Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: eComic Portability

eComic Portability 9 years 3 months ago #1660

I have a huge collection of cbr eComics when I started using ComicRack about a year ago. It's only natural that I started using it to manage my database - iTunes style (with titles, writers, pencillers, etc). So you can't imagine how frustrated I was when I moved my folders to another drive... All the metadata and months worth of work is lost! :angry:

eComic Portability has always been my problem until just recently, thanks to the new feature (xml info can now be embedded in cbz). So what I did is to convert all my collection to cbz and hwa-lah! All my problems are solved!

So I guess a big THANK YOU! is in order, and more power to the creator of ComicRack!

And may the Force be with you :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:eComic Portability 9 years 3 months ago #1667

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
You know, I've been considering doing this. Will it clear out the metadata during conversion? Are there any issues that anyone has experienced?
... The failure to appreciate... is perfectly understandable, because the readership never evaluates old material in the context of the cultural climate in which it was created, or the state of the art at the time it was created.
Marty Pasko
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Alan Scott.

Re:eComic Portability 9 years 3 months ago #1670

• wash
  • Junior Boarder
I also transferred my comics to another drive. It took some editing of the ComicDB.xml file but I saved all of my metadata.

The main idea was to just search and replace the drive letters in the file so that (in my case) all

"E:\Comics\..."

became

"I:\Comics\..."

Still, an easier and safer way would be cool.

I don't like changing the actual files themselves since I share them online and I don't want to distribute an altered scan if I can help it.
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by wash.

Re:eComic Portability 9 years 3 months ago #1755

To Alan Scott,

As of version 0.9.85 - the metadata were not lost during the conversion to cbz. However, out of 800 cbr files, 10 wouldn't convert. I tried to convert them again and again, but ComicRack failed everytime, without any error messages. Lucky for me there were only 10 so I manually converted them (rename the cbr to rar, extracted the images with winrar, compressed them with winzip and renamed the zip archive to cbz). Of course, I had to manually input the information again for those 10.

I'm only guessing that those 10 cbr files are already in zip format but had cbr filename extentions. I suspected it because ComicRack has embedded an xml file in each of them, although the info does not completely match the metadata. Anyway, it's only a guess so we'll have to wait what Mr. ComicRack programmer has to say...

Re:eComic Portability 9 years 2 months ago #1780

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Alan Scott - Same here, no prob, so far... however, just in case I first make a backup of the info in xml files using the Exportinfotoxml script (or something like that) that creates an xml file with the same name of the comics, and if needed, can be imported back.

Re:eComic Portability 9 years 1 month ago #2127

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
HI... I just started using ComicRack and I absolutely love it (long time CDisplay user previously). I am interested in having all my metadata saved to the individual files, like my mp3s.

From what I am seeing in this thread it looks like I can do this by having all my files in CBR and CBZ format? Are there any settings I have to change in ComicRack as well to acheive this, or is it automatic for CBZ and CBR files?

Thanks for the help.

Re:eComic Portability 9 years 1 month ago #2134

To Drybonz,

Embedding xml only works with CBZ and CB7 files... the ComicRack author explained why it wouldn't work on CBRs - something to do with winrar (used in creating cbr) and it's proprietary compression - blah blah :P

Anyway, all you have to do is convert your CBRs to CBZs or CB7s. Make sure that the "Write Metadata to Disk" option is checked in the Preferences ->Advanced/Other tabs.

Re:eComic Portability 9 years 1 month ago #2138

• damocles
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Will it work on .zip or .7z? Or just .CBZ or .CB7? :huh:

Re:eComic Portability 9 years 1 month ago #2139

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
just CB7 and CBZ.
ComicRack is not polluting every archive it finds :)
Last Edit: 9 years 1 month ago by cYo.

Re:eComic Portability 9 years 1 month ago #2141

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
OK, thanks... I see that option now.

This means I have a massive amount of file conversions to do. I really want all this metadata save to the file. Anyone have a tip on the fastest way to do these batch conversions... cbr to cbz that is?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.418 seconds

Who's Online

We have 199 guests and 10 members online