Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Scanner information

Re: Scanner information 6 years 8 months ago #13003

• Samael69
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Like most, I don't intentionally remove certain page types, unless I'm already in the archive for another reason. If a scanner sets their logo as the cover page, they're just asking to have it removed. I don't care if it's at the end or even middle, but it's immediately turfed if they set it as the cover. As for scanner tags, the only thing I use them for is searching the web for missing files. I don't store the tags, but I generally don't change the original file name either, unless it's obscenely long.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Scanner information 6 years 8 months ago #13004

The issue here would be how does it determine what to keep and what to toss. In the meantime I'll keep building up a list of files to include in the batch to do it this way. I am curious if anyone else is doing the same or just ignores it.
Unfortunately, I can't code script, so it's hard to make sensible suggestions. If I were designing a portable export plug-in, I'd use the page type system already built in. It can allow you to select what you think is most important in a comic.

A newly imported comic seems to default to the first image is the Front Cover, and everything else is Story. Likewise, by default, the Portable Exporter should only send Front Cover and Story pages. If you set something as an Advertisement or Editorial, it doesn't get exported.

But, if you want it to export other things, that should be an option. I know, when dealing with 1960's and 1970's comics, I love reading the old advertisements. Even if I was pressed for room, I'd still want them in there. But old letters pages or scanner tags? Not so much.

I would be interested in seeing the list of file names that you come up with for your batch. I've been thinking about standardizing the internal image file names for my CBZs, and that could be helpful in isolating the scanner tags.
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Cartographer.

Re: Scanner information 6 years 8 months ago #13005

• Kerviel
  • Fresh Boarder
@Samael69 - Scanner image tags at the start of the comic is what prompted me to start this whole process. Had it not been for having to go through pages and pages of comics checking cover images for this, I wouldn't have even paid much attention to the scanner image tags in terms of deletion in the first place.

@Cartographer - I didn't know there was a page type system built in, that's really good to know. However unless all the pages are properly set then it would almost be a bigger task to go through and mark all the ads, editorials and scanner image tags accordingly.

I completely agree with you regarding the old ads though, I get a kick out of reading them. I laughed so hard when I saw one about the Completely Awesome Star Wars game for the new Atari from back in the early 80's.

So far my list has just consisted of me opening some files and copying the scanner file name and pasting it into the script, eventually I'll have almost all of them in the script and it would automatically eliminate a majority of them. I was curious if anyone else has possibly added these to a list or text file somewhere. I am thinking of running a batch script using the winrar command line lb for list bare which would list just the file names of all files in archives as that would give me a quick at glance of file names and I could easily copy out the one I need to add to my deletion batch file.

Re: Scanner information 6 years 8 months ago #13007

• flips
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
There are tons of options in the export ecomic dialog. You can choose which types of pages to delete (as long as they are tagged appropriately). You can even resize images if you are pressed for space, that would save a lot more space than pulling out individual pages, etc. You could create a profile for mobile export which would export all the comics you select to a Tablet sync folder, making sure that you don’t overwrite the comics in the library or add them to the library.

Then you can do this export with smart lists, right from the comic rack interface. You could have a smart list for a alternate series or the last 3 months or whatever you want.

flips

Re: Scanner information 6 years 8 months ago #13008

flips wrote:
There are tons of options in the export ecomic dialog.

I really need to check the program's functionality before I start typing. That'll teach me to post from work. But that's excellent to know. That could make tablet transfers much more space-effective.

Re: Scanner information 6 years 8 months ago #13009

• flips
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kerviel

Re: Scanner information 6 years 8 months ago #13012

• Kerviel
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the link flips, I am going to read through that a bit more tonight.

As far as the code, it seems that almost all scanner image tags tend to start with xx or zz or zzz as to try and keep them at the very end of the comic, so this is the current batch file I am running to eliminate about 90% of them. I created one for .cbr and one for .cbz.
REM Windows Version
for %%I in (*.cbr) do "C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe" d -inul "%%I" zz*.jpg
pause
REM Windows Version
for %%I in (*.cbz) do "C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe" d -inul "%%I" zz*.jpg
pause

Again I have to stress to only run this on copies or when you are certain there are no other files in the archive that would start with zz.

The biggest worry would be on a title that starts with the letter Z as the naming convention would likely start with z.

I actually came across a few issues with 3 different tag images in a row.
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Kerviel.

Re: Scanner information 6 years 7 months ago #13405

• Snout Spout
  • Junior Boarder
Is there a code to make a batch file that will find the wildcarded files within the archives rather than deleting them?

Re: Scanner information 6 years 7 months ago #13407

• Kerviel
  • Fresh Boarder
find them and do what? There is a switch that will pop up a list of files within the archive, but it would only show them to you and you click ok and it would move to the next archive doing the same thing. Not sure what purpose that would serve.

Re: Scanner information 6 years 7 months ago #13430

• Snout Spout
  • Junior Boarder
Kerviel wrote:
find them and do what? There is a switch that will pop up a list of files within the archive, but it would only show them to you and you click ok and it would move to the next archive doing the same thing. Not sure what purpose that would serve.

I want to find the scanner tags first so I can make the scanner name part of the file name if it was removed. If I just do the straight delete, I've lost that information.
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Who's Online

We have 240 guests and 3 members online