Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Sharing our "Comicinfo.xml" files...

Sharing our "Comicinfo.xml" files... 9 years 4 months ago #1243

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
It seems that the database project and new version of wadegiles script will solve our problems, but at the time being, we are stuck and cannot get new info for our comics :( ... or can we? :)

wadegiles wrote two (among many others) beautiful and useful scripts to import/export the info from/to xml files. Since may of us scrubbed the comicbookdb.com with *the* script, we may have alreday much data that we might share... just export the xml files for the comics we have documented and share them via torrent, rapidshare, or whatever...

What do you guys think of this? Cyo? wadegiles?

I will wait for "permission" to do so from you both, but if you give me a go, I have xml files for almost all Vertigo comics, and more stuff.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Sharing our "Comicinfo.xml" files... 9 years 4 months ago #1245

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
That sounds like a great idea, at least for the interim. The torrent solution, off the top of my head, sounds easier to manage. I haven't messed with those scripts too much because I've haven't a reason to yet, but is it always one file per issue, or can it be one big XML file too? And are we able to search through the file for the best match?
... The failure to appreciate... is perfectly understandable, because the readership never evaluates old material in the context of the cultural climate in which it was created, or the state of the art at the time it was created.
Marty Pasko

Re:Sharing our "Comicinfo.xml" files... 9 years 4 months ago #1246

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
No and no :(

:P - Really, the script to output the xml info creates an xml for each comic with exactly the same name as the comic file... to put the info back in, it does the exact opposite... it searches for an xml file named exactly like the comic file. So, getting xml files from other people is not going to get your data in order rightaway, some tinkering (essentially renaming files) is to be needed. But I think it is worth it.

Re:Sharing our "Comicinfo.xml" files... 9 years 4 months ago #1247

• robstandard
  • Junior Boarder
The Guided Rename script should solve the issue of getting titles & XML filenames to match. I can serve the XML files via BitTorrent, I have crazy upload speeds on my seedbox.

Perezmu, how big are you Vertigo XML files all together?

Re:Sharing our "Comicinfo.xml" files... 9 years 4 months ago #1248

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
It's around 1350 files, and a mere 2MB.... so I guess bittorrent is a bit overkill... I gotta go now... will be back later tonight

Re:Sharing our "Comicinfo.xml" files... 9 years 3 months ago #1519

• wadegiles
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
This may be a tad obsolete due to the website greenlanternprime is working on, but the idea is still sound.

Re:Sharing our "Comicinfo.xml" files... 9 years 3 months ago #1679

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
It would be a wonderful way to populate glp's site, which is still lacking much info!

Re:Sharing our "Comicinfo.xml" files... 9 years 3 months ago #1681

• greenlanternprime
  • Expert Boarder
  • Me Grimlock.. Bad Ass!
I'm working on a way to submit data into the site using comic rack, my submit code does a big chunk of this already, the problem is you have to ensure that, information ties up, otherwise you'll have the data replicated all over the place, which is one of the problems with comicbookdb.

I have got a new version of the import script that makes submissions easier, by returning an unique CRDB code if you locate the series the issue is from, thats what the "NEW" item is for at the bottom of each series list.

I have found a way to import a lot of data over from by collectz database, but its not the best solution in the world as i have to take the database down to do it, as for missing data a lot of it is there, in the notes field. the only things that are out of date issues I don't read, and the newer issues, especally ones i don't read.

If people want to send me there comicbookdb.xml files I'll incoparate them.

Re:Sharing our "Comicinfo.xml" files... 9 years 3 months ago #1683

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
It seems your script are making great strides forward.

Actually I'am (was) also close for the database (also have some backend code running - frontend in CR is still missing). But I think you're closer then I am :)

That's one of the reasons I've not pressed this thing further in my own development cycle. I'm happy about everything I do not have to do myself :)

Cyolito, is it possible to implment the comicsDB lookup into the rack?

It's already enabled me to correctly tag a couple of hundred comics, to do this within the rack would make it so much easier to index my entire collection, (I have at least a couple of thousand. Shocked )

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:43 pm

Your first post ever in the old CR user forum showed a glimpse of your destiny ;)
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by cYo.
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Who's Online

We have 178 guests and 8 members online