Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Sick Beard for Comics – Now that would be cool…

Sick Beard for Comics – Now that would be cool… 6 years 5 months ago #14368

• flips
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
This isn’t the ideal place for this, but didn’t find any better location on the forum. I think I can stay within the rules of the forum rule with this post, but if it is too close for comfort then please let me know. I’m in no way condoning downloading copyrighted material.

If you haven’t seen Sick Beard, you should check it out. It is just an awesome app. It can be a huge time saver. I was thinking the other day how cool that would be to have that type of app for comics. The app could use the comicvine api and then you could subscribe to a series, a series arc, a character, or even a writer or artist. It could be a set and forget it to enable people to spend more time reading in ComicRack :).

It is open source so someone could develop from a branch of the code similar to how couch potato was developed.

flips
The topic has been locked.

Re: Sick Beard for Comics – Now that would be cool… 6 years 3 months ago #15460

• Adeiko
  • Fresh Boarder
Would love this :(

Re: Sick Beard for Comics – Now that would be cool… 6 years 2 months ago #15854

• 404notfound
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Had to register an account so I could reply --

I had an idea along these lines too. I reactivated my account with my usenet provider and found it now has 3 years of retention! What I'm thinking of writing is a plugin that will download and parse all the available comic headers and give you a search box for finding books, then you can select which ones to download and then downloads it to your collection.

I'll dig around the api and see what I can come up with.
Omniverse is now available for download at github.com/four-o-four/omniverse
The following user(s) said Thank You: primetime34

Re: Sick Beard for Comics – Now that would be cool… 6 years 2 months ago #16144

Any update on this? It would sure make life significantly easier for usenet users. Thanks in adavance.

Re: Sick Beard for Comics – Now that would be cool… 5 years 10 months ago #19107

• WTFox
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Bump. This would be amazing. :)

Re: Sick Beard for Comics – Now that would be cool… 5 years 8 months ago #20501

• 404notfound
  • Senior Boarder
I'm finally back to thinking about this :)

In the last week I've started doing some of the initial coding for this. I'm not going to do a plugin exactly for ComicRack but I do plan on integrating it somehow. If this isn't an appropriate forum for discussing this, I'll be happy to move it elsewhere.

So far what I've come up with is something that follow the Sickbeard/Couchpotato/Headphones model: a web interface that sends selected nzbs to Sabnzbd. One difference is, instead of relying on a nzb site like nzbmatrix, the application will download headers itself. This part of the application I'm working on right now and so far its working pretty well. Once I finish working the kinks out, I'll move on to the web frontend and hopefully a release.

I'd love to hear some suggestions or wants for this project. I picture at least one page that is a pull list for new releases, a search page to search for any of the comics in the database, and a preset page that lists many characters and each character jumps to a list of comics for that character. Any other ideas would greatly be appreciated.

404notfound

Re: Sick Beard for Comics – Now that would be cool… 5 years 8 months ago #20513

I am definnitely willing to help you out with this great idea. Count me in on any testing you'd like to do. I need to see it first, but if it it similar to couchpotato/sickbeard, then I'm sure it'll be great. Thanks.

Re: Sick Beard for Comics – Now that would be cool… 5 years 8 months ago #20516

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
primetime34 wrote:
I am definnitely willing to help you out with this great idea. Count me in on any testing you'd like to do. I need to see it first, but if it it similar to couchpotato/sickbeard, then I'm sure it'll be great. Thanks.

I fully support this! If I can help somehow, let me know!!!!

Re: Sick Beard for Comics – Now that would be cool… 5 years 8 months ago #20562

• 404notfound
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the interest everyone!

One thing I could use a hand with is coming up with a good source of current comics and their release schedule. Any suggestions for a RSS or a website that could be scraped to pull this information?

Re: Sick Beard for Comics – Now that would be cool… 5 years 8 months ago #20570

Isn't comic vine the one that everybody suggests? I believ they have an api similar to thetvdb
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds

Who's Online

We have 189 guests and 4 members online