Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas for new features
  • Page:

TOPIC: Streaming Comics?

Streaming Comics? 4 years 2 months ago #36848

• Ulvirfaust
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,
I'm new to the app but when I bought it I envisioned that it would show me what comics were on my computer via the ComicRack app in Win 7 and then I'd select the ones I wanted to read and they'd transfer to my iPad. So basically, the app would act as a server for my thousands of comics stored on my computer. Is that a possibility? Or maybe it's there and I haven't been able to find it. Anyways, let me know your thoughts. Thanks...

BTW, the Windows App is a lifesaver with the Comic Vine plug-in. Great idea.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Ulvirfaust.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Streaming Comics? 4 years 2 months ago #36966

• solidus0079
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Kind of. Create reading lists (or smart reading lists) and link it up with the iPad to sync them. If you want to keep it simple, just make one list (and call it iPad or something) then drag all your stuff. Then pair the device to the Windows version via Edit menu -> Devices. Set your options accordingly, if you only want 50 unread comics ordered by publication date that will automatically swap out for ones you just read, etc. It won't work via the internet, just when your iPad is on the same network as your computer. But it's really helpful, and you can put a lot of comics on your iPad if you use the optimize size feature.

Re: Streaming Comics? 4 years 2 months ago #36997

• ksandersbna
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Just to add to what solidus mentioned, I have created three smart lists: DC Pull list, Marvel Pull list and one I call Oddballs to sync. Both DC and Marvel are smart lists that display comics from the past 120 days. In CR, under devices, I select those lists I want to sync with the ipad. That's it. Now every week when I add the comics, they are automatically segregated for me and all I have to do is sync them to my device. The first time I tried it, I knew what the caveman must have felt when they first saw fire. I love it.

The oddballs list are the ones I manually add to (right click | add to list) and usually include those one offs I want to catch up on.

I've been experimenting with filtering out some of the comics that I don't care for (FF anyone?) which so far seems easy.

Re: Streaming Comics? 4 years 2 months ago #37003

• Ulvirfaust
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I've been doing something similar and it's been working. It'd be nice, however, if the process could be made more streamlined. Like I said before, if the app could also act as a server between the iPad and ComicRack on the PC so you could pick and choose the comics u want to bring into your iPad, that'd make this app unequaled and invaluable. The app is already the best I've found (iPad and PC) so that little addition would probably make this the only app any avid comic fan would use. I really think it'd be worth the time and effort to CR's creator. Some of the apps out there already offer similar server features but the UI just sucks compared to CR. Here's hoping he gets a chance to read and consider this idea.

Re: Streaming Comics? 4 years 2 months ago #37009

• Puck
  • Fresh Boarder
That would be pretty cool, to be able to view your entire library from your iPad and just copy over what you want. I have mine set up simple, to just sync whatever isn't read, and whatever is read on my iPad goes poof. Works for me since I'm currently only reading new releases.

I would like to see what all I have in my library from my iPad though, even if it were just a text file list of titles that updated with every sync.

Re: Streaming Comics? 4 years 3 weeks ago #37420

• foghat
  • Fresh Boarder
This would be brilliant. Would love to be able to browse my entire comic library from my ipad - without having to load every comic onto it.

Kinda like Plex for comics. :)

Re: Streaming Comics? 4 years 3 weeks ago #37434

• heyyu
  • Fresh Boarder
Newbie here. This is exactly how I was hoping to use ComicRack, as a Plex for comics, streamed to my tablets. To be honest, I find the desktop version of ComicRack quite intimidating. So many options/features.

Re: Streaming Comics? 4 years 3 weeks ago #37446

• Ulvirfaust
  • Fresh Boarder

I have managed to find somewhat of a work-around for streaming the comics from my PC to my iPad. Basically, I use a separate free app called TeamViewer. It allows u to access your PC desktop via your iPad. So, I'll use TeamViewer to open ComicRack on my PC via my iPad and check the comics I want I want to transfer. Then I just close the TeamViewer app and open CR on my iPad and hit SYNCHRONIZE and the comics will transfer. It's a convoluted way of streaming and hopefully CR will add that feature someday so we won't have to go to these lengths but it DOES work in the meantime. Not to mention, TeamViewer is a handy app to have anyways. Just be sure you have the companion program running on your PC (the app's description in the Apple App Store will tell you where to download it, I believe). Well, I hope this helps...

Re: Streaming Comics? 4 years 2 weeks ago #37463

• Boojew
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I've been using the app since it launched and this is by far my #1 request. I will often add a series only to find 1 issue was missing due to incorrect tagging or because it was a crossover issue. I've been using Ignition to work around this, but the abiliy to create smartlists from my ipad (or even manually select) would be amazing.

Re: Streaming Comics? 4 years 2 weeks ago #37485

• Ulvirfaust
  • Fresh Boarder
Boojew wrote:
I've been using the app since it launched and this is by far my #1 request. I will often add a series only to find 1 issue was missing due to incorrect tagging or because it was a crossover issue. I've been using Ignition to work around this, but the abiliy to create smartlists from my ipad (or even manually select) would be amazing.

Yeah, using a remote desktop utility isn't ideal but at least it works for now. I've seen Ignition before and it's really full featured but it also cost's over $100, if I remember correctly. I like TeamViewer cos it's free and it gets the job done. I usually don't spring for the paid apps unless they're particularly useful(as in the case of ComicRack, hehe). I actually used the PC version of CR before I got it for my iPad and I mistakenly thought it streamed the comics already. It's still the best working and looking comic app out there, so I can't really complain about that.
  • Page:
Moderators: crios
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Who's Online

We have 233 guests and 2 members online