad and have had some success with using Parallels Access as a means of accessing my comics through the existing desktop CR application. In this context, I have access to everything that is excellent about the full CR application and do not have to download or sync the comics, but simply view them directly. PA makes this quite seamless and I have found it to be quite effective. I mostly read in landscape mode, where the larger iPad would be easier on my eyes, but compared to the alternatives at this point, it is my preferred strategy. I have found the tradeoff for not having to pre-select comics for synchronization, or navigate a large set of Windows folders, or run another 'comic' service on my PC (Note that PA does run it's own connection service), or manually mark comics as 'read' to be an overall lower overhead method that actually works nicely. Of course if the CR app were to magically work in iOS 11, I'd be much happier!

What's the second best comic reader for iOS? 4 months 16 hours ago #48000

• StudioNeuneu
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I use ubooquity with Docker on my nas.

What's the second best comic reader for iOS? 4 months 15 hours ago #48001

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes some NAS boxes will let you run Java. The majority don't do this, and mine can't. Even if it did I don't see what the point of using Chunky would be. I may as well use Safari (or a browser with full screen mode) to view them unless I can actually stream the comics from within the app itself (ie view the metadata in the app as if they were running in the app.)

Especially when I can using Comic Glass without a dedicated media server running elsewhere.

The advantage of using Chunky with Ubooquity is that the streaming is quicker and more intuitive. It is marginally quicker at serving comics than using SMB in ComicGlass, but it is not significantly better than a web-browser, because the metadata isn't being utilised unless I download the files.

I am guessing, that lots of functionality could be added by using themes, but again this is despite the viewer one chooses.
Last Edit: 4 months 15 hours ago by jkthemac.
Moderators: crios
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Who's Online

We have 192 guests and 3 members online