TOPIC: How sync works in CRIOS

How sync works in CRIOS 4 years 7 months ago #29904

• crios
  • Thank you received: 80
These are the requirements for sync:
=======================
* ComicRack Win
* ComicRack iOS
* WI-FI connection on your iOS device (not USB, not Internet/3G)

Before trying to sync:
=============
* make sure that WI-FI is turned on on your iOS device and you are connected to a network
* make sure that the computer where CRWIN is running is allowing incoming (or inbound) UDP on port 7615

First step is to pair CRIOS with CRWIN
=======================
When CRIOS is running, it is constantly (every 10secs) sending UDP packets to the connected (WI-FI) network on port 7615. CRWIN is receiving those UDP packets (see below for reasons where this may go wrong).
To pair, open the "Edit" menu in CRWIN on click on "Devices...". A dialog window appears and in the lower left corner of that dialog, you need to click on "Pair with Device...". CRWIN then verifies if it can sync with your device by exchanging some data with your device. After a moment, another dialog window appears, where (hopefully ;) ) your device is listed. Select your device from the list and click "OK". Now you can select the lists that you want to sync. When done, click "OK".

Second step is to initiate the sync
=====================
You can either initiate the sync from CRWIN or from CRIOS. The end-result should be same, regardless from where you started the sync.
To start the sync from CRWIN, click on the "File" menu and then click on "Synchronize Devices".
To start the sync from CRIOS, tap on the gear-symbol in the lower right corner, then tap on "Synchronize Now". When the "Synchronize Now" button is not enabled (greyed out), then you are not connected to a WI-FI network or the internal network-code of CRIOS encountered an error.

While the sync is running
===============
In CRWIN an animated icon is displayed in the status bar at the bottom.
In CRIOS, the gear-symbol is animated (rotating). When you tap on it, you see a progress bar, the name of the comic that is currently synced and an abort button. When you tap on the abort button, the sync of the current comic is finished, after that the sync ends.

When you have problems
================
If you have problems with sync, these might be causing it:

* the computer where CRWIN is running is not allowing inbound UDP packets on port 7615
* your iOS device has WI-FI disabled or is not connected to a WI-FI network
* your router may block or discard the UDP packets sent from CRIOS

Then you can try one or more of the following:

* try unpairing your device in CRIOS and pair it again
* terminate and restart CRIOS (double tap home button, tap and hold CRIOS icon, then tap on the "x")
* verify that the computer where CRWIN is running is allowing inbound UDP packets on port 7615
* verify that your router is not blocking UDP packets on port 7615
* verify that your antivirus program is not preventing CRWIN from sending/receiving data to/from the network

Please post if you have more suggestions, tips, etc.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: How sync works in CRIOS 4 years 7 months ago #29976

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
crios wrote:
* make sure that the computer where CRWIN is running is allowing incoming (or inbound) UDP on port 7615
I'm stuck at this step. :(

I know that this is my router's fault & not that of CRiOS...

I've tried every trick in the book, but couldn't get my Router to forward the ports. Not only port 7615, it doesn't even forward ports for applications like uTorrent or Dc++. This is a Nokia-Siemens Residential Router 1600.

Here is what I know about port forwarding:

Option 1) (Easiest) Configure your modem in bridge mode. All ports are forwarded by default.

Option 2) (Medium) Assign a static IP to your desktop/laptop. In the modem setup, go to 'Advanced' options and select NAT/DMZ. Enter the above IP address (of the PC) in NAT/DMZ.

Option 3) (Hardest) Assign a static IP to your desktop/laptop. In the modem setup, go to port forward option. Enter the IP address that is given to desktop/laptop. Enter the port number that you wish to forward.

I don't want to go into bridging mode, because I'll have to manually dial eveytime I switch on my PC.

As for a static IP, I got this & then tried DMZ:

DMZ didn't work. I tried manual port forwarding, but this also didn't help:

Obviously I had my Firewall opened for ComicRack. Even with disabling my firewall,I couldn't open the ports.

So, all my efforts end into this:

I've ordered a new modem, which I'll be getting in a few days & will then report back. This is the new one I'll be getting:
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300Mbps ADSL2+ Wireless with Modem Router

I'd really appreciate if people here can help me port forward, or even suggest me what brands of modems/routers they use, so I can have a better idea as to what really works...:unsure:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: How sync works in CRIOS 4 years 7 months ago #29980

• mizio66
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Started reading comics at 4... and still counting!
  • Thank you received: 143

I think you know and did more than the average Joe... anyhow the DMZ/port fw, etc. are normally required only for the WAN access (from the internet), not for a LAN (local). Port forwarding is used when an external connection is coming into your network (with no idea of which device it should reach) and you 'explain' this connection that if it's trying to reach port 1234 then the device is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. In this case, you know exactly that you are trying to reach 192.168.1.10, so the P.FW is not needed.

