Welcome, Guest
Discussion about the current prerelease (non market) version of ComicRack

TOPIC: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.25 Beta

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.25 Beta 4 years 6 months ago #32236

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
Noticeable clunky animation when returning to library from reader
Yes, I was also about to post the same thing, albeit instead of 'clunky', I was going to use the word 'jarring'. ;)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The topic has been locked.

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.25 Beta 4 years 6 months ago #32238

I like the reading filter but I have a small quibble. We have Read, Unread and Reading. But if I have it set to Unread, then switch lists then come back, I can't see the Reading books. Can we get an option for Not Complete or something to include all Unread AND Reading books?

Also, I think there should be an " (filtered to Unread)" or similar indicator after the list name at the top. No indicator otherwise unless you check the gear pop up. Looks totally normal otherwise

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.25 Beta 4 years 6 months ago #32253

• Hexaphim
  • Fresh Boarder
I got my first beta build this morning, and only had time to sync and read a couple of comics.

Pairing the device was not painless; I had to manually enter the IP address of my iPad in comicrack.ini. I didn't check my firewalls and stuff to see if the port was blocked, but since I was able to pair it when I entered the IP manually I'm guessing the port is available? I'm not sure how you can make this process foolproof, but I usually don't have any problems connecting to my devices over wifi.

Anyway, I was able to sync the comics I wanted to, and I must say that I'm very happy with what I'm seeing. This app will most definitely be replacing ComicZeal as my comic reader of choice! I didn't have much time to do any proper testing, so I didn't encounter any bugs (apart from the white bar on the left hand side mentioned before, which went away after pulling in the list panel solved that).

There are quite a few unconventional button graphics compared to "standard" iOS apps, so I pretty much had to guess what the different buttons did (including three different types of arrows to move forward and backwards). This is definitely not a problem once you get used to it, but maybe you should include some sort of tutorial that runs when you first open the app?

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.25 Beta 4 years 6 months ago #32255

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I got my first beta build this morning, too, I waited for it all day yesterday, but I was already sleeping when it came out.

I didn't had much time at morning, I just started it for a few minutes, and I didn't have to set any IP, CRWIN saw my ipad right away, and everything worked fine.
Now I'm working, but tonight I will come with my first "review". :)

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.25 Beta 4 years 6 months ago #32256

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
CRIOS started basically as an UI port of the Android version. But it was always the plan to make a version that honors the iOS design language, but still keeps the basic ComicRack design (one of the reasons why I decided to make a native iOS rewrite and not some cross platform port).

I think we're slowly closing in.

At least for me the basic usability of the reader is almost there now. How it feels to page in the reader, open comics etc.

There's still the open Comic Info/Rating dialog issue. But the rest is tuning (including replacing some of the Android icons with specific iOS icons/labels).
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by cYo.

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.25 Beta 4 years 6 months ago #32258

• docdoom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 89
CRIOS does look very, very good in the current state: impressive work!

As Mammut I didn't had much time to test it yet because the release was delivered very late (or early?) last night. One thing, though, that needs to be fixed IMHO is the white frame at the left when you have not wiped the "list menu" in yet. I tried almost everything, tipping on the white frame, double tipping and so forth but had no I idea that a simple wiping would do. So I think it would be best if the "list menu" would be displayed by default as soon as you start CRIOS for the first time.
I have some more annotations about minor things and will post them as soon as I'm back home from work and inspect CRIOS a bit more.
Author of the CR Data Manager. Download and manual at google code - please post feature requests and bugs here

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.25 Beta 4 years 6 months ago #32260

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder
I tried some features. In overall CRIOS will be a great app, thank you for it. It's a real bless that I don't have to mess with the files all the time, just sync them, and read.

These are based on my first impression, I hope these will be helpful.

Problems:

1. I pressed the Synchronize Now button in the Settings, and then the Abort button after about 10 seconds. CRIOS said "Aborting..." and nothing happened for 1-2 minutes (only the Settings icon did go round, and the progress bar did go forward a little). Then finally it refreshed the library with 9 comics (of the 19 in that list which I synced). I guess it scheduled those 9 comics already, and we had to wait for them, but I think that 1-2 minutes is too long time for an abort process (actually it needs to be immediate).

2. I think there is some trouble with the View buttons at the bottom. The first and the third are the same Thumbnails view. The second (which I thought is a list view) is a Tiles view. So there are 3 buttons, but only 2 views, there is no list view. Or is this normal?

Suggestions (some opinions would be great):

1. Need an option to turn off the appearing page number. I already requested it in a previous thread, but now it's "official". :)

2. CRIOS could show the comics which are synced, while syncing them. And maybe it could show the thumbnail of the actual comic, too , with a progress bar on it. I know that it says the series titles below the progress bar now in the settings window, but it's too minimal compared to other graphic-richer features.
And I think there could be a text that x/y comics synchronized, z minutes remaining or something. There is not enough information for the user.

