Welcome, Guest
Discussion about the current prerelease (non market) version of ComicRack

TOPIC: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.16 Beta

ComicRack for iOS 0.9.16 Beta 5 years 8 months ago #30678

• crios
  • Thank you received: 80
## ComicRack 0.9.16 - March 10, 2013

* Remove notification in reader view when navigation to another page in the same comic.
* Added option to crop the borders of pages.
* Added option to adjust the background color of the reader view to the current page.
* Fixed animation when opening comic from library view or closing comic from reader view when device is in landscape orientation.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.16 Beta 5 years 8 months ago #30696

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 560
crios wrote:
## ComicRack 0.9.16 - March 10, 2013

* Remove notification in reader view when navigation to another page in the same comic.
* Added option to crop the borders of pages.
* Added option to adjust the background color of the reader view to the current page.
* Fixed animation when opening comic from library view or closing comic from reader view when device is in landscape orientation.
Thanks for the new version. I specially like the way the background color in the reader now adjusts to the current page. :-)

As for cropping the borders, can you please tell in which scenarios will this be useful?

The UI of The reader view of CRiOS has very little space on the top panel. Compare this to the excellent design of ComicZeal, where we get the title of the book & the page counts. The bottom has a floating menu, where we get all the in-reader settings.

I feel that we should 'liberate' the top panel of the reader, by just putting a gear at its far end, which, when tapped, will reveal the in-reader settings (color correction, single/dual page, orientation lock etc). Even the currently introduced background color can be out here.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.16 Beta 5 years 8 months ago #30712

• Juan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Cropping the borders is similar to the "fit visible" option in a PDF viewer. Even a 10" tablet screen is smaller than a physical comic page, so this setting tries to get rid of the empty margins.

This usually allows the panels to fit the screen better, so you don't have to squint as much in the full page portrait view.

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.16 Beta 5 years 8 months ago #30728

600WPMPO wrote:
I feel that we should 'liberate' the top panel of the reader, by just putting a gear at its far end, which, when tapped, will reveal the in-reader settings (color correction, single/dual page, orientation lock etc). Even the currently introduced background color can be out here.

I was just about to suggest something like this. The main issue I have is we can't read the full caption, especially when it includes the title. I kept checking to see what issue number I was looking reading but the lack of space couldn't fit it. Also, maybe a dynamic font size would help, too

The second suggestion I have is to add the issue number to the info pop up as it's currently missing :)

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.16 Beta 5 years 8 months ago #30732

• 600WPMPO
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:

I was just about to suggest something like this. The main issue I have is we can't read the full caption, especially when it includes the title. I kept checking to see what issue number I was looking reading but the lack of space couldn't fit it. Also, maybe a dynamic font size would help, too

The second suggestion I have is to add the issue number to the info pop up as it's currently missing :)
....and to add to all this, I think the caption should have first the series name (& volume), then the issue number, and only thereafter the title (if at all), given the space constraints of a hand-held device.

This would read better: e.g. "Batman v2011 #17 - Death of the family" than the current "Batman v2011 - Death of the family #17".

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.16 Beta 5 years 8 months ago #30752

• 600WPMPO
A bug (if I may call it so):

Turning on the background color is affecting the performance. Moving on to the next page takes more than twice the time with background color turned on. If I turn it off, things go back to normal.

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.16 Beta 5 years 8 months ago #30754

• crios
  • Thank you received: 80
I'm aware of the performance hit when removing borders and/or background color. I'm currently trying to improve that for the next build.

Thanks, and keep on testing!

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.16 Beta 5 years 8 months ago #30806

Here's where my sync stands now:
*I can only sync when the iPad is tethered via USB. Wifi still needs to be on
*Syncing sometimes does nothing. When this occurs, I restart CRWIN and it works the next time. Again, still needs to be tethered via USB

This instability is the only major problem I have right now. The app works great in general. IMHO, if the sync can be stabilized and made more reliable, the app could be released with confidence.

The few minor bugs/issues I have are as above: missing issue # from Info popup, poorly laid out "header" (in other words caption doesn't fit and is basically useless because of it) and poor performance with adaptive background color on.

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.16 Beta 5 years 8 months ago #30808

• 600WPMPO
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
...if the sync can be stabilized and made more reliable, the app could be released with confidence.

The few minor bugs/issues I have are as above: missing issue # from Info popup, poorly laid out "header" (in other words caption doesn't fit and is basically useless because of it) and poor performance with adaptive background color on.
To this, I'd like to add the existing bugs/unfinished-features:
600WPMPO wrote:
- Search is not working at all (? Unfinished feature)

- Hold any grouping criteria (preferably the bottom most) & drag it down (yes, down) to the lower border of the menu, and you can get the upper border cut off. You can bring it back to normal by holding the top-most grouping bar & slightly dragging it down just a little bit.

The review box, if filled with a large amount of text, gets covered with the keyboard.

I'm still not convinced with the way the 'Recently Opened' list works. Please see below in the screenshot, where it says that I have opened 204 books lately (which I DID NOT). But the read slider at the bottom of each thumbnail is empty. If the book would have been opened, that slider would be (at least partly) green, wouldn't it? :unsure:

Moderators: crios
Time to create page: 0.431 seconds

Who's Online

We have 177 guests and one member online