Welcome, Guest
Discussion about the current prerelease (non market) version of ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: What do you sync?

What do you sync? 4 years 7 months ago #30073

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Yes... really, here I would invite all the beta-testers to tell us what they think are the best ways to sync what should be read. :)

Do you make one huge list of books that have to be synced?

Or do you sync multiple lists?

And what if a book is not on any particular list? What do you do then?

What are the options that you choose in the sync dialog and why?

Do you use the 'limit' option while syncing? Do you get predictable results using this option? (as in, if a list is limited to the first 50 books, and you read 10 of them & sync back, do you get the next 10 books?)

Any tips on the best syncing practices for noobs like us?
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What do you sync? 4 years 7 months ago #30079

I sync multiple lists, but that's based more off of my use of CRWIn and not wanting to make queries too convoluted.

I also keep multiple "hard" lists to reflect the directory-based collections I have, so I syn multiple of those, too, even though they may be smallish

I don't use the Limit option, but that's because I think it's a better practice to intelligently limit lists in the CRWIN query. For instance, I use smartlist limits where Read Percent is Less than 100, so CRWIN always reflects what I've read in CRIOS. This also allows me to avoid the "Only Unread" option when syncing to pull more cleanly.

When syncing ordered hard lists, make sure you uncheck the "Sort By" option. When you open the list in CRIOS, sort by "None" and it will retain your manual order
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by DouglasBubbletrousers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: What do you sync? 4 years 7 months ago #30081

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
I have lots of reading lists limited to usually 10 unread books. I always check "keep last" read so I know where I am if I take up a series again.

This way I have enough to read on my device for on the way and just have to hit refresh to remove the read ones and pull in some new unread when at home.

Of course this experience is based on CRA.

Re: What do you sync? 4 years 7 months ago #30082

• 600WPMPO
@cYo: and what is the best way to determine the order in which the next 10 books are pulled? I'm curious, because I'm new to this. :unsure:

Re: What do you sync? 4 years 7 months ago #30085

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Usually "published" if well scraped or for single series lists "series" also works.

Re: What do you sync? 4 years 7 months ago #30120

• Juan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
This is how I sync, after a year or so of using the Android version. Maybe it'll be useful, depending on how you use lists.

I started by making a giant list of the series I wanted to read at the time. There's a few different ways to set up a list like this (I personally use Series Groups).

A quick method is to make a smart list matching any series with a read percentage between 0% and 100%. This gives you a list of all the series you've started but haven't finished yet.
Match [Series: Percent Read] in range "1" "99"
When I first started out syncing, I would store this entire list on my tablet, which ended up being several hundred (or thousand) issues, and way too many gigabytes. Then I realized that there was no reason to store so many issues when it'd be days or weeks until I got around to reading them. Instead I changed to the following.

In the device sync options, check:
Sort by Series
Limit to (a number equal to or higher than the amount of individual series)
Only Unread

This grabs the lowest unread issue from each series. Then, it goes back and adds the next unread issue from each series until it reaches the limit, and the sync is complete.

Thus, you only store the issues you'll actually read in the near future. When you run out, just sync and it'll replace them with the next unread issues. You'll always have something fresh and current to read, without eating up all your storage.
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Juan.

Re: What do you sync? 4 years 7 months ago #30125

• 600WPMPO
Juan wrote:
In the device sync options, check:
Sort by Series
Limit to (a number equal to or higher than the amount of individual series)
Only Unread

This grabs the lowest unread issue from each series. Then, it goes back and adds the next unread issue from each series until it reaches the limit, and the sync is complete.

Thus, you only store the issues you'll actually read in the near future. When you run out, just sync and it'll replace them with the next unread issues. You'll always have something fresh and current to read, without eating up all your storage.
This was very helpful! Thanks a lot.. :)
cYo wrote:
I always check "keep last" read so I know where I am if I take up a series again.
I never knew about this very nice feature... :)

So, I have made this setup for the sync.

I add the tags 'Pull-list' to the books I want to read (I use Stonepaw's script for this) & then, for the sake of simplicity, I gather these books via 3 lists, publisher-wise (DC. Marvel, Indie). I limit these to 50 each.

And I add a 'Priority Pull-list' that contains hand-picked books (5-6 series max). I do not limit the priority pull list, so that I can read my favorite books at a go.

But, one thing's on my mind. I wish to know what happens in the sync when a book is in many lists? :unsure:

Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: What do you sync? 4 years 7 months ago #30128

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I have my library organized by folders for Publishers, Sub-folders for some characters (Batman, Spider-Man) and smartlists to pull new issues.

I then sync the unread (keeping last read) lists that I'm interested in (I have a few regular series that I want to read as soon as the new issue is out)

For other series, I prefer to read 3-4 issues at a time (usually short story arcs), so I only occasionally sync them (depending on the number of unread issues)

I usually like to read big story arcs in one go, so I create manual list for big crossovers and arcs, like the recent Death of the Family, and sync all issues (read and unread) and keep them on my tablet until the arc is over.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: What do you sync? 4 years 7 months ago #30133

• 600WPMPO
What does this option do? :unsure:

Re: What do you sync? 4 years 7 months ago #30134

600WPMPO wrote:
But, one thing's on my mind. I wish to know what happens in the sync when a book is in many lists? :unsure:

That's the brilliant thing about logical structures on physical files... it's moved once and tracked in several different lists. The read percentage is kept across all the lists (since it's the same book), so if you finish reading it in one it will be read in all
  • Page:
Moderators: crios
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Who's Online

We have 249 guests and one member online