3. There could be a more noticeable way to show the finished comics. There is a green bar now, but if there are a lot of comics, it just "disappears in the crowd". Maybe it would be better if the finished comics' cover would be black and white? I don't know, just an idea.

4. I read in a previous thread that this is intended but I thought I add my vote.
The double pages. We need an option to fit both pages at the same time in portrait view also, because it makes sense if it is a 2-page graphic.
The orientation is locked to portrait on my ipad because I like to read books and comics lying on my couch, and I hate it when it accidentally changes orientation every time when I move wrong. So I have to turn off the lock and change orientation to view the full graphics, then lock the orientation again. It's just frustrating this way.
We have to zoom in to the text in portrait and landscape mode, too, because the ipad's screen is smaller than the half of 2 real comic pages, so the text is too small in most of the cases. So it doesn't really matter which orientation we use to view it.
In the Comixology app we can view the full graphic and zoom in if we want.
In Comic Zeal we can also view the full 2-page graphic in portrait view.
Because Comic Zeal is downgrading the HD comics to the tablet's display, I bought Comic Reader! last year and there unfortunatelly we can't view the 2-page graphics in portrait mode, it's the same as CRIOS now.

Anyway, it's great that we can view it as 2 separate pages in portrait mode, it can be useful, it's like an auto zoom, but I think it's just wrong that there is no other option for the user.

Another possibility for an option: if the orientation is locked, automatically rotate the double pages.

Of course, I mean that there could be an option in the Settings for these, the actual method is good for default.

5. The Web link in the comic information window could be a real link as in other apps.

6. At the rating window there could be twitter, facebook or other social network links (and maybe a button to send our review to ie. comicvine). I just occasionally (as I remember 3 times in my life) used the twitter feature in the Comixology app, but I know that a lot of people use those links.

Nit-picking:

1. At New comics CRIOS says that "No comic added in the last 14 days" But I just synchronized 9 comics for the very first time.
edit: I synced more comics, now I see that it's the Added date of CRWIN. So okay, it's fine, but still... I think it's a little misunderstandable, at least there could be an option for New comics in CRIOS.

Now I have to make dinner, etc, etc. But I'll continue to test it later.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Mammut.

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.25 Beta 4 years 6 months ago #32262

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Hexaphim wrote:
...three different types of arrows to move forward and backwards). This is definitely not a problem once you get used to it...
Even with CRA (& now with CRiOS), my opinion is that these 3 arrows are confusing & not of much use for me.

Only very rarely do I need to go back to the first page of a comic I am reading. Sometimes when the book is very bad & I feel like going to the last page to 'finish' it off, I try to use the arrow, but mostly use the swiping of the thumbnail bar at the bottom. I have, till date, never 'jumped' to another book from the middle of an open book, so that arrow is also not needed. And lastly, I don't use the arrow to go to the next page, what with the beautiful thumbnails below.

I agree that the first two arrows may be of some use, but the one which you tap to go to the next page is not needed & may be removed, fit the sake of making the interface less confusing.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.25 Beta 4 years 6 months ago #32263

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder
I like it when I tap the left or right top, it jumps to the previous or next comic, it's a great cover view feature. :) If I use 0-day week lists, it's a very good way to browse throught the new comics.

(By the way I didn't know about it, accidentally happened.)
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Mammut.

Re: ComicRack for iOS 0.9.25 Beta 4 years 6 months ago #32264

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
Hexaphim wrote:
...three different types of arrows to move forward and backwards). This is definitely not a problem once you get used to it...
Even with CRA (& now with CRiOS), my opinion is that these 3 arrows are confusing & not of much use for me.

Only very rarely do I need to go back to the first page of a comic I am reading. Sometimes when the book is very bad & I feel like going to the last page to 'finish' it off, I try to use the arrow, but mostly use the swiping of the thumbnail bar at the bottom. I have, till date, never 'jumped' to another book from the middle of an open book, so that arrow is also not needed. And lastly, I don't use the arrow to go to the next page, what with the beautiful thumbnails below.

I agree that the first two arrows may be if done use, but the one which you tap to go to the next page is not needed & may be removed, fit the sake of making the interface less confusing.

Yeah, it was a little overcrowd at first, that's sure.

For the next and prev comic buttons there are the left and right upper tap areas.
For the next and prev page buttons there are the left and right side tap areas.

If there would be a good instruction image at the first time then there would be no need to duplicate them.

Only the first and last page have real sense. But maybe those could go to the left and right bottom areas? That way there would be more room for the page thumbnails. Or that way there could be room for an undo ("jump back") button if we accidentally pressed one. :)
Moderators: crios
Time to create page: 0.465 seconds

Who's Online

We have 170 guests and 5 members online