Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Ways the windows default image viewer is better than Comic R

Ways the windows default image viewer is better than Comic R 9 years 5 months ago #1103

ack.

#1. Doesn't have a stupid preview window you can't ever get rid of

#2. Doesn't take up 5 minutes to load

more reasons coming
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Ways the windows default image viewer is better than Comic R 9 years 5 months ago #1114

• snorbaard
  • Junior Boarder
That's a bit harsh, don't you think?
You can't fairly compare a simple image viewer with a database-driven library-type application.

The thumbnail (as has been mentioned exhaustively now), can be turned off.
The loading time sounds like a system problem. I'm guessing you didn't point it at a folder with only fifty comic-files in it?
Either your machine is (a) Slow, (b) Doesn't have enough memory, or (c) Still busy running through your massive collection of files trying to make an ordered, indexed, thumbnailed, sorted list of comics.

ComicRack is a complex progam that attempts to make sense out of chaos. It's not perfect yet, but it's darn close, and it's actively developed. Have you seen what a dog iTunes turns into on a Windows system when the library gets into the tens-of-GB range?

My point isn't to slam iTunes, by the way. Just to illustrate that it takes a lot of work to create a program like this, and if you prefer to use a simple image viewer to view your comics, that's your choice. ComicRack is more than a viewer, though.
To quickly open a CBR file while browsing through the folders, I still have CDisplay installed, but for MANAGING my comic collection, ComicRack comes out tops.
Last Edit: 9 years 5 months ago by snorbaard.

Re:Ways the windows default image viewer is better than Comi 9 years 5 months ago #1119

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 41
Sorry, just had to reply to your reasons.

1) The thumbnail can be deactivated if you don't like it.
2) My ComiRack launches automatically with a folder opened containing up to 500 different files for 12Go~. It never takes me more than 10sec to have the first thumbnails pop-up. And by thumbnails I mean cover. I can open any .cbr/.cbz/.rar/.zip in this folder without wondering when I'll be able to read it cuz', well, it's already in display...

The only thing that "takes time", like 3/4mn tops, is when you have to scan for the first time a folder containing a large number of files. Once it's been made, it loads almost instantly.

Sure, ComicRack ain't perfect. Sure there are improvements to be made, options to be added, etc... But it's a freeware, and a damn good one.

Just try and open a .cbr/.rar file with the windows image browser. In fact, just try and open a .cbr/.rar file without winrar/7zip/etc installed on your computer.

Just my 2 cents. B)
Working on re-uploading the FR manuals.
Last Edit: 9 years 5 months ago by {Oo}.
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds

Who's Online

We have 243 guests and one member online