Discussion about the current prerelease (non market) version of ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: ComicRack for iOS 1.0.16 Beta

ComicRack for iOS 1.0.16 Beta 2 years 5 months ago #42241

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
huffj wrote:
Thanks for the clarification.

I admit I have only been a user for a little over a year so I don't have the experience with release cycles. And this may not be the best place to get a response, but none of the threads are getting responses. At least this topic was posted by crios.

Yeah, I've just become so accustomed to how the app works, that I try not to think about improvements. The page turn transitions are pretty bad. Tap areas are inconstant. The library always reloads if you switch to another app, etc. I think folders on CRiOS on a cosmetic improvement would be great.

I fully agree with huffj. It's my personal opinion that the app needs updating, not just for the sake of an update, but to keep up with the times (iOS9?), to keep it relevant, and obviously, to fix a few bugs here & there.

I feel very, very sad to see the stagnancy that has crept in ComicRack (windows as well as iOS). I always say that corrosion starts when you think that you've achieved perfection. Is it that, or just a loss of interest, I'm unsure. :(
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: huffj

ComicRack for iOS 1.0.16 Beta 2 years 5 months ago #42242

• 600WPMPO
JemAsCR wrote:
Is something not working in the iOS app that warrants an update? I have had zero issues with the application and I use it daily. You want an update just for the sake of an update?
When I was using my old iPhone with iOS5, I thought that it was perfect. I had zero issues with it, and I used it daily. Today, we are using iOS8, and talking about iOS9 in a month. Why? If an-almost perfect OS needs regular updates, why shouldn't a decent software like ComicRack be updated, say, once a year? I know it very well that we are not Apple. We are essentially cYo (and crios). I understand that. No matter what, I don't see why updating an app at least yearly is not possible.

And, if we've nothing more to give, let us bring CRW out of beta, and make ComicRack for IOS a free app.

:(

The following user(s) said Thank You: huffj

ComicRack for iOS 1.0.16 Beta 2 years 5 months ago #42265

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Well, I have to agree but I know people have other things going on in their lives as well. It's a delicate balance and ultimately, if real work is paying the bills vs a side project, you have to focus there. Maybe it's family, etc.

Regardless, I use the iOS version daily and it functions well. I never used the Android version so maybe it's a case of "if you've never seen it, you don't know what you're missing" type thing. :laugh:

Anywho, hope all is well for cyo, etc.

Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

ComicRack for iOS 1.0.16 Beta 2 years 5 months ago #42266

• sykoone
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
600WPMPO wrote:
If an-almost perfect OS needs regular updates, why shouldn't a decent software like ComicRack be updated, say, once a year?

If software "needs" updates, then it's not near perfect. Besides, we all know the ios updates are just to keep people upgrading. :)

Seriously though, if everything is working fine, I don't really see the need for an update. Now, if it's buggy, or incompatible with the latest ios version, that's a different story.

ComicRack for iOS 1.0.16 Beta 2 years 5 months ago #42269

• 600WPMPO
riddlemethis wrote:
Well, I have to agree but I know people have other things going on in their lives as well. It's a delicate balance and ultimately, if real work is paying the bills vs a side project, you have to focus there. Maybe it's family, etc.
3-4 years back, I made one edition of the ComicRack manual (was it the 4th or the 5th edition, I don't remember) in between changing my daughter's diapers. :laugh:

My point is that you'll always 'find' time for what you love. If you're not 'finding' time, maybe you don't love it anymore.

sykoone wrote:
if everything is working fine, I don't really see the need for an update. Now, if it's buggy, or incompatible with the latest ios version, that's a different story.
With the everything's-fine-and-no-updates-needed concept, we would still be using Windows 98 and iOS 4. :P

Inactivity leads to loss of interest, and then ultimately to death. I've always maintained that ComicRack will start its journey towards oblivion the day when cbanack stops updating his scraper. With no developer interest into maintaining ComicRack, who knows when cbanack's interest will start to wane?

We are not talking here about the once-upon-a-time-famous weekly/monthly updates. I'm just wishing for 1 or 2 updates per year. A little word now & then from the bosses saying that they're here, and its not dead yet. Helping the users get over the problems they're facing. Improving the software with new features and eliminating the bugs.

Instead of applauding laziness & justifying excuses, we should here be encouraging cYo (& crios) into keeping intact their interest in the software, letting it stay alive and relevant.

Let the dream not die... :(

The following user(s) said Thank You: docdoom

ComicRack for iOS 1.0.16 Beta 2 years 5 months ago #42270

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
We've had "silent" moments in the past, but never this long (IIRC).

I think what upsets most people, more than the lack of "updates", is the lack of any sort of communication.
I would love to receive an update every few months, but at the same time, I can't complain too much about the current state of the software.
But, when bugs appear, a complete lack of acknowledgement is frustrating, and has turned many people away.

At this point, I'd prefer to see CR become OSS and maintained by the community, rather than see it wither and die.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, Mammut

ComicRack for iOS 1.0.16 Beta 2 years 5 months ago #42272

• 600WPMPO
kenjio wrote:

I think what upsets most people, more than the lack of "updates", is the lack of any sort of communication.
I would love to receive an update every few months, but at the same time, I can't complain too much about the current state of the software.
But, when bugs appear, a complete lack of acknowledgement is frustrating, and has turned many people away.

At this point, I'd prefer to see CR become OSS and maintained by the community, rather than see it wither and die.

I agree with kenjio, word by word, specially the last line.

ComicRack for iOS 1.0.16 Beta 2 years 5 months ago #42273

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Well said, I agree.

kenjio wrote:

ComicRack for iOS 1.0.16 Beta 2 years 3 months ago #42506

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
huffj wrote:
Thanks for the clarification.

I admit I have only been a user for a little over a year so I don't have the experience with release cycles. And this may not be the best place to get a response, but none of the threads are getting responses. At least this topic was posted by crios.

Yeah, I've just become so accustomed to how the app works, that I try not to think about improvements. The page turn transitions are pretty bad. Tap areas are inconstant. The library always reloads if you switch to another app, etc. I think folders on CRiOS on a cosmetic improvement would be great.

The most annoying thing to me is going from landscape to portrait takes you to the right hand page not the left hand page but as you said I've gotten used to it and deal with it.
  • Page:
Moderators: crios
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Who's Online

We have 202 guests and 7 members online