Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Scanner information

Scanner information 8 years 1 month ago #12118

Comicrack has rapidly become my primary tool for reading digital comics, but I'm still having a few small problems completely integrating my folder-based collection. Currently, I'm stumped as to what to do with the scanner tags.

Right now, I've got them compartmentalized in the filename within brackets, for simple reg-ex parsing. But I'm not sure where to keep them in Comicrack? I could extract them to the TAGS or NOTES field, but there are already things in there. And I'd like to be able to give them their own field for simple reconstruction of the filename, should something damage those.

With the Catalog tab now available, I've also thought about putting them in the OWNER field. It's not exactly a SCANNER field, but it's close.

What do the rest of you do with the scanner information? Throw it away? Store it in tags or notes? I'm hoping for a good idea, or at least, consensus.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Scanner information 8 years 1 month ago #12128

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 93
I throw it away. (That probably makes me a bad person.)

Re: Scanner information 8 years 1 month ago #12130

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 600
Cartographer wrote:
What do the rest of you do with the scanner information? Throw it away? Store it in tags or notes? I'm hoping for a good idea, or at least, consensus.
I remember requesting cYo for a scanner metadata field.. but there was no positive response.. maybe he doesn't want/like it. So, I use the Tags field exclusively for the scanners (yes, I do not put anything else in the tags but the scanners' name).

I use the Toolbox script for this..

Just one click and 9 out of 10 times, it gets the scanners' name correctly..
Cartographer wrote:
With the Catalog tab now available, I've also thought about putting them in the OWNER field. It's not exactly a SCANNER field, but it's close.
That sounds quite OK.. may try it someday.. ;)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Scanner information 8 years 1 month ago #12132

• bugger
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Shinrai wrote:
If you scan a out of print document for a library your Indiana Jones, if you do it for everybody on the web your a Criminal.
On the other hand most Scanners want credit in form of fame for their fake names, yet they are taking away at least a small amount of financial credit to the actual creators.
My point is that the "good guy" is always the guy with the most power, so don't worry about it and just do what feels right.

Re: Scanner information 8 years 1 month ago #12135

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 600
bugger wrote:
Shinrai wrote:
If you scan a out of print document for a library your Indiana Jones, if you do it for everybody on the web your a Criminal. On the other hand most Scanners want credit in form of fame for their fake names, yet they are taking away at least a small amount of financial credit to the actual creators. My point is that the "good guy" is always the guy with the most power, so don't worry about it and just do what feels right.
I find this out of context. We are not discussing the morality / immorality issues related to the scanners, we are discussing the way in which you manage the scanners' name with ComicRack.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Scanner information 7 years 11 months ago #12996

• Kerviel
  • Fresh Boarder
With comic book archives reaching 10's of thousands of issues for many collections, the amount of space taken up by scanners tags within the archive would start to be of a significant amount of space. I am curious if any of you have started going through and removing the image tags from within the archive manually or with using the deleted pages function within comic rack and then converting to CBZ.

It seems that most tags used to be really small around 25-50k but lately it seems they are getting larger and somewhat out of hand and I've seen them as large as 2mb. You start adding a couple hundred comics with these extra 2MB tag files inside of them and it starts taking up a serious amount of your Hard Drive space.

Re: Scanner information 7 years 11 months ago #12997

Kerviel wrote:
With comic book archives reaching 10's of thousands of issues for many collections, the amount of space taken up by scanners tags within the archive would start to be of a significant amount of space. I am curious if any of you have started going through and removing the image tags from within the archive manually or with using the deleted pages function within comic rack and then converting to CBZ.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I've reached a point where drive space isn't a major issue anymore. But I wouldn't be opposed to a function that allowed for bulk removal of certain page types. Things like the scanner tags, variant covers or the advertising pages (I'd never remove those fluffy bits of nostalgia, but I know some people who don't want them.) As long as the scanner is clearly identifiable, which I keep marked in the file name, the internal tag image might be redundant.

Though, before I had my standard system, I did have to go into a lot of unlabeled comics and get the scanner information from the tag image. So if that was gone, I'd have been out of luck.

Re: Scanner information 7 years 11 months ago #12999

• Kerviel
  • Fresh Boarder
Cartographer wrote:
I can't speak for everyone else, but I've reached a point where drive space isn't a major issue anymore. But I wouldn't be opposed to a function that allowed for bulk removal of certain page types. Things like the scanner tags, variant covers or the advertising pages (I'd never remove those fluffy bits of nostalgia, but I know some people who don't want them.) As long as the scanner is clearly identifiable, which I keep marked in the file name, the internal tag image might be redundant.

Though, before I had my standard system, I did have to go into a lot of unlabeled comics and get the scanner information from the tag image. So if that was gone, I'd have been out of luck.

I'm not having an issue at the moment with hard drive space as I have a dedicated 1TB for my comic book collection, but as it's currently at around 500gb, I bet 20-30GB of that is used up in scanner image tags. For me the biggest issue comes when I transfer it over to my iPad for reading on there, then those extra pages taking up space becomes a whole different ballgame as there is a small limit on space available for extra files, etc.

Now I am just working on compiling a list of all the scanner tags image file names as I found a way to remove them using a batch file command line process with winrar.
REM Windows Version
for %%I in (*.cbr) do "C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe" d -inul "%%I" Scanner_tag_01.jpg Scanner_tag_02.jpg
pause

All you have to do is post that into a text file and name it whatever.bat and put it into the folder with the files you want it to run on and it will remove any files that match what you have listed. That is assuming you installed winrar to the standard path, if not you will need to change that part of the code to reflect the correct location of your winrar install.

Use caution using this script as deleted files are not recoverable, so make sure you properly list the files you want removed and test it out on a copy of your files first. I copy all the files I want to run this on into a new folder and run it and then copy the files back overwriting the originals with the newer files once I know everything is ok.
Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Kerviel.

Re: Scanner information 7 years 11 months ago #13000

I hadn't thought about tablet technology yet, but that's a good point. The batch file seems like a good option, but it'd be a bit permanent for my tastes.

I'm not sure if a script could be built for this, but if prefixes or suffixes could be added to the file names of the image files within a Zip, such as "!" as a prefix for images marked as a cover, or "$" added to the end of page marked advertisement, the batch process could be automated further.

Within Comicrack, using another as-yet-unmade script, it may be possible to export a "portable" copy, eliminating all the extraneous data and saving the resulting file in an alternate location.

Re: Scanner information 7 years 11 months ago #13001

• Kerviel
  • Fresh Boarder
I like your thinking. An option to export for tablet/mobile use would be so nice. Export to a temp folder for copying to tablets or mobile devices. Like when you use Photoshop, if you use CNTL+ALT+SHIFT+S it opens up a save for web dialog which saves a ton of space when saving an image to email or use on a website as it strips all unnecessary data, etc from the image file when it saves.

The issue here would be how does it determine what to keep and what to toss. In the meantime I'll keep building up a list of files to include in the batch to do it this way. I am curious if anyone else is doing the same or just ignores it.
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds

Who's Online

We have 149 guests and no members online