On my PC I have no setup for port 7615 or else... But, as I am not a system engineer, I may be wrong!

One suggestion I can give is NOT to use Windows to set the IP, but the router.

In the menu you posted I see a LAN section. There, through the MAC address of your PC, you should be able to set the IP address of the PC and the iPad (and whichever Wireless device you may have). It's pretty easy: you assign to each MAC (the address in the form of xx:xx:xx:xx) an IP. Then clean the windows setup you did. This won't probably solve the problem, but it is surely better.

Then, I'd suggest to make a test: save your router configuration and then reset it to the factory settings. Then start reconfigure it slowly... in any case you can still reload the original config.

Also, you have ZoneAlarm... i heard of many issue with that... and consider that you also may have Windows FW active (did you check that?): be sure not to overkill the whole thing! Try to disable temporarily ZA and Windows FW COMPLETELY and test again. Then also disable temporarily any antivirus you may have and test. There is no such exact science (yes, maybe, but sometimes too many parameters to be such) and the trial and error remains the only solution.

Maybe some system network admin on the forum can be more precise and skilled than I am...

Suerte, amigo.

M

Re: How sync works in CRIOS 4 years 7 months ago #29981

• 600WPMPO
Thanks mizio for all the good suggestions. I'll try them & report back. A thankful +1 karma for you.. :-)

I use ESET smart security. Windows firewall is turned off. Windows defender is turned off. I even tried temporarily disabling ESET firewall, but nothing worked.

My ISP gives me a dynamic IP. Port forwarding requires that you give your machine a static IP. But, as you said port forwarding is not needed here. I'll definitely try assigning an IP via the MAC address & hope it works.

Any other suggestions are most welcome..

Re: How sync works in CRIOS 4 years 7 months ago #29982

• mizio66
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Started reading comics at 4... and still counting!
  • Thank you received: 143
You can use a service like a dynamic IP, make a search, there are free one...

I used to use dyndns.org, but is not free anymore for new users, but there are others available. This service allows you to have always a sort of static IP. Some routers can connect to the service, once subscribed, automatically. This Nokia I think it cannot, your new one looks like it will be able.
In a few words, you will have an internet address like 600wpmpo.dyndnsservice.com. This address will be refreshed to point to your current dynamic IP by the router. So, if you will try to ping it, it will report back your current IP address (external one).
This way you would be able, e.g, to access your PC (with some port forwarding tricks) from outside your home, to access CR server, a wifi cam, your FTP NAS or else...

let me know when you have the new router, we can chat or do a Teamviewer session if needed!

ciao,

M

Re: How sync works in CRIOS 4 years 7 months ago #29985

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I am also stuck here... I can`t get my ipad paired with CRW. I have tried from three different pc's within my LAN to no avail. However other services based in bonjour/zero-conf work out of the box, like itunes wifi sync or xbmc discovery... So any help is greatly appreciated. As mio said, I do not see a reason why my router would need opening ports, but I did just in case... :unsure: :unsure:
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by perezmu.

Re: How sync works in CRIOS 4 years 7 months ago #29986

• 600WPMPO
mizio66 wrote:
..I used to use dyndns.org, but is not free anymore for new users, but there are others available....we can chat or do a Teamviewer session if needed!
Looking forward to it! If this works, or if I find this useful, I don't mind giving dyndys.org $20 a year for the service. :)
perezmu wrote:
...other services based in bonjour/zero-conf work out of the box, like itunes wifi sync or xbmc discovery...
My sentiments exactly. Users (like me & perezmu) of predominantly Apple devices are so spoilt that Windows (and Android, for that matter) easily frustrates them! :P

Re: How sync works in CRIOS 4 years 7 months ago #29987

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
600WPMPO wrote:
My sentiments exactly. Users (like me & perezmu) of predominantly Apple devices are so spoilt that Windows (and Android, for that matter) easily frustrates them! :P

Well, I was refering to itunes wifi sync and xbmc working OK on windows too!

Re: How sync works in CRIOS 4 years 7 months ago #29990

Did anyone try shutting down their Firewall like I suggested?

Re: How sync works in CRIOS 4 years 7 months ago #29992

• 600WPMPO
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
Did anyone try shutting down their Firewall like I suggested?
I tried, but doesn't make any difference..

mizio66 wrote:
One suggestion I can give is NOT to use Windows to set the IP, but the router.

In the menu you posted I see a LAN section. There, through the MAC address of your PC, you should be able to set the IP address of the PC and the iPad (and whichever Wireless device you may have). It's pretty easy: you assign to each MAC (the address in the form of xx:xx:xx:xx) an IP. Then clean the windows setup you did. This won't probably solve the problem, but it is surely better.
I tried the MAC address IP trick, but it too is not helping..:unsure:

By the way, the setup is fine, as we can see that the iPad is getting the IP (192.168.1.20)we assigned..

Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.
Moderators: crios
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds

Who's Online

We have 367 guests and 3 members online