Welcome, Guest
Here you can report bugs of the iOS version

TOPIC: iOS 10 beta - don't upgrade

iOS 10 beta - don't upgrade 1 year 4 months ago #45644

• pax0707
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Just a friendly warning since iOS development looks dead.
Layout is borked and comics are unreadable.

Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by pax0707.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

iOS 10 beta - don't upgrade 1 year 4 months ago #45652

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 247
Hmm. This was bound to happen at some point. Clearly someone needs to volunteer to maintain the IOS app or it will be left behind.

iOS 10 beta - don't upgrade 1 year 4 months ago #45654

• pax0707
  • Junior Boarder
I just can't see how maintaining an iOS companion app isn't viable.

Any CR user that owns an iPad should want to have it.
Make lists and sort things on your PC and then just automatically sync x unread from each list.

iOS 10 beta - don't upgrade 1 year 4 months ago #45662

• PhMar
  • Senior Boarder
Well, it is still a beta, so it might be a false alarm, but anyway I agree that is is bound to happen, I even wrote it here some months ago.

I also does not understand how there is no volunteer to pick up the task of crios. But I don't know the conditions that cYo make, as he is pretty "close" to his code, this was discussed at length before.

In any case, without wanting to make a threat, if CRIOS stops working when IOS 10 is out, I will search for an other way to read my comics, since my iPad is my only reading tool today. From what I know, there are no really better way at the moment (although I stil struggle by synchro) , and I would be sad to leave CR, that I use and love, but that could happen.

iOS 10 beta - don't upgrade 1 year 4 months ago #45663

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
PhMar wrote:
I also does not understand how there is no volunteer to pick up the task of crios. But I don't know the conditions that cYo make, as he is pretty "close" to his code, this was discussed at length before.

As I understand it from last time he is looking for somebody to take the crios on. But clearly that person would need experience writing for IOS. Also, one post in a bug forum is not an efficient method of recruitment. So I wanted to at least mention it again.

We have been in this situation before with beta versions, so it isn't necessarily a problem. But the specific message reminds me of when Apple stipulated that all apps had to be optimised for every resolution. Will they soon stipulate that they should all contain processor optimisation?

Plus it has been increasingly evident over the last few years that following the ios update treadmill is a bad idea because what you gain in functionality always has a trade off in the overall performance of your device. In the long run you end up with a very slow feeling device and you end up thinking it is the hardware at fault and upgrading, which may be me being cynical but I have seen this cycle happen three times now.

iOS 10 beta - don't upgrade 1 year 3 months ago #45684

• Jbrenner3
  • Fresh Boarder
I fully understand what a beta is and the risks of using betas on primary device.

That being said.

I hope this does resolve itself with the official iOS 10 release or that development gets picked up. Otherwise it needs to be taken out of the App Store. I just purchased this app not 2 months ago and I won't be too happy if it becomes unusable less than 6 months later. They shouldn't be selling an app that is not functional.

iOS 10 beta - don't upgrade 1 year 3 months ago #45685

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Being taken out of the store doesn't delete the app from your device. And no one is forcing you to follow the update treadmill. (Apart from an annoying red number on settings I am learning how to live with.

iOS 10 beta - don't upgrade 1 year 3 months ago #45769

• pax0707
  • Junior Boarder
Beta 2 - still borked.

iOS 10 beta - don't upgrade 1 year 3 months ago #45772

• PhMar
  • Senior Boarder
Well, now it is beggining to smell fishy. iOS10 is supposed to be released in a couple of months, so the code should be stable enough in beta2.

I can see myself delaying the upgrade a little bit, but CR will definitively not stop me to move on. If CRiOS does not work with iOS10, it will be the end of it, not just for me, but for everyone in a really short time.

We definitively need to head from cYo!

iOS 10 beta - don't upgrade 1 year 3 months ago #45795

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
This is what makes me nervous with each update to iOS. I keep expecting that CR will eventually fail entirely.

I've been experiencing tiny issues each week with one or two books where the app will crash out of no where. It's always specific to a book seemingly selected at random from different scanner groups. Each week I get at least one that will not let me look at a book for about 15-20 seconds before the app crashes back to the home screen. Loads right back up and if I pick any other book, it's fine. When I try to open the book that CRiOS crashed on, it crashes again within 15 seconds or so of opening.
So I know it has problems and I know it definitely needs to receive an update, I just wish cYo could find someone that will do just that. It doesn't need a fancy update, just optimization to the latest iOS version. That's it. I don't think any of us who use it want to see it have any major changes really unless it's 99% ready and working (since we know there is always going to something that will need improving on).
I can't imagine trying to find something else to use for book reading since I don't do that at my computer. I'm definitely not going to dump my collection online in a cloud service and have to pay the fees to hold a 270GB collection and growing. I spend enough money on streaming services and internet already. Most other apps I've come across expect access to DropBox or Google Drive to work as a way of transferring files between the device and a PC. Not only that, but they don't have a very good list of features like CRW and CRA/iOS has. I'm a list-a-holic I guess you could say. I organize all my books in smart lists and sync from there. No other reader apps offer that unfortunately. It's "drop them in to iTunes file sync one at a time" or "grab them from Dropbox or Google Drive one at a time." It's time wasted that CR has eliminated.

So I guess with that rant, I would hope to see something get updated for iOS10 if the app loses the ability to work entirely.
Moderators: crios
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Who's Online

We have 175 guests and 2 members online